Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What acts of kindness have you experienced during lockdown? - £100 voucher to be won

(144 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 21-May-20 14:46:09

We live in times we wouldn’t have expected even just a few months ago. On the surface we’re navigating stockpiling, how to cut hair at home and maintaining social relationships, but the extraordinary situation is bringing communities closer together with people showing true kindness.

So, we’d like to hear about your experience of acts of kindness during this difficult time, whether you’ve been on the giving or receiving end of them.
-What’s the most memorable act of kindness you’ve seen recently? How did it help others?
-If you or anyone close to you needs special care, how are they getting it?
-What’s been the most challenging aspect of lockdown, and has an act of kindness helped you through that?
-Which organisations or brands would you like to thank for going out their way to help during the crisis? What have they done?

Whatever acts of kindness you’ve experienced during the pandemic and lockdown, share your experience on the thread below. All GN users who post sharing their experience will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

lemongrove Thu 28-May-20 08:58:59

We had a puncture ( just within our village, unfair!) so couldn't collect our prescriptions from the surgery.I mentioned this to a neighbour ( younger than us) who said that she would go immediately to get them for us, very kind, considering our surgery is a 18 mile round trip.When she returned with them she said she would do this every month for us until the end of the pandemic, so we wouldn’t have to worry about it.

marpau Thu 28-May-20 09:45:30

Our little town set up an action group anyone needing shopping or prescription the younger citizens will collect and deliver. There is also a soup group who make soup and deliver to vulnerable residents at the same time they check if they need anything else.

Anj123 Thu 28-May-20 09:58:45

When I’ve been out in walks around the streets in my local neighbourhood I’ve noticed piles of books people have left on garden walls for others to take which is very thoughtful. I didn’t take any as I have lots of books waiting to be read and am a key worker. Although I’m lucky in that I can work from home, I am busier than ever now!

cookiemonster66 Thu 28-May-20 10:17:55

My elderly mum was starting to get really down, always crying on the phone, as two months in lock down was taking it's toll. She has COPD and her hubby has diabetes, heart condition and dementia and she is coping alone looking after him. They are on the vulnerable list so have been cooped up in their flat for months now getting government parcels and food deliveries. I decided to go on the 80 mile round trip and cheer her up. I made a giant 'Hello!' sign and waved it at her with my sister as she stood on the balcony. It made her day, she was so happy, sometimes it is the little things that can make a huge difference.

Pittcity Thu 28-May-20 10:36:53

We are lucky to be relatively young and fit and have signed up to help but have not been called on as there seems to be too much goodwill around here.
My neighbour made tiered cake stands for us and his other neighbour. We will be inviting them for tea as soon as we can.
My immediate family work in supermarkets and for the police and Royal Mail, who along with delivery drivers have been essential.

ShewhomustbeEbayed Thu 28-May-20 12:30:39

The shop COOK giving 1000s of free meals to the disadvantaged, as a company they set lots of good examples.

NanaandGrampy Thu 28-May-20 13:26:20

Its a taken a whole village of kindness to keep us safe.

The grocers, bakers and butchers all started free deliveries , even for just one item. There was no price gouging . We had a group of 'helpers' immediately start shopping for people, collecting prescriptions. They will walk your dog, mow your lawn or sit outside , socially distancing for a chat for those for whom loneliness is an issue.

But its much more than that , the postman will take your mail as well as deliver it . The milkman will bring your potting compost if you need some. The Hen House arranged to have potatoes available .

The small children of the village have been on a colouring kick and every morning a little note comes through the door from one of them asking if we need any help and leaving us a picture of the day.

The vicar has a zoom prayer meeting daily for those who want to join. The bin men not only empty your bin but put it back on the drive.

Its taken a hundred small acts of kindness during this period to keep our village safe. If I won Id wait till this is all over and contribute it to the village party we're planning so say a small thanks for such big help.

