Gransnet forums

Sport

How Much?!!

(84 Posts)
NfkDumpling Mon 15-Aug-16 22:30:23

Is 347 million just a bit too much to invest in these Olympics? It's very nice 'Team GB' getting all these medals but could some of this money have been better spent propping up the NHS for example?

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 18:42:11

post in response to Jane10's post!

Emptynester Tue 16-Aug-16 19:14:57

Lucky girl..the Olympic Stadium is now used by West Ham football club, and the Aquatic Centre is used by all sorts of local swimming clubs and is open to he public for their use during the day and is very, very popular according to the radio this week. I know they have held cycling races in the velodrome, so I am wondering which particular bits are not being used. Surely the only issue here is that if players of the lottery disagree with the way the funds are spent then they will stop buying the tickets. I am totally behind all our Olympians.

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 19:52:36

Jalima opm (other people's money). Big bonus for govt! Country distracted at no cost to them.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 20:14:49

So do you think the Government anticipated Brexit, therefore several years ago started persuading the Big Lottery Fund to contribute sums of money to help and encourage young athletes to participate in the Games which occur every four years anyway and that the Olympic Committee decided to hold the games to distract people from troubles in the UK?

Or was your post a joke rofl

ellenemery Tue 16-Aug-16 20:28:44

I happened to see an article last week or the week before about the athletes village in the East End. Some are let out as affordable housing but some are let out at a competitive rent and I am sure the figure was in the region of £495 per week. I hope some of this is coming back to fund other areas that need help and not lining some companies pocket.

Jane10 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:30:57

It was just a remark Jalima grin

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 20:36:38

Noted and understood grin

leemw711 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:41:09

susied - I don't really understand your post which seemed very snobbish. Those so-called elite sports you mention are not easy to achieve in; they require great skill, hard work and natural ability too. As for private education, it is not elitist but available to anybody who has the intellectual ability to benefit from a good school. Both of my sons were privately educated, not because we are rich but because their fees were paid by the scholarships they won by passing entrance exams. The cost to us was less than sending them to the local grammar school would have been and the education they received at their separate schools prepared them both for study at top universities.

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Aug-16 20:46:13

Thanks chrissyh for the link. Most interesting.

Our district council area doesn't seem to have been very demanding. The lottery funded equipment for two community gyms, a new table tennis table for a high school and some new mats for two short mats bowls clubs.

Sports England funded a rescue boat for a small sailing club, a new boiler to heat a school swimming pool and money towards a replacement rowing (racing) boat. Not exactly inspiring.

I suppose most of the Olympic money goes towards paying the athletes and funding their expenses.

durhamjen Tue 16-Aug-16 20:50:32

fullfact.org/health/has-london-2012-olympics-had-sporting-legacy-uk/

Apparently Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland people participate more in sport since the London Olympics, but not England.
Less well off groups are less likely to participate, so susied is right.

GillT57 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:58:50

Jalima agree with you about the swimmer's parents, lots of sacrifices made and to be honest I think that some of the comments on here are frankly nasty. These athletes, irrespective of whether they went to state or independent schools deserve our support. I buy the occasional lottery ticket and I am quite happy for my small amount to contribute to funding these youngsters. If you dont wish to do so, then dont buy a ticket. You would all feel differently if it was your grandchild running their heart out, so lighten up. And no, I wouldnt buy a lottery ticket to fund your new hip,that is the responsibility of govt funding, not of the lottery fund.

Peaseblossom Tue 16-Aug-16 21:18:55

They shouldn't have to put up income tax, they should stop giving benefits to the many people who are faking disabilities and those lazy people who say it's not worth their while getting a job because they can get more money on benefits. Have they no pride?! Stop giving child benefit after the first child. Why should people have to fund your children? Maybe it will stop people breeding like rabbits. Stop letting thousands of people into the country and giving them benefits and letting them use our NHS which is at breaking point.

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 21:20:33

Hear hear GillT57

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 21:26:26

Um confused
Not sure what that has to do with the Olympics?
Unless you are meaning immigrants like the wonderful Mo Farrah who I believe came to the UK when he was a child from Somalia and is now proud to represent Britain (and we are mightily proud of him too!).

GillT57 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:48:52

peaseblossom if you are not drunk or a troll or having a joke, then you should be ashamed of yourself, Disgusting comments, and a frightening glimpse into the mindset of some of the Brexit voters. Now, back to the grown up and polite comments please

rafichagran Tue 16-Aug-16 22:11:25

Vile comments Peaceblossom The Olypics are about all Nations competing together. Totally unnessary to say that in this thread.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 22:15:19

Lottery funding of anything is optional, as in you choose to buy a ticket or not, funding the NHS and other things such as pensions etc is not.

durhamjen Tue 16-Aug-16 22:33:47

This is on the sport forum, peaseblossom.
Have you strayed?
Such a pleasant name, too. One of Titania's fairies, I believe.
You are supposed to be amenable and do as you are asked.

Maggiemaybe Wed 17-Aug-16 09:58:30

Surely that wasn't meant to be taken literally, peaseblossom? Are you having a larf?

gillybob Wed 17-Aug-16 10:10:38

I am not sure of the benefits enjoyed by hosting the Olympics. Maybe there are figures available? But let us not pretend that the LONDON Olympics offered any benefit to the UK at a whole.

Firecracker123 Wed 17-Aug-16 12:41:28

Well done Team GB second in the medal table, we are the best in Europe. Worth every penny of lottery funding. Fantasticgrin

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-16 19:36:55

£347 million over 4 years. That is roughly £13 a year per household, that does not seem unreasonable. The money is all 'donated' willingly by lottery players. I cannot see the problem.

Our athletes have the success they do because they devote their whole lives 24/7 to achieving the levels they need to be winners, or even chosen to compete. If other people in other walks of life put even half the time and effort in to achieving their personal bests in whatever their they follow, what success this country would have in the world.

Most athletes have a very short life at the top, so they are receiving funding and being supported for a relatively short time. After which, like the rest of us, they have to work their own way in the world.

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-16 19:39:48

Sorry, £12 over a four year period, £3 a year, peanuts.

Jalima Wed 17-Aug-16 20:04:01

You would think from some posts that all the lottery money went on training Olympic athletes! In fact, it is quite a low percentage £347 million over 4 years.
(if anyone would like to work it out, too tired tonight grin)

A year in numbers:
From total ticket sales of £7,595 million in the year ending 31 March 2016:

£1,901 million was raised for National Lottery projects
£4,198 million was paid to players in prizes
£911 million went to the Government in Lottery Duty
£333 million was earned by retailers in commission

www.national-lottery.co.uk/life-changing/where-the-money-goes

Jalima Wed 17-Aug-16 20:05:43

The article states that sport gets 20% - but that is sport overall, many, many projects, not just funding the would-be Olympians.