Gransnet forums

Sport

Any Football Fans?

(128 Posts)
Notsogrand Mon 11-Jun-12 16:59:59

Every 2 years I deck the car with England flags for either the World Cup or Euros. This year, I have England wing mirror covers too. The flags are not usually on for long, but I never give up hope of a 1966 repeat performance.

First England match just about to kick off, but it's being Sky-plussed to watch later as grandsons are here for tea.

So I'll now have to steeer clear of GN, Twitter, Facebook, News etc smile

Come on England!!

Galen Fri 02-Aug-13 22:05:10

My iPad has gone on strike. I used to support Wolves and remember seeing Billy Wright play!

Galen Fri 02-Aug-13 22:03:55

As to Bristol city! Well I suppose someone has to support them. I used to support. I remember seeing Billy Wright play. Wolves. I r

Galen Fri 02-Aug-13 22:00:41

Welcome to GN! There's quite a few of us in the Bristol area. We have occasional meets. Have you found the local forum run by Mikefrombristol?

NannyKasey Fri 02-Aug-13 21:21:25

I'm new to this forum! I'm a Bristol City season ticket holder and registered my granddaughter as a Bristol City supporter when she was 3 days old (would have been sooner but she didn't have a name and I wasn't sure which surname they were using!) looking forward to the new season and will take her when she's 3ish (she's 15 months)

Pete Sun 19-May-13 22:39:29

See you all next season...whatever division you're in grin

GadaboutGran Tue 14-May-13 11:17:30

I demonstrated real love on our 43rd Wedding anniversary last week by going to the first leg of the Crystal Palace v Brighton match on Friday. I was in the real fans stand so had a good time joining in with the chants but had to stand for the whole match. It was a dire 0-0 draw & I vowed never to go again, in spit eof the experience of being part of the tidal wave of South London male hulkdom!
But after the Palace performance last night Zaha redeemed himself & I may even go to Wembley for the promotion play-off. I'm not sure if I'm a real fan but I've suffered the moans & groans about Crystal Palace since a young lass on my father's knee through to my husband, son & even nephews in Australia who are all avid fans.

whenim64 Tue 14-May-13 10:43:02

grin

Pete Tue 14-May-13 09:47:41

when The third wish was for Liverpool to win the League.....but even the magic lamp found that too far fetched... grin

glammanana Tue 14-May-13 09:45:08

when I like that one must tell my boys when I see them they will be relieved.grin

whenim64 Tue 14-May-13 09:38:01

glamma there's a joke circulating about someone in Liverpool having a magic lamp that they have rubbed twice so far, first for Maggie T to disappear from the face of the earth, then for Fergie to go. They've got one wish left, so perhaps it's to keep Rooney away from the M62 West! grin

glammanana Tue 14-May-13 09:21:49

The job of a football manager must be very £ friendly they all leave their contracts with a massive payout,some must make quite a few £s over the years grin and well done Wigan,best of luck MUFC with their new manager just don't send Rooney anywhere near Liverpool area please.grin

HappyNanna Tue 14-May-13 08:47:48

Oh the irony of it! The Red half of Manchester celebrating the best manager in United's history and the Blue half having to hear their manager sacked (again).

Pete Mon 13-May-13 21:13:42

smile...Couldn't trust him down there...hmm

london Mon 13-May-13 21:04:14

Pete we wouldnt have him smile he can clean your cellerx

Pete Mon 13-May-13 20:52:46

He might sign for Newcastle....grin

london Mon 13-May-13 18:11:35

when i watched the manager,s speech and felt quite sad ,and i dont like manchester as a rule ..i just hope the everton manager is just as good ..mind i dont care for rooney x

whenim64 Mon 13-May-13 11:05:07

I'm not a football fan, but it's been quite a weekend here in the north-west, and I want to applaud the way the fans supported Manchester City and Wigan on Saturday, and Alex Ferguson yesterday.

Some members of my family support Manchester City, so they went to Wembley and talked about how generous the City fans were in staying to applaud and watch Dave Whelan's euphoria at his club's achievement.

Yesterday, despite being offered £1,500 for his last season ticket, my son went to watch United because he knew Alex Ferguson was going to make a speech afterwards, and he expected it to be a special match. There was a flag on every seat and a great atmosphere, with genuine fans enjoying being together.

Quite a few people have commented that this was football at its best, despite Wayne Rooney picking his opportunity to request a transfer, and the news that City might now sack Mancini.

My son was impressed that his partner and I didn't groan when he returned home and asked if we would mind him watching the football round-up on Sky! grin

Pete Sun 12-May-13 23:57:06

Well done Wigan....from all in the Red half of Manchester grin

london Sun 12-May-13 19:04:10

gillieB a listened too smile

Nonu Sun 12-May-13 17:25:45

Well I am not but he is , and Norwich won this afternoon 4 - 0 to West Brom , so there will be a happy little bunny arriving here later .
So as he said ,before he left , I hope so much they win then I can relax in America . Doh and Doh .

I love that man of mine . tee hee

GillieB Sun 12-May-13 17:16:58

London - our precious team is safe (I am a season ticket holder at NUFC) - we couldn't watch/listen to tv/radio this afternoon as we were so nervous. Thank goodness we won!

london Sun 12-May-13 15:50:45

Yes i like football and was glad Wigan won the cup ..it might make up for them going down ..newcastle is my team and a no they arnt completely save x

Sook Sun 12-May-13 13:20:24

Watch football? Sorry would rather watch paint dry grin

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 13:00:24

Hadn't realised that Jonny Wilkinson had left the Falcons [although, to be honest I thought he'd retired] but will never forget that game when he scored at the very last minute. But must admit to not understanding rugby one bit. I only saw bits of yesterdays game Maniac, but the S.O. told me that the City manager was up for the chop if they didn't win, and I'm so fed up of this constant getting rid of managers these days. Wonder how long the new Manchester United manager will last sad. Wish I'd watched the game yesterday; I've fallen out of love with football in recent years but a 'Roy of the Rovers'/'Stanley Bagshaw' type win would have rekindled my enthusiasm. Good old Wigan smile!

Maniac Sun 12-May-13 12:47:34

I am NOT a football fan but watched the F.A.cup final yesterday as I grew up near Wigan and have an old photo of mum and dad at Wigan Athletic ground.That was in 1930 when they were a very minor team.Who would have thought that against all odds they would win the F.A cup in 2013.-A very exciting match.won at very last minute by a header from Wigan player.