Ziggy1914 Thu 28-May-20 15:00:51

I have been getting shopping for 2 old ladies every week since lockdown they cant go out and havn't been able to get any slots for home delivery as fully booked they have really appreciated it and I have been happy to help

Roweenaa Thu 28-May-20 16:45:27

My local Wickes has created a calm and pleasant shopping experience with chatty outdoor queues and very helpful staff on standby to assist in directing the car parking, which has all changed since lockdown.
They offer a squirt of sanitiser and a trolley, explaining the rules to every customer.
I can get a bit overwhelmed in hardware stores, but needed fence paint and a brush. A lovely young girl showed me the aisle and I found what I wanted. A very orderly queue formed to pay and standing in line I admired the lovely broad brush the gentleman in front was holding. He said I got two so have this one and then offered me some tips! I was engaged and impressed and he made my day.
The paint and brush worked wonders and dog walkers admired my handiwork. One asked me for some tips, which made me feel excited and proud. I was feeling quite redundant and unproductive until this all happened. I poured some paint into a large jar for the dog lady to paint her kennel and gave her my brush. I needed a rest and to enjoy my fence.
The dog lady appeared three weeks later and said thank you and the kennel looked brand new and even the chewed bits went dark brown after two coats. She then said her neighbour had also used the brush to do his back fence and his wife helped as they then had a brush each! I don't know if his wife thought this was a good idea, but I am sure it was finished quicker with her help.
Can you believe that a simple product and kind actions have created such enjoyment of D.I.Y. and a community spirit with a string of people who are local but never usually talk.

hellymart Thu 28-May-20 16:51:10

Free author talks and workshops (yesterday I did a yoga and meditation workshop for an hour, which was wonderful) that are being provided on-line, are helping me to keep connected. A friend of a friend has also taught me how to use Zoom which has been really useful and now I'm passing that on, by continuing to run my writers' group and book club that way.

Echame Thu 28-May-20 17:15:40

Echoing the sentiments of so many others, I have also been overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers during this strangest and scariest of times, from young local church members to neighbours approaching me whilst I was crawling round the communal garden of my flats during my daily constitutionals..all offering unreserved help with almost anything. Whilst this pandemic has obviously been ghastly, it's something I wouldn't have missed just to experience this visceral outpouring of pure love and charity in a broken world. I'm coming to the end of my life but am glad I lived through these days because it has completely restored my somewhat jaded faith in human nature and left me with a far more positive view of the future of this world.

Rowsie Thu 28-May-20 17:31:09

I was moaning on the phone to my son about being in lock down and how, having missed our normal Easter celebrations, I had not even had an Easter Egg. He knew I had a routine of going for a walk in the mornings so he popped round when I was out and when I came back later I had this little guy sitting in my fridge waiting for me!

SarahTF Thu 28-May-20 18:27:06

Friends, one good friend in particular, bringing me food shopping, and people dropping off little bottles of wine or gin as treat presents. Also, things left in boxes at the ends of people's driveways for the public to help themselves to. I picked up a tomato plant that way.

marieingham Thu 28-May-20 20:45:12

A fish and chip shop local to the hospital I work in, opened up for one day especially for hospital staff and delivered them in batches throughout the day to our hospital free of charge for anyone wanting them. I’ve never enjoyed them so much, it was like I hadn’t had chippy chips for years ! ?

joysutty Thu 28-May-20 21:24:18

My husband was admitted on 9th March and had to have a pacemaker fitted on 11th, was discharged on 12th just day before lockdown began, and we found on local facebook page that a small group were going to get prescriptions from our local chemist and so have been delivering to us weekly in our porch, as he is 70 and staying indoors, and managed also to get a weekly slot for home groceries, so grateful for them all taking time volunteering for our village. But a neighbour next door but one who is a paramedic and also her husband is, walked past bottom of our driveway on V E Day and said her hands were really rough and bad, so i ordered some handcreams for them both as they are so deserving right now, and she waves to me each time she drives off to her shift, and has been going strong day by day. She said she was so grateful it made me cry.

TwiddleDee Fri 29-May-20 01:41:58

I have been taking shopping round to my father who is not allowed out due to poor health.

burwellmum Fri 29-May-20 12:19:13

I have been providing treats to my parents who are shielding.

millymoo1971 Fri 29-May-20 12:46:31

We are foster carers and have two boys aged 11 and 12, both with special needs.
During lock down our local authority were desperate for a home for a 13 year old boy. We have taken him in, even though his grandmother, who he was living with had Covid 19 symptoms. We now have all 3 boys, none of which are at school.

joannapiano Fri 29-May-20 14:27:22

A neighbour, whom I know slightly, asked how DH was recently. She knew he had just finished chemo. I was just taking delivery of some shopping and joked that the only thing unavailable was a jar of Bovril, as it was one of the few things DH fancied drinking.
She knocked a couple of hours later with two jars she had sourced from a small shop, and wouldn’t accept payment.
Such a kind gesture.

Rosieat34 Fri 29-May-20 17:41:33

It is certainly helpful to give hope and a sense of anticipation to others and with this in mind my daughter and I have grown almost 100 tomato plants from seed, grown them on to strong plants and given them away to anyone who would like to watch them flower and provide a crop of gardeners delight tomatoes.

NfkDumpling Fri 29-May-20 17:50:46

We put an order in with our local butcher, which meant a bit of a chat, like you do, during which I evidently must have said that we were managing, but I couldn’t get any milk. (It was rather weighing on my mind). The meat order arrived the next day with a two litre bottle of Tesco milk in it. The fact they’d gone out of their way to buy it meant a lot.

NfkDumpling Fri 29-May-20 17:51:44

Should have added we were shielding so not supposed to go outside the front door.

amandajayne77 Fri 29-May-20 23:25:34

I've been doing my elderly neighbours and my own 77 year old mothers shopping and collecting medication for them both. My neighbour sadly doesn't have family nearby to help her,so i couldn't see her struggle. Same as my own mum,they are both so grateful,but in my eyes,i'm not really doing anything special,it's times like these,that i can give back. I'd like to think that if i were struggling somehow,that someone would help me. Being registered disabled myself with Fibromyalgia,i just wish sometimes,i could do more,but sadly i'm limited myself.

chris8888 Sat 30-May-20 19:49:43

My sister Mary had a stroke a few days before lockdown. We were unable to visit her and she was to confused to deal with her mobile. A very young health care assistant helped her answer facetime calls. It was so kind and helped everyone get through those awful weeks.

Lorelei Tue 02-Jun-20 04:20:27

We live in a block of 9 flats and most of the neighbours have been kind to each other. Myself and our lovely next-door-neighbour are both considered highly vulnerable and need to be shielded, so my better half has done all the shopping for us, our neighbour (+ fresh produce for her guinea pigs) and got a few bits (including much-needed pet food) for an elderly customer of theirs. Other examples are seemingly small acts of kindness but each meaningful:

I won a Product of the Year goodie bag and we shared the contents with our lovely neighbour and gave the Vape Kit and refills to the young couple next door as they had been unable to get their usual one and had started smoking again so this was a big help + he got them some tomato ketchup and that cheered their 2 kids up. There were a few bits we couldn't use or didn't need so the feminine hygiene products went to an organisation helping women in 'period poverty' and I have a bag of 4 items for a baby we will give to someone who needs it.

The young couple gave him a pack of hot dog rolls when he couldn't get any and fancied hot dogs.

We have baked several times, mainly banana bread & lemon drizzle cake and each time we divided it as 2/3 for us and 1/3 for our neighbour as she has the same food allergy as me so she knows our home baking is safe for her to eat and enjoyed the treats. The other young couple have offered to include things in their online order if anyone needs anything.

Another couple left a loo roll and nice note on everyone's doorstep when supermarkets had been emptied and they'd had an online order delivery so shared (we were OK for loo rolls but appreciated the gesture. We have both tried to offer online support to a few people who are struggling at the moment.

And lastly, my aunt died a week ago and though funeral (in 2 weeks time) is limited to 10 they did reply to my email and said it would be OK to sit in the car and even stand next to the car to watch the car come in and that they were offering their video streaming service free of charge to help grieving families who would like to see and hear the service. We know they are very sadly busy at the moment and it meant a lot to have such a personal response, kind words and to feel my aunt was in good hands, as such. Not sure if my uncle and cousin will be OK about video yet - will message them tomorrow. Seems there are plenty of acts of kindness to balance out some of the less than savoury behaviour of a minority.