Gransnet forums

Sport

Cheltenham Races

(21 Posts)
HannahLoisLuke Fri 18-Mar-16 22:56:17

Without wishing to detract at all from Nins Carbury's win in the Foxhunter today I just wanted to congratulate Victoria Pendleton on coming 5th. For someone who hadn't even sat on a horse until a year ago she did amazingly well. She started off last and worked her way up until she finished in fifth position and over 22 fences! The girl has guts.

Miss my hero AP McCoy though. Not the same seeing him in an overcoat as a pundit. He was definitely missing it too and looked so wistful.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 18-Mar-16 22:57:15

Sorry, Nina Carbury. Dratted fingers!

Tegan Fri 18-Mar-16 23:12:33

I thought Victoria rode a brilliant race. Was really willing her to do well today after being totally against her riding in case her inexperience caused an accident to her horse or another. I love Nina Carberry with her beaming smile but I can't look on her as an amateur rider; but then I suppose you could say the same about Sam WC. Mind you, they are now thinking about allowing Victoria to ride in the amateur race at Aintree and that really does worry me.

merlotgran Fri 18-Mar-16 23:41:54

I was really impressed by Victoria Pendleton. Like Tegan I hoped she wasn't going to be a disaster and cause a pile up but despite her obvious nerves at the start she rode a sensible race and deserved her fifth place.

Some nasty falls this year sad

Tegan Fri 18-Mar-16 23:52:17

I haven't enjoyed it this week. The lows have outweighed the highs. Thank goodness Cue Card was ok. Victoria's horse didn't stay the trip either so the ride she gave him was fantastic. I felt the press [who will give her a great write up tomorrow] were just willing something to go wrong.

merlotgran Sat 19-Mar-16 00:00:34

I can't remember which commentator it was but one of them suggested that Victoria's race might mean tragedy. I think he was joking but I was furious. Too many horses have died this week. angry

Poor Cue Card. It was quite a shock when he fell.

Tegan Sat 19-Mar-16 00:06:24

sad

jusnoneed Sat 19-Mar-16 08:20:50

My OH and son were disappointed when Cue Card fell, he's trained a couple miles from here so is a local favourite.
We were chuffed when Vroum Vroum Mag turned on the style earlier in the week, his stable lass is my friends niece. We had to smile when the chap talking to Ruby Walsh turned to Steph and she was so emotional she was lost for words.

whitewave Sat 19-Mar-16 09:20:40

7. Yes 7 horses died providing all the race goers with their fun.

Tegan Sat 19-Mar-16 15:11:35

I can assure you that racegoers get no pleasure from seeing horses die [sad.

phoenix Sun 20-Mar-16 15:43:00

Have you seen the charity appeals for help for abandoned horses, or the footage of horses roaming on estates in parts of England and Ireland, whitewave? Racehorses are treated like Kings and queens, loved and respected by all those involved.

Retired racers, such as Denman and Kauto Star usually have a wonderful retirement, Kauto is now doing dressage,Denman generally riding out with the odd bit of hunting.

There was a letter in the Daily Telegraph last week, calling for racing to be (and I quote) "put out to pasture". The reply from another reader the next day which is worth a read.

At least failed or retired racehorses are not abandoned with their ears cut off, as has been known to happen to greyhounds.

Alea Sun 20-Mar-16 15:53:48

Ouch!! phoenix but you are right. Greyhounds have an identifying tattoo inside their ear, done as puppies, so an abandoned dog could be traced back to its owner/trainer, hence the despicable habit before (often literally) throwing them out - yes, from moving vehicles as well as stationary angry And don't get me started on what happens to the ones shipped to Spain, you don't want to know angryangry
The humane killer and being turned into dog food or French food is NOTHING in comparison.

phoenix Sun 20-Mar-16 16:40:44

Thank you for your post, Alea

Yes, I am a horse racing fan, and I, like most true lovers of the sport am very upset when a horse is fatally injured during a race .

As far as I am aware, everyone involved with the sport, from owners, trainers, jockeys, stable lads & girls, right down to the 10p e/w punters really love and respect the horses. The cheers that Sprinter Sacre got when winning after so many setbacks said a lot. Willie Mullins (trainer of the horse that came second) said something along the lines that that was was racing was all about.

whitewave Sun 20-Mar-16 16:42:09

Does seem a lot of horses though

granjura Sun 20-Mar-16 17:05:06

Must say it is naïve in the extreme to say all racing horses are retired in pleasant luxury. Winners from reputable stables do (and then there is all the rest- and all those who never make the grade, etc).

phoenix Sun 20-Mar-16 17:20:41

granjura I didn't say that all do, I just gave examples of 2 famous horses.
Those that don't do well at racing are usually sold on, if you take a look at the listed races in any newspaper you will see races at various courses listed as "selling" races. Even "failed" racehorses go for thousands of pounds, as indeed do many horses listed for sale in Horse & Hound.

I don't feel that that I should have to apologise for being pro racing, as I believe that without racing horses would be much worse off.

Alea Sun 20-Mar-16 17:34:09

I used to ride in the Scottish Birders and one of my favourite horses was a "failed" racehorse -surprisingly a dream to ride, didn't (usually) mistake the hills for the Grand National course and a much-loved family "pet"!!
Of course nobody should have to apologise for the "Sport of Kings" and a good stallion can look forward to a retirement full of good food and nookie-many humans might envy that.

granjura Sun 20-Mar-16 17:48:20

No-one asked for an apology- but to face facts with rose tinted glasses.

granjura Sun 20-Mar-16 17:51:13

I won't post videos and links, as they are so upsetting and gruesome- but research into the reality is easy to find.

Alea Sun 20-Mar-16 17:59:36

Scottish Borders oops.
What makes anybody think other members can't or won't face facts or be aware of the reality, with or without "rose tinted glasses"?

phoenix Sun 20-Mar-16 20:32:19

So granjura are you advocating doing away with racing, and if so what would you recommend to replace it to ensure that horses are still looked after?