Gransnet forums

Sport

Olympics

(27 Posts)
Maniac Fri 27-Apr-12 14:35:37

Have you got tickets for any events -or have you signed up as a volunteer.

JessM Thu 12-Jul-12 08:25:05

Bumping this thread - it would be good I think to have a thread to grumble, criticise and debate peripheral issues. I suggest if individuals are really into the swimming or showjumping they start a specific thread for that sport. I am just going to start an Olympic Athletics thread.
Just listening to the too ha about the security arrangements. Oh dear. I've managed recruitment and training projects in the past. Bitten off more than they can chew. What would I have done with the benefit of hindsight loco - split the contract of course so all your risk is not put in one place. By giving such a huge contract to one company you Create a risk. It would have been better to have one company to do the Olympic park but give the contracts for the other venues do other local companies. A symptom of the "big company thinking" that is damaging this country.

absentgrana Tue 22-May-12 15:26:44

tanith Those of us who are not interested in the Olympics do not have "to do our best to ignore it". We just do. I am not ill-wishing the athletes or spectators; I just don't care. Not caring involves no effort whatsoever.

Annobel Tue 22-May-12 13:35:19

I seems that some school kids are being inspired by the Olympics: one of my GSs, aged 7, has managed to sprain his ankle - 'playing pole vault'! wink

Butternut Mon 30-Apr-12 21:07:03

Maniac grin!

Maniac Mon 30-Apr-12 18:53:43

Last night on TV's 'Room 101' Gabby Logan delivered such a passionate speech about the Olympics.As a result her choice 'People who moan about the Olympics' was voted to go into Room 101.!!

janthea Mon 30-Apr-12 10:36:06

goldengirl I agree with you all the way! I also live and work in London and am not looking forward to the buildup and actual event.

Jacey Sat 28-Apr-12 16:32:52

I hope it is a wonderful success hmm ...and I expect to be glued to tv as one of thousands disappointed to not get any tickets sad...but I will not be watching everything shock ...some sports do not appeal - such as- boxing, wrestling, football ...and of course loads of coverage will clash confused

But do agree crimson that a better location could have been found that would have given easier access to the whole of the British public

I also hope that the weather is good ...so that those who are not interested can find plenty to occupy them without being dependent on their tv for 'entertainment' sunshine

Butternut Sat 28-Apr-12 16:27:13

I shall be watching some of the Olympics on TV, at home, and enjoy cheering Team GB.

I know it's costing fantastical amounts of money, it's going to be a logistical nightmare, travelling will be more than problematic, and it should be more centrally based, but I really hope it will be a success for all involved!

crimson Sat 28-Apr-12 16:07:21

Still think it should have been based in Birmingham and not London, and then people from all round the country would have found it easier to go to it [if, and it's a big 'iff' they could have obtained tickets. but, as everything has to be based down south there was no chance of that; crimson aka 'disgruntled northener'.

tanith Sat 28-Apr-12 15:15:52

I'm glad I'm not alone.. I think its a shame not many kids are having their interest aroused by either school or parents.. my grandchildren seem very remote from it and have only had their interest aroused by me talking about it.. aren't they promoting it in schools?

Mamardoit Sat 28-Apr-12 14:45:18

DD has been accepted as a volunteer. She will be in the main stadium but doesn't know exactly what she will be doing.

My youngest would love to have gone to some of the events but we are nowhere near London and the cost of transport etc put us off. So he won't be going.

Travelling back along the M1 yesterdays was shocked to see the gantry (sp?) signs urging us all to leave plenty of travelling time so that we all arrive in time for olympic events!

Maniac Sat 28-Apr-12 12:31:15

So agree with you Mrs J.J. I've never been a sporty person but am full of admiration and respect for all the competitors.-and for the organisers - wish them all well.
I will be watching most events on TV -apart from the football.
my DD lives/works in London so I can understand the problems with transport.The Olympics are a challenge which may result in improvements.
A friend in Bristol, retiring from his career as a solicitor in May has volunteered as a helper so I'll hear all about that in due course.

Annobel Sat 28-Apr-12 12:27:17

Optimists unite!

Nonu Sat 28-Apr-12 12:14:47

DH has tickets for the paralympics which he is going to with DD SIL and GS so it will be enjoyable for them I hope , as for me , I"m afraid I have no interest whatsoever

MrsJamJam Sat 28-Apr-12 11:48:01

I'm not even very interested in sport, Annobel but just want to enjoy the whole experience.

And there must be thousands of people who are working hard to make these games a success, I want every one of them to feel good about their contribution and that it has been worthwhile to do.

Annobel Sat 28-Apr-12 11:42:34

No, Mrs JJ, you aren't. I remember the 1948 Olympics - on the wireless, of course - and how exciting they were then. I've followed them on TV ever since and enjoyed every moment. Have watched with great interest the progress made by Kenyan athletes, especially - in recent years - the women, because I so loved my 5 years spent in their country.

MrsJamJam Sat 28-Apr-12 11:41:19

But optimism is so much more fun!

goldengirl Sat 28-Apr-12 11:34:40

I was born a pessimist!

MrsJamJam Sat 28-Apr-12 11:21:41

I think it will either be wonderful fun or become a focus for a national moan about how miserable life is these days.

So I'm hoping for an atmosphere of jollity and general good humour; that the sun will shine whenever we want it to (but with the occasional shower when not inconvenient in order to keep the gardeners and farmers happy!)

We've got tickets for the paralympics and I'm looking forward to seeing the olympic stadium - a major construction achievement and I hope all who contributed to it feel proud.

Am I the only optimist around here today?

goldengirl Sat 28-Apr-12 11:03:05

I've found out to my horror that I've got to use the underground to cross London the week before the Olympics. I'm trying hard to find another route. The thought of being even more squashed up on an even more stuffy train fills me with dread.

For me (1) it's a lot of money we can't afford (2) we haven't got the infrastructure to cope with the numbers (3) Olympic areas whether in London, Weymouth or else where are going to be no go areas for those trying to go about their daily business (4) Changing 'fast track' lanes for security purposes will be a nightmare for taxis and those trying to get from A to B

It's got too big for its boots [or should that be trainers] I think.

Annobel Fri 27-Apr-12 16:03:44

I wish....

tanith Fri 27-Apr-12 15:32:43

No tickets and I wouldn't want to volunteer but I shall be watching any events that interest me.. it seems that an awful lot of people are doing their best to ignore it, what is that offends I wonder? I know some people don't like sport but I enjoy seeing our young people doing their best and representing our nation among the Worlds best sports men and women it matters not if we win I just enjoy the taking part.. It'll be hard for me to ignore as I live in the Capital.

nightowl Fri 27-Apr-12 15:27:53

I agree wake me up when it's all over Zzzzzzz

susiecb Fri 27-Apr-12 15:17:45

Me either Yawn yawn!

janthea Fri 27-Apr-12 15:16:22

No! Didn't want tickets and don't want to be anywhere near the Olympics!