Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your fun family holiday stories with TUI - chance to win a £300 voucher

(125 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Dec-19 09:50:50

Most people spend their time counting down the days until their family holiday as soon as the flights and accommodation are booked. Family holidays give us a chance to escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but most importantly allow us to let loose and have fun. Maybe you’re an adrenaline junkie who heads for the biggest slide at the waterpark or perhaps your idea of fun is basking in the sun at the poolside with a good book in hand. With this in mind, TUI wants to hear about your most fun family holiday.

Here’s what TUI have to say: “At TUI, we know that your family holiday is a time to reconnect and have fun. That’s why we’ve designed hotels especially for families to make it the best week, or two, of the year. From allowing you to take your car seat or pushchair with you free of charge, to offering baby changing facilities, kids’ clubs and children’s buffets in resort, we’ve thought of every little detail to give you a hassle free and family-friendly holiday. We’d love to hear from Gransnetters about their favourite holiday moments with their family.”

If you were asked to name one family holiday that is most memorable to you as being “fun”, what would you say and why? What type of holiday do you feel you can get the most fun out of? Would you rather spend your time in good company, basking in the good weather or eating good food? What kind of activities do you do to make memories with your children on holiday? Perhaps you all jump into the pool the second you arrive at the resort? Or maybe you’d rather go on a family excursion to see the local sights and scenery?

Tell us about your most fun family holiday on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

McGilchrist41 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:23:32

One memorable holiday was years ago when the children were young and Tunisia was a fairly new holiday destination. The first night in the hotel we were presented with a menu in English on which one choice was,”.potted of the chef”, which caused some merriment. My husband, an hotelier himself, who also spoke French, went to reception and offered to translate the menu each day into English.This was gratefully accepted and from then on we were treated as friends instead guests.

makemineajammiedodger Thu 06-Feb-20 13:00:43

Best family fun holiday ever was a multi-site camping trip in France. We moved between several sites, each with a pre-pitched tent, and rented bikes to get ourselves around. Best episode was negotiating the purchase of a unicycle from a "brocante" which we all took turns learning to ride!! We still have the unicycle, and although I can no longer ride it, my grandchildren are leaning the art!

Dustyspringfieldfan Sun 02-Feb-20 10:41:45

If you were asked to name one family holiday that is most memorable to you as being “fun”, what would you say and why?

Spending hours on the beach at Hornsea, catching little crabs with mussels we found on the beach, eating sandwiches with my mum and dad and sister - spending no money - I think with hindsight they took us there because we are quite poor, and would not be lured by the amusements, funfairs and donkeys - we had an idyllic time.

What type of holiday do you feel you can get the most fun out of?

One where there is beautiful scenery, warm weather, a river or beach, and good food nearby.

Would you rather spend your time in good company, basking in the good weather or eating good food?

Good weather.

What kind of activities do you do to make memories with your children on holiday?

The same as my childhood, messing about in tidal pools, catching tiny crabs at Blackpool boating lake with mussels we found on the beach, and just not having a care in the world.

Perhaps you all jump into the pool the second you arrive at the resort?

No, I walk around the sights, getting my bearings - the pool is for the second day.

Or maybe you’d rather go on a family excursion to see the local sights and scenery?

Yes that would be lovely, the kids never liked it, but it's where we made our best memories - seeing sights, taking photos and relaxing on a coach.

lilmax0182 Wed 29-Jan-20 18:05:12

Our fun family moments are going away in the UK together. We don't have a lot of money so we try to make the most out of a staycation rather than going abroad. When we go away we tend to take outdoor games for the kids to play with together. They enjoy water fights with each other the most. Hiding behind caravans and trees to avoid being sprayed at. We also go on trips when we stay somewhere, we enjoy exploring the areas around and finding those hidden gems that nature has to offer us. One of our favourite finds was St Mary's Loch in the Scottish Borders. As a family being together and exploring together brings us the most joy and I love making special memories for my children such as these.

Jacquilk Tue 28-Jan-20 10:22:45

We always love going away as multiple generations.
One particularly good time was in a tiny villa with enormous grounds. Picking fruit and veg from the garden and cooking with it. The kids in the pool with the grandparents and a sleepover feel in the evenings with toasting marshmallows on the log burner.
The simple things, family all together are what counts

Grankarjo Mon 27-Jan-20 21:27:42

Mountains have come out tops every time! We took the kids up Snowdon when the three of them were just four (twins) and five, then the Lake District and then the Alps! Children never tire when they're engrossed and now we never tire of skiing with them and their children - it doesn't have to cost a fortune but skiing with our grandchildren is special! I'm not sure we'll keep up with them for much longer but lunching and Apres ski with them in the beautiful surroundings is just as magical!!

