Gransnet forums

Sport

David Beckham

(28 Posts)
seasider Sun 08-Jul-12 10:01:03

I am the only one who is disappointed that David Beckham will not be playing in the Olympic football team. I know he is nearing the end of his playing career but it is not exactly the world cup! Even if he did not play full matches I am sure he would have been an inspiration to the younger players. In recent years he has been a great ambassador for sport and the Olympics and deserves the chance to play. On a more sexist note he is also very pleasant to look at!!

specki4eyes Sat 14-Jul-12 22:47:23

DB may well be a 'very nice man' but oh dear he is so boring..and that dreadful voice and the permagrin. Surely he's too old now to be playing in anything other than ladsanddads footie? What bugs me about the Boring Beckhams is they are always there, him grinning and her pouting and posing, whenever the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are doing something. Desperate toadies in my opinion.

vampirequeen Sat 14-Jul-12 18:05:46

She'll pout even more though sad

absentgrana Sat 14-Jul-12 16:49:16

Almost inevitable. grin But someone will have to tell her that doesn't mean the rest of us will have to curtsey to her.

Bags Sat 14-Jul-12 06:58:45

vampire grin Have to agree!

vampirequeen Fri 13-Jul-12 22:55:52

omg Lady Victoria....no no no!!!!!

gracesmum Fri 13-Jul-12 20:05:52

It does make me laugh when sportsmen are described as being "old" at 30!! (viz Roger Federer) But David Beckham is no longer a top class footballer is he?
When I saw the title of the thread I wondered if it might be about his mooted knighthood for services to London 2012. And I thought please, please not!! I couldn't bear to see Victoria's pouty face with a title!!

Notsogrand Fri 13-Jul-12 19:59:25

I'm convinced we'll win the World Cup again once David Beckham is the England coach.

Three Lions on my shirt.......

kittylester Fri 13-Jul-12 19:34:00

I feel 'Psycho' should have picked him even if he was the very last player on the bench. I know we want to win but I feel it should also be about getting people to watch and rewarding loyalty.

Anagram Fri 13-Jul-12 19:30:47

Never found him fanciable, especially not now with his strange hairdo!
Think the voice has a lot to do with it...

vampirequeen Fri 13-Jul-12 19:22:20

No oddly I'm not a fan but quite like his tattoos smile

ClaraB Fri 13-Jul-12 17:34:37

I think Becks should definitely have been included in the Olympic team and be the captain, he is such a great ambassador for sport in this country. If I had my way he would still be playing for England just for his free kicks alone.
By the way, in case you haven't guessed, I am a huge fan of David Beckham, just don't like all the tattoos!

vampirequeen Fri 13-Jul-12 14:28:34

I don't see how having DB in the team would be a morale booster. Would you want to play in a squad that has someone in because he's an all round nice guy rather than the best player available at the time? If we go by that rule then Gary Lineker should be in the squad as he was a brilliant player and well liked by everyone.

GoldenGran Fri 13-Jul-12 12:25:39

I agree Glamma, he is a good role model both to his other team members and to his fans. he has done a lot for sport in this country, I feel they could use him in some capacity, even if he didn't play.

Notsogrand Fri 13-Jul-12 12:23:42

I agree glamma. smile

glammanana Fri 13-Jul-12 12:21:31

It would boost the moral of the team if DB played he is well liked by all the players,he doesn't have the hissy fits some of the players have and he is fit enough to play in fact he is in better shape than some of the squad.The revenue from the shirts would be vast

Nonu Thu 12-Jul-12 22:40:39

Vampirequeen , soo right. I like you , you tell it like it is ,

vampirequeen Thu 12-Jul-12 22:31:59

We want to win don't we. He's too old that's why he plays in the USA because he's not good enough to play in Europe anymore.

Nonu Thu 12-Jul-12 21:46:23

Why !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notsogrand Thu 12-Jul-12 21:27:56

I really like David Beckham and he did a grand job of promoting our Olympic bid. I'm sure they could have squeezed him into the squad in some capacity!

Annobel Thu 12-Jul-12 21:14:47

I thought the idea was to win matches - not just to be a crowd pleaser. Although I am not a football fan, I'm pleased to see that Ryan Giggs has been appointed captain of the Olympic team. It was sad that he chose to play for Wales and so never played in a major tournament. It was bad luck for England too because he would have been such an asset to the international side.

Nonu Thu 12-Jul-12 20:49:40

anagram how old are you !!!

Anagram Thu 12-Jul-12 20:46:21

Get real? How old are you, Nonu? grin

Nonu Thu 12-Jul-12 20:43:45

Lets face it he over the hill now , also going to L.A why on earth should he be picked ?Get real

whenim64 Mon 09-Jul-12 15:40:41

Yes, me too! I know logically the fittest had to be picked, but it would have been a great crowd-pleaser.

petallus Mon 09-Jul-12 15:30:06

I would have liked him to play. I'm a fan of his.