Gransnet forums

Sport

World Cup “celebrations” out of hand?

(14 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 09:23:12

Much has been made by some people of the poor behaviour of football fans (or at least they say they are, aka Rent a Mob) after Saturdays brilliant result.
Yes it was bad.
Yes it is regrettable and totally at odds with the standard of conduct shown by Gareth Southgate’s men.
But was it any worse than any city in the U.K. or anywhere where drink is taken at a weekend and where emotions run high? Hundreds of thousands were celebrating after all.
Not excusing it for a minute, but if the headlines and photographs are the only source of information we can get a distorted view.
This was from today’s DT not usually known for its tolerance of yoof /yob culture, but I think maintaining a sense of perspective.
In London, one man scaled a double decker bus outside Clapham Junction station before he was filmed jumping on to a bus shelter roof and falling through it. In Borough, an ambulance was taken out of service after its bonnet and windscreen were damaged by people climbing on it
London Ambulance Service tweeted: “We’re delighted with the result, but this has put a big dampener on the celebrations for us: while our officer attended a call nearby, this car was damaged in Borough High Street during the celebrations after the game – it’s now off the road to be repaired.
A Met Police spokesman said detectives were investigating, but no arrests had been made.
The spokesman said the force was not aware of other “significant” incidents following the match.
Rowdy fans also stormed an Ikea store in Stratford, east London, where they jumped on furniture while singing “Football’s Coming Home”
An Ikea spokesman tweeted: “We are aware of a small group of fans celebrating the result in one of our stores

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 09:32:56

Fortunately today's youngsters will see the team members as their role models and not the hooligans.
An opportunity for parents to discuss the right or wrong way to be a supporter.

gillybob Mon 09-Jul-18 09:48:19

I agree with mcem .

I wasn’t aware of any hooliganism directly connected with the World Cup Maw. There certainly hasn’t been any here in The NE (that I am aware of) . Thankfully most young people will look at the way our team have conducted themselves ( often being severely provoked) and behaved impeccably.

I don’t think bad behaviour needs an excuse.

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 09:51:12

It was another member who drew attention to it as yet another example of Brexit Britain going to the dogs and equating football violence with Leave support.
I was trying to put things into perspective.

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 10:36:29

I realised that maw and that post was certainly part of a different agenda.

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 10:39:57

smile

crystaltipps Mon 09-Jul-18 11:16:29

We were driving through our city outskirts at the end of the match and there were hundreds of people pouring out of pubs and singing , waving, car horns hooting, we joined in ( had 2 GDs in Car) and had loads of cheers. It was a great atmosphere, not rowdy or threatening. The few unfortunate incidents reported are hopefully not typical .

eazybee Mon 09-Jul-18 14:16:56

How disappointing.
Just when football seemed to be becoming gentlemanly.

Farmnanjulie Mon 09-Jul-18 14:18:23

I am probably biased as I loathe football! But my husband plays high level rugby and have have been to stadiums for big games,and none of this happens,you do not have to separate fans,everyone mixes ,with little kids and older people.
There is always a good atmosphere and you can have a drink while you watch a game and there is no stupid behaviour.
This country goes into overdrive when England play,some fans were bouncing on a police car roof,the paper said it was good natured! As if that's okay!
Unfortunately football brings out the worst in people,when me and my husband on a holiday last week ,were being continually asked about the game,the team,the manager and so on! We said that we do not like football but rugby some people got really angry with us! We were called traitors! And more! All from boozy fans in pubs!
One guy could not get his head around it! And kept coming over and taking issue with us,my husband used to play for Harlequins,he is retired from playing as he is 43 now ,and had a club top on,but this really seemed to upset people,he was told he should be wearing a England shirt!
Are we the only ones who really don't care about who wins?

Missfoodlove Mon 09-Jul-18 15:12:55

Farmnanjulie,
I far prefer watching a game of rugby than football, it’s a faster pace, more skilled and rougher, perhaps this is why there is rarely trouble after a match.
Could it be that after paying an arm and a leg to watch a game there is an anti climax?
I hope England win and it would be a great boost for the country, I also feel that Gareth Southgate is an honourable man who could put the respect back in football.
However as the mother of rugby playing sons and the wife of a once rugby playing husband ( not professional) it’s my preferred game.
Isn’t there a saying “ Rugby a thugs game played by gentleman and football a gentleman’s game played by thugs? “
Don’t all shout, these are not my words but food for thought.

suzied Mon 09-Jul-18 15:42:56

I'm not remotely interested in football, but I think England in this world cup has shown a better side of the game. There aren't any overblown stars in the team ( not sure that will last once the media gets hold of them, but its great there are a team of young, diverse, largely unknowns , plus we've no idea who their wives or girlfriends are) Gareth Southgate has promoted a disciplined approach to the game and he seems genuinely nice guy. Saw a clip on our local news of one of the players doing voluntary work with some very sick children and sending messages from Russia to one of these young lads. He didn't promote this himself , it was the boys parents who reported this. I was impressed by this. Im hoping the team do well and don't get their heads turned too much by all the inevitable attention.

paddyann Mon 09-Jul-18 18:54:05

theres a post on MN where there are details of loads of anti socail and downright dangerous behaviour across Englland AFTER they won.One pub says it wont show football again as it always costs a fortune replacing breakages and making right damage .Several who say that cars were wrecked and drunks who caused mayhem in their towns.Isn't it time for all of the UK to put a stop to this disgusting behaviour.I suppose I could (maybe) understand if their team lost but they WON!!!

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 19:12:08

How likely am I to regard Mumsnet as my source of information of choice of at any time ?
Anybody can evidence instances of anti-social behaviour and drink-fuelled hooliganism on a Saturday in towns and cities all over the country and abroad, so the “reports”on Mumsnet hardly impress me.
Football has had a poor reputation in the past, let’s not talk it up again. The comments I referred to were part of yet another criticism of the U.K. compared to other countries, I was merely trying to instil a sense of proportion.

gillybob Mon 09-Jul-18 21:50:22

Well I haven’t come across any hooliganism at all here in the NE . All very amicable and no trouble whatsoever. I don’t know where all this trouble was but it is by no means typical.

I agree with Maw certain football clubs did have bad reputations in the past but thankfully things seem a lot better these days. I agree we shouldn’t allow a few people behaving badly to cloud our judgement.