Gransnet forums

Sport

England Football Team

(23 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 14-Jul-18 17:34:36

Sorry you didn’t get the bronze England

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 14:07:36

Lets hope so lemon . I have noticed that our town hall is flying the England flag alongside the Union flag. For some strange reason the EU flag seems to have blown away ......in the wind.

Baggs Thu 12-Jul-18 14:07:29

Sure hope so, lemon. Far too much negativity has been attached to the StGeorge flag for far too long.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 14:00:43

A bit of good natured ribbing between our countries is fine,
And yes, England should start doing it more.One of our nearby market towns has taken to hanging it, in the manner of bunting, along with the Union flag, and our village flies it on certain days.We do need to reclaim our flag from being seen as the property of extreme right wing groups.
I think, in a small way, this has now begun.

luluaugust Thu 12-Jul-18 13:39:41

My Welsh relations jokingly (I think) informed me they were flying flags at half mast and my Scottish relations said they would no longer have a guilty conscience over the Final - what can you do!?

Iam64 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:27:35

Phew! It's only a game -even if I love the game in question. Gillybob and I are pretty united in the discussions on the World Cup. As for pride in our flag, Gillybob is absolutely right, its nigh on impossible to show pride in the Flag without being accused of racism.

An English flag was fluttering outside a local farm during a walk last year. One of our party comments they'll be Britain First or NationalFront". The friend is a lovely person and is from the UK but not from England. I was shocked and suggested maybe the people were flying the England flag because it needs reclaiming from that kind of organisation and it's less likely to fly the Union Flag because that's likely to lead to the same kind of negative accusations.

trisher Thu 12-Jul-18 13:10:26

*Anniebach Not everyone is interested in football trisher.
I don't think I said everyone was. I did say there have been substantial amounts of people out demonstrating their support and I wondered if it was age or gender that meant there was no discussion or support on GN.
I certainly know quite a few women who support football teams so possible not just gender.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 13:00:23

With all due respect annie that's rubbish. I was so proud of Wales ( a home nation) reaching the semi finals in the Euro 2016 championships (Gareth Bale in particular) and I recall a good BBC coverage too.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 12:53:16

Yes gilly they would have given it far less air time .

Good grief Tim Henman had far more airtime for failing to win Wimbledon than Andy Murray had for winning .

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 12:49:01

So if Wales, Scotland or NI had made it to the semi final of the WORLD cup, the BBC would have skipped over it would they ? hmm

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 12:47:19

You referred to me as a little Englander just yesterday Annie .

In any case, I doubt the Welsh nation is so fragile that they can't take a little gentle ribbing every now and again. We English are rather used to it. I met a welsh couple recently who had the most amazing sense of humour, much like that of the Geordies. I took to them within minutes. Never laughed so much in ages. In fact after a few sherbets our sing song accents seemed to blend together .

Okay so you had to be there. grin

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 12:46:24

niggly, the BBC put many off , yes include it in the news but don’t make it the only news . Who cares that Jo Bloggs had to drive a bus whilst England was playing apart from Jo Bloggs.

Yes the cave diving teams were heroes

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 12:40:50

Gilly, please keep to the truth, no one has said all English football supporters are little englanders , I did refer to a poster as a little englander because he chose to mock Wales, he found a need to do this , god knows why.

Not everyone is interested in football trisher. In fairness if there was little comment on the celebrations in the streets of England there was little if any comment on the young girl stamping on an ambulance car or the fact domestic violence rose in those weeks.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 12:39:39

Again I'm with you annie. Tbh I couldn't give a flying fig who does or doesn't win, what is, only a game!! As for the RF etc not going to Russia! We've accused Russia of murder on our streets!! To go there as their guests would hardly be appropriate. Even an ancient granny like me can work that out!!!
Sf, I too feel enormous pride in our cave diving team that helped rescue those children and their coach. They make me proud, not footballers!!

trisher Thu 12-Jul-18 12:13:43

It is strange that an event that has had the whole country (England) out on the streets singing and dancing has received so little attention on GN. Is it to do with the gender/age of the posters?Or is there some other factor? As for the government, establishment, royals I suspect it is to do with the Russian nerve gas poisoning. Of course it could also be that Boris and DD were just upstaging the team by resigning!

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 11:55:04

Of course not "the whole mood of the UK" Annie we should remember that most of Scotland, Wales and NI (the ABE's) would have been willing them home from the first round

You must've missed my previous post Annie. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that "the whole of the UK was not supporting the team" why would they?

The problem is that we English (who you kindly refer to as "little Englanders") are slated for showing an ounce of patriotism. If we fly the flag we are racist thugs, if we display any sign of pride in our country we are "little Englanders".

We can't win .

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 11:44:06

Gilly, this will surprise you but the entire U.K. was not either supporting the team, or hoping they would lose, many just are not interested in football .

I do think it sad that anyone needed a football team to make them proud of their country

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 11:33:15

Of course not "the whole mood of the UK" Annie we should remember that most of Scotland, Wales and NI (the ABE's) would have been willing them home from the first round.

Anyway I agree with you grandad1943 it was such a shame that kings and leaders of various countries were all there watching their teams, cheering them on when no-one of any clout from England could be bothered. Having said that I gather they were told by the powers that be that they were not allowed to go to Russia due to political differences (we have after all accused them of murder).

I agree that they have given many people a sense of pride in their country ENGLAND ! and perhaps like the rest of the UK we should shout about our country a bit more !

Sparklefizz Thu 12-Jul-18 10:51:57

I am proud of the football team ...... but I am even more proud of the British cave divers who helped rescue the Thai boys and their coach who were trapped. Praise where it's due.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 10:49:10

Not the whole mood of the U.K.

What I thought was sad was many English supporters interviewed said they were now proud of their flag ,seemed shallow that it took a few football matches to make anyone have pride in their country’s flag.

The government is not an English government, it is the U.K. government

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 10:48:46

Who could have guessed that Gareth Southgate, with little manager experience could have been so inspiring to the team.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 10:40:42

Do you get a small fee Grandad for every forum post knocking the Conservatives ( paid for by Labour funds)?
grin as you manage to even get it into a thread on football.

I have never felt not proud of my country, so the word again doesn’t make sense to me.
I can agree however, on the rest of your comments about the England football team, they did extremely well.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:32:33

For over a month now the England team at the World Cup have held the nation enthralled by every aspect of their performance in the tournament. This young team went out to Russia with little expectation on them and very few fans prepared to travel with them for any number of reasons.

However, with each match ever more eyes turned towards those young lads as the whole mood of the UK was lifted by their achievements often as underdogs in what became a wonderful joint team and management effort. Even the defeat against Belgium could not deflate their enthusiasm and belief in themselves.

Of course, it all had to end eventually as experience eventually overcome enthusiasm, but what joy and entertainment they have given us all even in eventual defeat. They have made so many in Britain feel once again proud of our country.

It was a great pity however that this government could not keep it together and come out fully supporting those lads as other governments have done.