SuperMum1 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:54:02

Last July 2018 my family & my friends family went on Ben Nevis in the highlands of Scotland, it is the highest mountain in UK. We were a group of 8, 4 adults & 4 children. It was the most amazing experience for us as it was our first time up there, we went up in the Gondolas. It was so lovely & peaceful at the highest peak & so majestic. We've captured all this beautiful memories in photos & videos & this is one experience we will never forget. We all had a lot of fun & unforgettable memories.

libra10 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:42:14

As a child, my favourite holidays were to The Isle of Man. We boarded the ship and set sail, my mum loved it if the sea was choppy, we preferred a calm sail!

When we landed at Douglas, my two brothers and I couldn't wait to hit the beach, playing with huge beach balls, playing games, and building sand-castles, while our parents snoozed on rackety old deck chairs.

We loved going on the Manx electric railway, exploring the coast, Laxey Wheel and Ramsey, also going up Snaefell, on the mountain railway.

There always seemed such a lot to do, and the week holiday seemed to fly by.

theresacoo Mon 27-Jan-20 14:48:10

the best holidays have had a great pool in them! lots of activities for children have been great. meet lots of people that way.

inishowen Mon 27-Jan-20 13:39:15

We did a big family holiday to Tenerife last year. There were nine of us in three apartments. We were all inclusive which was brilliant for our four young grandchildren . Kids spent the days in the pools, while the adults took turns watching them. Great fun for all.

doglady Mon 27-Jan-20 13:05:16

Last year my daughter Jay was very lucky and won a TUI gift card worth 4k.She booked us a holiday to Antalya Turkey for my 67th birthday.We said at Sherwood resort AL,which was a beachfront hotel.Myself,daughter,my two grandchildren Decllan and Kaelan came as well.Great flights,family deluxe room TUI did us proud.Best holiday ever,company,food,weather,made this a memoral birthday.

Tillymint21 Mon 27-Jan-20 11:10:52

Our best holiday was with Canvas Holidays in Spain, up the coast from Barcelona. Loads to do, great pools with slides, local water park, beautiful coastline and accommodation that was really cheap and very sociable. The kids were aged 6-12 and met other friends on the campsite really easily, the tent was large, very comfortable and well equipped and we had a brilliant fortnight. It was perfect for our family’s age and stage at the time.

Angeleyes58xx Mon 27-Jan-20 11:09:30

Our first family holiday was the most fun we took our boys to Tunisia, they had never flown before and we had never been able to afford one, to see my boys faces when they saw the sea beach and sun will last with me forever especially now two of my boys don’t want to know me any more? I’m ? heart broken, it’s all over me and there father divorcing, we divorce when they were men, not left them when they were little, my youngest has a failed marriage and a little boy, it’s ok for him to leave his son as a baby, but not when you’re in your Thirty’s and fourty’s , my middle son has forgiven us, we were married for 34 years had known there father since I was 13,I have 3 beautiful granddaughter’s from my middle sone that I adore and I adore my wonderful son too, for sticking by me and his dad. It breaks my heart I’ve never seen my one granddaughter in person,I do get photos from my estranged sons partner which is nice of her, but no correspondence from him. I send birthday card ect with money in , no thank yous from him, so this year I have decided no more breaking my heart there will be no more cards or money, only to my estranged grand daughter. Sorry to harp on.

AlysonH Mon 27-Jan-20 10:44:19

When the boys were little they were happy doing anything on holiday - especially camping when there was the excitement of putting the tent up, snuggling into a sleeping bag, cooking on an outside stove and exploring the campsite. When they got older an activity holiday was best and our favourite was the first time we took them skiing. Activity all day, plenty to talk about in the evenings and always the possibility of beating mum and dad on the slopes...

Silvertongue Fri 24-Jan-20 16:36:56

We had a wonderful extended family holiday at a youth hostel in Wales. With an out of season exclusive use booking. we had the whole place to ourselves. The family are scattered so it was very special to gather over 30 across 3 generations and have fun together.

montydoo Thu 23-Jan-20 15:20:47

What type of holiday do you feel you can get the most fun out of?

A seaside break, with lots to do, nice places to eat, and a good transport links to see the sights. smile

Would you rather spend your time in good company, basking in the good weather or eating good food?

good company - hot weather just makes me want to sit in the shade.

What kind of activities do you do to make memories with your children on holiday?

Just being together, digging holes in the sand, swimming together, giving lots of eye contact and love, taking lots of photos, videos and eating together and listening and talking to one another smile

Perhaps you all jump into the pool the second you arrive at the resort?

