Gransnet forums

Sport

Swimming

(30 Posts)
Nannarose Wed 14-Jun-17 17:38:50

£15 a month for 'offpeak' swimming at our local, basic 25m pool, that includes water classes such as aqaufit that take place at off peak times.
I am especially grateful for this at times when I have been unable to walk following surgery.

tanith Wed 14-Jun-17 17:28:58

Not waking , Ealing West London

tanith Wed 14-Jun-17 17:27:56

Used to be free here in Waking but no more we pay £2.50 but I recently joined the gym there so I pay £30 a month for gym,pool and any excercise class. I swim twice a week plus the gym

PamelaJ1 Wed 14-Jun-17 17:04:03

Just been on our local swimming pool site. Doesn't seem to be a reduction for pensioners. I'm in North Norfolk.
I'm not sure if there should be. Swimming is a great exercise but so is walking and that's free. I understand that older people should exercise to keep fit but not at the expense of more vital services.
My 'local' pool is 16 miles away so wold cost me quite a lot to even get there.

waterandballroomaddict Wed 14-Jun-17 16:46:33

As a regular swimmer at my local pool in the steam afterwards we have been talking about the inconsistency of charging for pensioners for swimming. In fact, at our local pool in Crawley Sussex there is a reduction for pensioners but my most local pool in Horsham,Sussex holds out against reducing charges for pensioners. Of course others regale us with tales of the free charges for pools in the land of milk and honey of London and suburbs. It would be interesting to know other peoples stories and in fact, if there is a case for naming and shaming pools such as my local one in Horsham or elswhere in the country.