Gransnet forums

Sport

I love Wimbledon

(92 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 05-Jul-17 15:16:42

Waves across to the 'haters' thread grin

The centre court umpire has a VERY sexy voice. Sounds a bit like Barry White.

Forty.....luuuuuurve

AdeleJay Thu 06-Jul-17 10:42:09

I love Wimbledon but am not so obsessed that I watch every match. But it's great that we have some top women players at the moment. My Aussie friend bemoans the fact that she has no players to be proud of these days confused

Kim19 Thu 06-Jul-17 10:43:05

I'm somewhat ambivalent. I think BBC makes it an irritant by overkill. I'm also guilty of only homing in once a player has reached 4 games in a set. I channel hop and hang around if a game is at an interesting stage irrespective of who's playing. Have to admit I don't know many of the players' names or nationalities nowadays. I'm led to believe(???) a person only has to live here for 5 years to 'become' British?

Mspjam123 Thu 06-Jul-17 11:04:14

Am mad about tennis any time as well as this fortnight. The only two things I ever avoided were Pete Boring Sampras and when Alex Salmond kept turning up at a certain player's matches!

paddyann Thu 06-Jul-17 11:08:41

Mspjam123 is there any reason WHY a country's leader SHOULDN'T go see one of his countrymens matches? Dont the PM and family and the royals go too? Or is it different because AS is Scottish ?

pollyperkins Thu 06-Jul-17 11:29:02

I find it BORING ss I do most sports.
However Id rather sit out in the garden than watch TV at this time of year.

JanaNana Thu 06-Jul-17 11:47:13

I can take or leave Wimbledon. My husband enjoys it more than I do..if I get fed up I find something else to do. I like the tradition of it though on the British calendar. I get completely absorbed in the Chelsea Flower show for its complete week, so understand how people who are keen on on Wimbledon and other things that we have each year enjoy them. To me tennis, gardening, horse racing etc are all part of the summertime events. Each to their own ...it's all over far too soon.

missdeke Thu 06-Jul-17 12:12:41

I love Wimbledon, always have but I find I miss Dan Maskell's dulcet tones in the commentary box. Rafa is brilliant but I find him difficult to watch, I find myself concentrating on his OCD instead of the match. Djokovic and Federer personify the gentlemanly aspect of tennis but the excitement and some time brilliance of players like Kyrgios makes for interesting watching. I miss the days of Borg and McEnroe, especially as they didn't all seem to grunt and groan with every swing of the raquet like they do today.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 06-Jul-17 13:01:10

I love Wimbledon, my tv is on throughout, and there is for me an air of refinement with tennis that you don't get with other sporting events that involve a lot of stamina.
Mainly football, where the players spit, jump on each other and you know they are shouting obscenities.
My money is on Andy. I really hope he can make it a 3rd and congratulations with a new baby on the way.

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 13:59:54

missdeke I was at Wimbledon a few years ago and Maria Sharapova was playing; I hadn't realised from TV coverage how LOUD her grunts were! - must have been incredibly off-putting to her opponent, I was amazed she was allowed to continue!

Personally have fingers crossed for Federer.

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 14:49:54

Djokovic has just got through round 2 in 3 straight sets - made it look like a walk in the park!

whitewave Thu 06-Jul-17 15:08:17

Sat here with Pimms - doors all open and in the shade from boiling hot sun - watching good tennis. Does life get any better?

Feeling mellow from Pimms grin

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 15:09:35

agree ww - wish I was there smile

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 16:24:04

I miss the old days when the scoreboard told you which country the player represented - have to keep finding somewhere to check now...

merlotgran Thu 06-Jul-17 16:29:47

Same here, devongirl. It does show on the main scoreboard but it's usually a blink and you miss it moment.

Dustin Brown, for instance, plays for Germany because he was born there. His parents are British of Jamaican origin. He wanted to play for GB but couldn't get the funding.

confused grin

NemoNanna Thu 06-Jul-17 16:33:23

Two words make Wimbledon worth watching 'Roger Federer'. Took this pic on a practice court a couple of years ago.

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 16:37:35

Great pic!!

whitewave Thu 06-Jul-17 18:14:21

Fed is on ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

whitewave Thu 06-Jul-17 19:12:50

He changed his shirt?????

Tessa101 Thu 06-Jul-17 21:54:46

Love Wimbledon.... myself and my DD go to the semi finals every year and sit on the hill and sometimes get chance to buy tickets for centre court later in the day. Great day out, you get to move around and watch all the games on the outside courts. She's an avid Murray fan... but I'm saying nothing!!

starlily106 Thu 06-Jul-17 22:15:08

Don't watch it, too busy watching the Tour de France. Glued to the tv for 3 weeks, doing housework during the commercial breaks, early morning shopping, anything else has to wait until the race has finished.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 07-Jul-17 08:10:56

I'm no Tennis fan but My interest perked up a bit when Dustin Brown appeared.

Regarding Andy Murray, I always thought he was a bad tempered sort but have changed my view since watching various interviews. Still think his voice is boring but he can't help that and I think he even laughs about it himself.

If he could just stop that aggressive looking fist pumping and grimacing he'd be ok in my book. Think he got it from his mother!

Pittcity Fri 07-Jul-17 08:57:28

No need to sit indoors watching. I sit out in a shady spot and watch on my laptop.
Colchester also shows it on a huge screen in the park. There are Pimms and strawberries for sale. It's like a local Henman Hill and it's free.

Anniebach Fri 07-Jul-17 09:12:57

Have concerns for Andy today

whitewave Fri 07-Jul-17 09:51:22

I think Murray has matured slightly over the years, but I certainly don't find him either the best player or most attractive character.

I like the coolness and sophistication of Federer and of course he is the most outstanding, best ever player. His choice of apparel is always good as well.
In fact an all round good egg!!

merlotgran Fri 07-Jul-17 15:06:55

COME ON HEATHER!!!