Gransnet forums

Sport

The Olympics

(17 Posts)
obieone Wed 13-Jul-16 09:32:46

Just wondered whether anyone on gransnet is going?

It all seems so very different to 4 years ago, when so many of us went.

Charleygirl Wed 13-Jul-16 09:39:49

Rio is rather different from London, I would imagine that the expense would be horrendous. I live in London but preferred to watch it on TV.

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Jul-16 10:14:54

We went down to London for 4 days during the Olympics, saw some fantastic athletics and soaked up the atmosphere. It was an amazing experience and straight afterwards we were fired up and ready for Rio! Since then we've retired and can't afford it so we'll be watching it all on the telly instead grin

Alima Wed 13-Jul-16 10:19:15

Aaaaaaaah, more sport, help! On second thoughts I do like watching the diving, gymnastics and dressage, the telly will do for that.

ninathenana Wed 13-Jul-16 10:23:57

I would not pay to go to Brazil. Not really into sport but we did apply for a few different tickets for London with no luck ! Just for the experience. We're only a day trip away so would have been expensive.
I like the gymnastics and equestrian

ninathenana Wed 13-Jul-16 10:24:38

would not have been

obieone Wed 13-Jul-16 10:28:40

We thought briefly about going to Rio after the last Olympics. And then thought, no, not very likely! Amongst us now, no one has even mentioned it.

The problem with the telly is going to be time differences?

I am personally getting irked by time differences as some of my relatives are getting so scattered. Dont mind me, just a personal bugbear!

whitewave Tue 02-Aug-16 09:11:56

Reading about the problems I would definitely not like to take part in any of the water sports. The bacteria level sounds horrendous. It seems to me that Brazil was awarded the Olympics 8 years ago when its economy was expanding at an enormous rate and it was confidently thought at the time (I assume) that there would be sufficient money to deal with all the environmental and structural issues.

I to my immense surprise loved 2012 and enjoyed it all from the wonder ful opening ceremony to the closing ceremony, even though I was very cynical about it for years before. But I was totally captivated from day 1.

Now however the drug scandal and the reports of corruption etc in boxing and other sports has totally put me off. I can't help but think that every time someone wins by a good margin particularly if they are Russian I will wander if it is a genuine win, which saddens me a lot.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Aug-16 09:34:46

I was a gamesmaker at 2012 so I saw all the gymnastics and we were lucky enough to get tickets for a few other events too (we got Super Saturday in the ballot - all the people who got the 100m final for the Sunday were being very smug but I think we had the last laugh!) The atmosphere, the sport...everything was amazing. It really was the best summer. I love watching on telly when it's not on my doorstep smile but the time difference doesn't always make it easy

obieone Tue 02-Aug-16 09:36:35

I am still excited, though in reality, I doubt I will watch that much.

I expect it to be drama filled. But I hope for all of the right reasons.

They are either 3 hours behind us or 4. I couldnt quite understand which.

obieone Tue 02-Aug-16 09:39:05

That must have been great Cari!

We managed to get tickets for hockey, some rowing, and tai kwondo, I think 2 or 3 of them went to.
I would have liked to get into the stadium, but am glad for what we did get to see.

gettingonabit Tue 02-Aug-16 09:45:06

Lucky Cari!

We were in London for what turned out to be Super Saturday. Having failed to get anywhere near the stadium we crossed London to see the Wonens' Walk, which was free. Great view! And those walkers can really shift...

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Aug-16 09:49:55

Was amazing. Also managed to get (by being persistent with the refrsh button!) various tickets for the Paralympics too. Was only £5 to take children. DD loved every second. Also took her to the victory parade (free) and she got waved at by Jessica Ennis - her hero

gettingonabit Tue 02-Aug-16 09:59:40

Carienvy.

I'd love to go to Rio. It's one of my favourite destinations. Back in the day we went to a football match-quite a big game between Vasco and Flamengo-and someone set the stadium-the Maracana-on fire. grin.

Hope that doesn't happen during the Olympics....

M0nica Tue 02-Aug-16 20:11:11

DD is a television sub-titler and will be sub-titling the Olympics. She has several 6pm - 4am shifts coming up because of the time difference. Fortunately she is an extreme owl rather than a lark.

Jalima Tue 02-Aug-16 21:00:39

obieone they are 4 hours behind us at the moment (British Summer Time)
In the winter they will be 3 hours behind us (GMT)

ninathenana Tue 02-Aug-16 21:19:03

Just seen on another thread just how much coverage the BBC are giving it.
We're not all sports fans !! angry