Gransnet forums

Sport

Summer 2014

(16 Posts)
Soupy Sat 17-May-14 09:39:39

Tickets for the Rugby World Cup will be oversubscribed; the prices are very high, even for the pool games.

I'm on a list for tickets but it will be a bit of a lottery to get any.

They are being offered to club supporters first I believe

Anniebach Sat 17-May-14 09:35:27

Looking forward to the tennis and the games, couldn't care less sbout football or which flag is flown

Grannyknot Sat 17-May-14 08:38:58

I think they must be pre-Rugby World Cup Events. I've overheard many intense conversations this week about the Olympic Stadium, and Villa Stadium in Birmingham, and this pool and that round and who will get through. And quarter-finals and semi-finals and finals, and then he said to be aware that he was getting tickets for September/October. Oh, I'll tag along, I enjoy the atmosphere at rugby games smile.

JessM Sat 17-May-14 08:08:15

I don't know granyknot but the Rugby Union world cup is in England next year. They do not have one every year. It was in Australia last year I think?
So he is either buying tickets early for 2015 or there are some pre-world-cup events in the offing? Anyway i hope you are spending an absolute fortune on your own hobbies and interests as well (unless you are going to the games too?) Or planning a nice little holiday with someone who is not DH. grin

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 23:01:11

Ruby that sounds like fun.

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 23:00:31

FOR! damn Kindle.

rubysong Fri 16-May-14 22:54:26

We will watch the World Cup with a gang of friends in the village. 'Hosts' have been drawn for each match and will provide half-time refreshments in the style of the country we are playing. There will be lots of decorations up etc. We do it for each World Cup and Euro matches. We did Portuguese food some years ago and Slovenian, which was a bit of a challenge.

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 22:53:50

Fir not fir!

Why are they selling tickets for games in September this year?
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27432731

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 22:51:44

Jess I'm confused because husband is spending money on tickets and gear fir games this year!

annodomini Fri 16-May-14 22:47:39

Spare me the world cup hype! I like the Commonwealth Games but will be in France except for the first week. I doubt if the French will be broadcasting the news from Glasgow. Now, the Rugby World Cup - that's another matter!

JessM Fri 16-May-14 22:36:21

Grannyknot I think that is 2015 isn't it??? grin
It's true, there are a lot of northern English people in particular, in N Wales and no doubt there will be some football watched. No idea who the Welsh will be cheering for though. The Brazilian demonstrators probably. grin
What is the betting the sun shines non stop in competition.

tiggypiro Fri 16-May-14 22:23:11

I shall watch a little of everything but definately NOT any football. If there are any Union Jack flags flying rose I just hope they are flying the right way up and not indicating distress.

rosequartz Fri 16-May-14 21:41:46

There's no escape!

Grannyknot Fri 16-May-14 20:54:32

Rugby World Cup starts in September this year:

www.rugbyworldcup.com/

rosequartz Fri 16-May-14 20:49:45

There are lots of English living in Wales! Are we brave enough to fly the flag without everyone thinking we voted BNP? or do we care enough about football? DS does but I don't.

JessM Fri 16-May-14 20:45:23

Quite a lot for sports fans this summer, above and beyond the usual.

La Tour de France starts off as La Tour de Yorkshire (great honour, thank you Sir Bradley) Leeds - Harrogate on the 5th July, then on to Sheffield, Cambridge and London before they head across to France. www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/overall-route.html
First time it has been to the UK and Yorkshire is very excited. We will probably be watching the highlights every night.

The World Cup starts on 12th June and goes on for a whole month.
www.fifa.com/worldcup/ For those not in the loop this is soccer. I am hoping one of the advantages of living in Wales is that, seeing as we are not in it, there will not be a lot of fuss... This might be a handy hint for any avoiders... guaranteed no English flags - unless imported by tourists.

and, roll of drums...

The Commonwealth Games begins on 23rd July in Glasgow
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/21602391
17 sports including swimming, gymnastics, cycling and *athletics" Mo Farah is running! Much excitement as I adore athletics and who knows, might get a chance to cheer on a welsh athlete or two.

Will you be watching or even attending any of these events? Leaving the country to avoid them?