Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your experiences of the job market? Share with Mumsnet Talent - £100 voucher to be won

(106 Posts)
gran1 Wed 08-Apr-20 11:10:27

I am the oldest on the team but have enjoyed being an exam invigilator.

lillyofthevalley Wed 08-Apr-20 10:19:30

I feel my lack of IT skills and lack of confidence would mean, although I would love a job where I can flourish and make a difference. I have always worked, never been off work ill and am punctual. Maybe when this pandemic has left us, an adult education on-line course is what I need.

Harris27 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:25:35

I’m 60and still working. I am a nursery nurse and the oldest there. I know,I have to keep up with others especially the fitter girls who have lots of eneryg. I’ve been there 18 years and at the minute furloughed so have time to think about my work position I feel fortunate enough to be in a place where I’m comfortable there are new ideas and courses and I try and keep up. This tear we moved to iPad planning which i was worried about but have kept up and love it. I do have to work till I’m 66 and I hope health being ok I should be able to do this. I find it very enjoyable and love the children.

quizqueen Wed 08-Apr-20 09:07:19

Having retired from teaching children with special needs- behavioural and educational-I now help out on a casual basis at a local children's day nursery and give advice on teaching ideas.

Gaunt47 Mon 06-Apr-20 11:46:33

I retired to a small town which I loved and where I knew I would be able to continue in employment, albeit as a seasonal worker in shops.
Luckily I look 10/15 years younger than I am!
Then a few years ago in my late 60s I lucked into the best job in the world where being older is an advantage and most of my co-workers are of approximately the same age. It is part time, seasonal work which widened my horizons and keeps me on my toes.

LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Apr-20 11:20:30

In a recent survey, 37% of over 50s told us that others in the workplace have assumed that they’re not career motivated. With that clearly not the case for many, Mumsnet Talent - which focuses on flexibility in the workplace and encouraging employers to accept employees’ varied lifestyles - would like to hear about your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older.

Here’s what Mumsnet Talent has to say: “With the state pension age ever-increasing, more and more people are working into their sixties and beyond. With this in mind, it’s crucial that employers make sure their workplace is equipped to support older people to develop and maintain their careers. Along with Gransnet, we’re working to raise awareness of this across all sectors, recently hosting a roundtable discussion with some of the UK’s top employers to discuss the ways in which roles can be made accessible to everyone.”

Have you found potential employers value the wealth of experience you bring to the table? Or perhaps you’ve felt that your age has had a negative impact on being offered roles? Have you experienced assumptions that you won’t be able to cope with tech platforms while at work, or that you’re hesitant to change?

Whatever your experience of the job market as you’ve gotten older, share it on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply