Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What acts of kindness have you experienced during lockdown? - £100 voucher to be won

(144 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 21-May-20 14:46:09

We live in times we wouldn’t have expected even just a few months ago. On the surface we’re navigating stockpiling, how to cut hair at home and maintaining social relationships, but the extraordinary situation is bringing communities closer together with people showing true kindness.

So, we’d like to hear about your experience of acts of kindness during this difficult time, whether you’ve been on the giving or receiving end of them.
-What’s the most memorable act of kindness you’ve seen recently? How did it help others?
-If you or anyone close to you needs special care, how are they getting it?
-What’s been the most challenging aspect of lockdown, and has an act of kindness helped you through that?
-Which organisations or brands would you like to thank for going out their way to help during the crisis? What have they done?

Whatever acts of kindness you’ve experienced during the pandemic and lockdown, share your experience on the thread below. All GN users who post sharing their experience will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £100 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

CatsAreAwesome Sun 05-Jul-20 19:34:15

I received a surprise bouquet of flowers in the post from my sister.

Kate1949 Fri 19-Jun-20 17:42:06

I am thrilled. Thank you so much for brightening my lockdown!

YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Jun-20 11:41:17

Thank you all for taking part.
The prize draw winner is @Kate1949 smile

Wishes Thu 11-Jun-20 11:47:49

My mums nursing home sent me a video of the staff with a birthday cake singing Happy Birthday to her on our joint birthday.

shaddai88 Thu 11-Jun-20 11:27:47

I gave away my fresh organic vegetables and food I didn't need to my friends who lost their jobs and was struggling with money to buy food. I am very thankful I had food I could help my friends and some fiends was able to drop them free meals give to help the needy.

Venus Thu 11-Jun-20 09:37:01

A young woman who I knew a little has called me every week to ask what shopping I would like, as I'm classed as 'vulnerable.' She shops, not only for me, but other elderly people who can't get out to the shops. She also funds the shopping herself until she delivers. Also there is a lovely volunteer who delivers my prescriptions whenever I need them, with a cheery smile.

gran1 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:44:04

Having to stay in but being sent photos of friends' vegetable patches, growing over the weeks, has been great as I am missing out on that this year.

Nannan2 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:48:57

One of my daughters has been busily making lots of fabric face masks in various patterns/colours, which have a 'pocket' in which to slide a filter or extra lining inside if we wish, she's made them for me & her 2 youngest brothers, her own family, & for all her siblings (there's a few!) and their families, and some of her friends& families too- all for free, including she paid the postage, all securely hand sewn & steam cleaned. She is very kind..Also, a shout out for the nice lady working in one of the hospitals W.H.Smiths branches, who had to come help with the self checkout who kindly swiped me the 20% off card as well, as i'd spent quite a bit there, it was much appreciated.smile

allythackray Mon 08-Jun-20 18:53:36

To save on the supermarket shoppers and deliveries, my neighbour and I always check to see if the other needs anything before finalising our orders, hoping to share the burden as best we can.

Dannydog1 Sun 07-Jun-20 08:44:42

We live in a small cul de sac and everyone has helped each other. As over seventies we were very nervous about shopping.
Two younger neighbours always asked us if we needed anything when they went shopping and we would often find a bag of flour on our doorstep if they found some when it was in short supply. They wouldn’t take any money in return. There was and still is a swopping of baked goodies amongst us all.

rozina Sat 06-Jun-20 21:28:37

My kindness is from "DeliverMyNewspaper" who I believe have gone out of their way to keep me entertained! I had free coupons for delivery from them BUT they actually sent me not only the minimum 6 weeks of free delivery but 18 weeks! Whether this was by accident or not I don't know. On top of that they have been delivering through the night and I usually get my paper between 3am and 4am!!! Also I have had three free glossy magazines to date. I just feel service with them has been exemplary!

MamaCaz Sat 06-Jun-20 18:07:50

What’s the most memorable act of kindness you’ve seen recently? How did it help others?

I've been amazed at how my (elderly and shielded) mum's neighbours have rallied round to help her, whether through shopping for her, or regular contact to see if she is ok or if they can help in other ways. None are much younger than she is or in much better health.

If you or anyone close to you needs special care, how are they getting it?

We are very fortunate in that this doesn't really apply to any of my immediate family. We do have a younger family member who is shielding, but luckily her employers are supportive of her working from home, despite her being a key worker

What’s been the most challenging aspect of lockdown, and has an act of kindness helped you through that?

Once the practicalities of things like getting in the groceries were sorted, the most challenging aspect of lockdown has been not being able to have close-up contact with close family. Normally, we support each other on many ways, so it has been hard to keep apart, especially when the alternatives seem even less safe!

Which organisations or brands would you like to thank for going out their way to help during the crisis? What have they done?

I can't think of any that deserve special mention other than the frontline workers of every description!

Seefah Fri 05-Jun-20 20:33:05

We have a tourist business with two houses in Croatia. My adorable neighbour who lives next lost his job. So knowing we couldn’t get to our houses to cut grass ( it is a lot !) decided to keep the grass mowed ! Then he decided to cut the hedges ! Then he cleared two huge bramble messes! Then he fixed a loose shutter. Then he aired both places. He insisted on not accepting a penny and said he did it because during this Covid disaster we must work together. Ofcourse we found a way to help him sending him something when he was on lockdown. It made me sob and restored my faith in goodness at a time when so many were dying everywhere and in some cities people were fighting for toilet rolls in supermarkets.

Kittyme1 Fri 05-Jun-20 17:15:24

We have had so many cosmos seedlings growing all over our garden this year that I couldn't bring myself to discard any of them, instead I have been busy digging them all up and potting them up in recycled yoghurt pots, tin cans, fruit and veg trays. I put them outside out house with a note inviting our neighbours and passers by to take them. I am please to say they have gone done a treat.

crunchy Fri 05-Jun-20 16:24:46

At the start of lockdown I had to self isolate and had no bread in the house and obviously couldn't`t go out to shop to buy some. A perfect stranger baked me a loaf of bread and her children bought it round to my house with a jar of home made jam. My grand daughter asked on social media if there was anyone who lived near me that could buy me some bread. All my neighbours were self isolating so I couldn`t ask them for help and my family live some distance away.

Leah50 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:35:27

Weeks ago I put a few good quality modern books in the rather smart wooden bus shelter outside our house with a note saying "help yourself". I can't believe how our village "lending library" has taken off, the swaps & donations now number well over 1,000. As well as local people walking past I've seen bus & van drivers stop to borrow or donate, children's books which are very popular, have been added to with toys & puzzles, also stacks of DVDs. I'd like to thank all the lovely people who've embraced the idea....we've over 100 likes on our village Facebook page.

Jaycee5 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:19:11

My internet connection went down which I really missed with having to stay in and my neighbour's grandson gave me the code for his router. He offered without being asked.
My dentist's office rang to ask if I needed any help with shopping. I told them that I was managing ok with deliveries and they told me to ring if I needed any help. It's surprising who does step up. I certainly wasn't expecting my dentists to. They probably have quite an elderly clientele as there are quite a few retirement flats around here.

homefarm Fri 05-Jun-20 15:10:47

None at all
I haven't been out since 23rd March

cassandra264 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:05:01

Our neighbour , who is working, and has a vulnerable very elderly parent and a son to look after, is still thinking outside the box for the benefit of others. She has used her skills, time and access to 3D printers to enable face masks to be made for under-equipped workers at local care homes.smile

Minerva Fri 05-Jun-20 14:38:50

I appealed on a local FB page for someone to take a parcel to the post office in the very early days of the virus when many people were still out and about. No-one local offered but a lady from the other side of the borough said she would be not far off delivering to the food bank and could do it for me. A Japanese young lady on her bicycle duly arrived to collect the parcel. I had directed her to the main post office but when she got there they had closed early so she took it home with her and took it to her local post office next morning, She then sent me a photo of the receipt and the offer of help whenever I might need it. What an angel.

JANH Fri 05-Jun-20 14:35:26

We live in a large village and one day I had a call from the local community centre asking whether we were managing. I am one of the shielded and my husband is over 70. We had managed to get on line deliveries however needed help with getting medication and bits and pieces. We were allocated a young lady, on maternity leave after having her son, to help. She has been brilliant, getting whatever we can’t get, no trouble for her, at all. We also get vegetables delivered by the local farmer and we pay both via electronic transfer. So easy and safe. The community centre then phones us every fortnight for a chat and to see that we are alright. They have set up a brilliant system which works really well and we are thrilled with the contact and help, which we greatly appreciate.

Albangirl14 Fri 05-Jun-20 13:07:56

We have joined a local Rainbow group and helped with fabric for scrub bags and handcream for nurses. Amongst local friends we have distance exchanged Books Jigsaws SR Flour etc . I have sent and recieved from Grandchildren cards rainbows hug ribbons and lots more. All these things bring a little brightness to a lockdown day .

Purplepixie Fri 05-Jun-20 11:46:30

My best friend is looking after her 100 year old mam during this lockdown. She has their food delivered and shields her mam so brilliantly. Also she retired 2 years ago and now she is her mam’s full time carer. She never moans and nothing is a problem to her as she never seems to go out and enjoy herself or have a holiday (in normal times). Her one treat was to buy herself a little puppy which gets her out of the house on walks. I admire her so much and I know I would have cracked under the strain ages ago. I love to speak to her on the phone as her warm, down to earth cheery nature always brightens up my day.

JessK Fri 05-Jun-20 11:41:39

Standing in the queue at the local supermarket (we were near the front) and a kind gentleman rushed up to a member of staff to alert them to an elderly lady near the back of the queue who was using a walking stick and not too steady on her feet. He forfeited his place in the line to get this lady fast tracked into the store. A true gent.

RosesAreRed21 Fri 05-Jun-20 11:33:37

I haven’t experienced any myself, but am overwhelmed at the number of posts that I have seen on our local social media sites of people helping each other out - from small offers of help to much bigger things. Makes me proud to be part of this community.