I'd rather just watch the jumping nowadays smile

Or maybe you’d rather go on a family excursion to see the local sights and scenery?

I love the history and and scenery of a place, a guided tour (coach for further afield is a must)

leanfun Thu 23-Jan-20 14:55:00

Our most recent family holidays with all the family were trips to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor. The first time we rented a large house in Staffordshire, ordered online shopping to arrive as we did. Everyone helped with cooking etc. It was so successful that next time our son came from America with his family they wanted to back to Thomas Land and repeat family holiday but this time in Peak District. Family found lots of child related activities in the area. Happy memories.

toptaffy75 Thu 23-Jan-20 09:51:24

Our best holiday was at the Aleathon Holiday Village in Paphos, Cyprus. We booked it for a 'familymoon' as it was our honeymoon and we took our son.
It was fun filled with the fabulous entertainment for everyone and my son who never gets involved with clubs on offer even joined in with swim academy and some other activities. He even went to the chocolate party one evening. The staff were great and the place was very pretty which made it extra special. Food was great to and my son who is a fussy eater always found plenty to choose from.
We went to the Kings burial archeology site which was very interesting and a boat trip which great fun.
I would definitely go back again.

11unicorn Wed 22-Jan-20 14:44:46

Our best family holiday was with extended family at a resort in Calabria, Italy. We went together with my sister and family and my parents. We mixed up 1 day at the resort with next day out for adventures including walking a gorge, going to a local market, sightseeing at the big town. We ate 1 day at the resort and next day out to get a great variety. The resort offered child care which was important for the youngest, a pool which was important for my parents and a private beach which was important for the teenagers as there were games and sports activity organized by the resort. We all had a fabulous time as we all managed to tick something of our bucket list. We still often look at the photos when we have family get together which are rare as we live in different countries.

sunshine57 Sun 12-Jan-20 17:48:54

I have to think back 30 years to recall our best family holiday.
This started on Christmas Day when we left East Midlands airport on our way to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands.
We were able to do this as I had won some travel vouchers in a competition which allowed us to have a holiday which we could not have afforded otherwise.
The flight was amazing Father Christmas was on board and we were served Christmas lunch.Just imagine that happening these days.Our boys were allowed on the flight deck to meet the captain and to see what flying was all about.
We had a week on the island and travelled everywhere in a powder blue Fiat Panda.The beaches and the weather were amazing and it was a holiday I will never forget as it marked a special point in our lives when we said that one day we would return to the island.
And so we did.We sold our house in the UK and went to live on Fuerteventura where we still live to this day.The children are both grown up , one lives here and the other in the UK but that Christmas Day holiday was the start of a new life for us all.

Rabbit Sat 11-Jan-20 16:22:15

Our most memorable holiday was when my partner and I went to visit his niece who studied for a year in Paris. We walked everywhere, from a museum to a gallery to a park to a monument. It was always possible to find a quiet spot to have a picnic and rest: a back street with a fountain; a small park where people played chess, children were riding donkeys and went on a merry-go-round; a secluded old church with welcoming benches in a lush garden and a bell striking hours . We would like to return to Paris one day, to discover other hidden gems and make more happy memories.

trisher Fri 10-Jan-20 17:57:56

For me the last holiday is always the best one and I carry the memories with me through the year. Last summer it was a cottage on a farm in Cumbria where my GS fell in love with the goats he was allowed to feed , particularly the smallest one. He assured his dad it would fit in the back of the car and he would look after it if only he was allowed to take it home with him. We had to tell him that it would miss all the other goats.

vegansrock Fri 10-Jan-20 04:51:57

Our best family holidays are renting a big house for a week with at least 9 bedrooms and all the family get together. It has to have a pool, big garden, table tennis and other games . Last summer we were in the Dordogne. There were 19 of us ranging from, 6 children, plus various couples and grandparents ( I’m in that category) . We swim, have a table tennis tournament and take turns in cooking. Lots of fun memories.

amazonia Thu 09-Jan-20 17:50:34

I think our best family holidays were skiing when the children were aged 10 to 15. They could ski well enough to be independent but still enjoyed being with us. We laughed, we fell over, we lost one in a snow drift etc and then we could enjoy the tales together at dinner. happy days

Moocow Wed 08-Jan-20 16:57:01

Definately one when the children were young but at an age when they were independent and so less of a worry and more of a help so we could all join in deciding what to do and not to join in if anyone wanted to do their own thing so no worries about others going elsewhere or just staying in. The more remote the more fun it has seemed for us.