Gransnet forums

Sport

Cricket

(22 Posts)
annodomini Sat 06-Jun-20 11:26:52

I have heard that cricket is going to be back on the BBC this summer, so let's hope we do have a summer. My DS2 was a cricket fanatic when he was a teenager and still goes with his friends to watch at least one day's test cricket every year. DS1 was so bored with cricket that, when he was about 14, taken, under protest, to Old Trafford, he sat through a day's play reading a book. Astonishingly, now middle-aged, he has taken it up with enthusiasm, and played with a local club all last summer until he tore a calf muscle.

3141650raf Sat 06-Jun-20 10:47:10

good morning all, are any of you cricket lovers getting the need for having a pint in the pavilion whilst the 1st Xl are batting?

jackfowler Wed 10-Jul-19 12:21:58

i like a cricket match and playing a game and cricket.

MichaelDismukes Wed 19-Sep-18 08:35:37

Welcome to the community iCustomBoxes. great to have you here. I also like to play cricket a lot.

iCustomBoxes Wed 25-Oct-17 21:18:03

I'm newbie on this forum i want to say hello every one so happy to join this forum. I'm fond of cricket and also play in club cricket i like to see cricket in crowd in live action.

newnanny Thu 29-Jun-17 17:16:05

I love the cricket and go to see a lot of the England matches with DH. We go to Lords, Headingly, Old Trafford, The Oval, Trent Bridge, Durham and Swalec in Wales. We are going to see ladies final at Lords in July and have also got tickets for Trent Bridge for Test match with South Africa. I have been known to stay up half the night to see Ashes matches. I also watch it on Sky/BT Sport a lot.

PRINTMISS Tue 14-Mar-17 10:52:51

I always enjoy it when the camera zooms into one of the spectators obviously having a quiet snooze! I think the 'buzz' of actually getting to the ground and mingling with everyone before the game starts always adds to the enjoyment of the day.

bumblebee123 Tue 14-Mar-17 08:52:30

My wife and I like to see the crowd when the camera zooms around showing close ups of people dressed as different celebrities or animals. It all adds to the atmosphere especially when about a hundred of them go dancing round the ground. smile...

Hopehope Mon 13-Mar-17 23:43:41

Greyduster grin

Greyduster Mon 13-Mar-17 17:05:15

Hopehope ???!!! They'll be coming for you with pitchforks if that gets out!

M0nica Mon 13-Mar-17 16:47:42

I have no interest in cricket at all. DF (and most of his family) were all cricket players. DF was in the army and played for his unit wherever we were posted. Cricket was a social event, families present, children all in best dresses and being polite having to 'play' with children half our age or who we actively disliked.

Worst of all, when we lived in Singapore, cricket matches were on Sunday and this meant spending the day as above instead of on the beach.

However my cousin is currently in the British Women's team and was part of the team that one the Ashes twice in the early part of this century.

Hopehope Sun 12-Mar-17 23:54:47

I would rather watch paint dry than watch Cricket. I live in Yorkshire so I have to just say that very quietly smile

PRINTMISS Sun 12-Mar-17 16:25:58

Thank you bumblebee123. I can still here him saying it, and remember the day.

Greyduster Sun 12-Mar-17 13:43:10

I like cricket and have been to the Scarborough Festival a few times. I will watch it if it is on T.V. We have watched DS play cricket since he was about ten - he was always in some team or other, and when he was in the RAF he used to play a lot of cricket and we would often go up to his station and watch him. He was a very good slip fielder. Our grandson is not interested in the game, although we have tried with him. He doesn't seem to get the hang of games involving hitting balls with sticks.

bumblebee123 Sun 12-Mar-17 12:54:16

PRINTMISS. The day war broke out... That was Rob Wilton.

PRINTMISS Tue 03-Jul-12 15:02:37

Neither of my grandchildren are interested in cricket my daugher and son in law are certainly not, but I do have any ally in my son (who has learning difficulties), and my other half, and we enjoy taking Robert out with us to watch locally. We have taken him to Leeds (Headingley) for a holiday, and he loved being in the crowd - he is going to watch a one-day internation quite soon with one of his carers, who has been roped in, even though he is not keen on the game, but likes to take our son because he enjoys it so much. I just think it's a lovely game to sit and watch all day, but not in our present weather conditions - roll on summer, but when?

Faye Mon 02-Jul-12 09:24:23

sad come on Aussies come on. I enjoy cricket but don't watch half as much as I used to.

My granddaughters have a relative who was making his test debut for Australia and the families were travelling to Melbourne to see him play. GD who was about five or six at the time was a bit miffed at having to go because she was going to miss her own cricket practice after school.

PRINTMISS Mon 02-Jul-12 07:37:22

In case anyone is interested, England beat the Australians again, in the one day competition. (and I played a terrible game of bowls on a very windy not very nice afternoon - where has summer gone?)

PRINTMISS Sun 01-Jul-12 07:23:35

susiecb - we live in hope! Nice to know there are fellow followers of one of my favourite sports. Off to play bowls this afternoon - after an induction course on Health and Safety at Amberley Museum - oh! the joys of health and safety, how on earth I have lived this long with just common sense, I shall never know, but rules is rules, as they say, so hey ho off we go, and the sun is shining - a bonus!

AlisonMA Sat 30-Jun-12 10:39:27

I love watching it Print but don't really follow it and hate just watching the edits on TV. Nothing better than being at the match and watching it blow by blow. Haven't been so far this year but going on 15 July.

We saw the women's team twice last year thrash their oponents. It is a much faster game as they don't do all that hanging around between balls like the men.

The best is when we get to watch Warwickshire v Worcestershire, DH's team v mine, lots of friendly rivalry.

Test matches are too expensive for us.

susiecb Sat 30-Jun-12 10:26:57

DH loves it and grew up near Lords. My daughetr is married to a grandson of an England and Warwickshire cricketer Eric Holles who bowled out Don Bradman in the last test. Their little boy (8) is showing great promise as a bowler and we are hoping he will be keeping us in our old age when he is rich and famous.

PRINTMISS Sat 30-Jun-12 08:13:08

I enjoy cricket, and I don't think it gets half enough media coverage, except of course when it all goes bottom up, and we lose. At the moment England are not doing too badly, and on TV we only have one hour's viewing of snippets in the evening. So, it is not the most exciting game in the world, but when the sun shines and there is a good crowd, it is a nice relaxing way to spend a day, and of course some of those young men are quite dishy.
Incidentally, the day war broke out (who was the comedian who said that?) I was sitting watching cricket with my dad, in the local park.