Gransnet forums

Sport

Women's football

(22 Posts)
Caledonai14 Tue 28-May-19 15:50:17

Really looking forward to seeing Jamaica and Scotland in their friendly match at Hampden tonight. It's a warm up for both teams for the World Cup in France.

Both teams face some of the greats in their groups.

Scotland's opener against England will be tough on June 9th, and then Japan and Argentina await.

Jamaica will face Australia, Italy and Brazil.

I hope they get the hoped-for 10,000 crowd tonight. I can't get it confirmed but somebody told me the tickets are £5 (£2 for children) and that's a very reasonable price for two teams who have qualified for the world cup.

Good luck to all the international teams in France.

annsixty Tue 28-May-19 16:40:16

I cannot understand women playing football, it just doesn't seem right .
This is totally illogical of me I know .
I can just about condone cricket, though I still think it is odd,
But football ,rugby , boxing and wrestling are a complete nono for me.

annsixty Tue 28-May-19 16:44:31

I am sorry because even as I pressed post I realise it wasn't the reaction or response you would be expecting.
I wasn't being rude or personal, just expressing my own thoughts (or prejudices).

Anja Tue 28-May-19 16:47:11

ann60 I can’t understand why anyone over the age of, say 10?, would want to play football. Or golf!

Alima Tue 28-May-19 16:55:19

I think it is absolutely wonderful that women are now able to play football, would have liked the option when I was at school. My DGD, nearly 8, plays football at school even though she is a very girly girl. It is just the way they do things now. So many opportunities for girls now, as it should be.

Caledonai14 Tue 28-May-19 17:04:50

I agree with you about boxing Annsixty. I think the training is a good thing, especially where there are few other sporting opportunities, but I've never liked actual boxing for men either.

In America, for a long time, football or soccer was seen as a game for little girls, so I think it might be just what we are used to.

Women played football in the UK a hundred years ago, but then it was banned for a long time.

I enjoy watching the women's game. Just as much passion but a lot less rolling about on the ground and arguments with the ref (these do happen - just not in the same quantities).

There are no rights and wrongs when it comes to sports we enjoy. I feel sorry for people who have to pay huge ticket prices, though.

Fortunately, that is not the case in women's football - here at any rate.

EllanVannin Tue 28-May-19 17:25:14

I only like athletics where both men and women compete, nothing else.

annodomini Tue 28-May-19 17:50:30

It used to be football and rugby for the boys; hockey and netball for the girls in our schooldays, although boys have also played hockey - DS2 has been playing for a good 30 years and I think it's about time he gave up. Football is no more dangerous for girls than hockey is, especially the way they play hockey nowadays which looks like a free-for-all! Rugby, I admit is equally dangerous for males and females. I love watching it, but am rather glad girls of my generation didn't play it.

Sar53 Tue 28-May-19 20:11:38

I think it's great that women play competitive football. We watched England play Denmark at the weekend and I'm looking forward to the Women's World Cup.
My 7 1/2 year old granddaughter plays at school and has just joined a local team. She is also a very girly girl, loves pretty dresses but loves her football. Our Christmas present to her last year was her football kit.

Caledonai14 Wed 29-May-19 09:32:16

Congratulations to the Scottish team, beating Jamaica 3-2 in a friendly and supportive atmosphere. And well done to the crowd of 14,000 + who cheered our lasses. It proves a reasonable ticket price can make the difference. Good luck to all teams in the World Cup in France.

maryeliza54 Wed 29-May-19 09:56:53

Well my dh who knows everything there is to know about football ( and then some) is very very positive about women’s football and really enjoys watching any matches he can access. I just slink away to my study

FarNorth Wed 29-May-19 10:03:57

My late dh also watched any football he could and was genuinely interested in women's football because of the different style of play.

gulligranny Sun 16-Jun-19 19:47:35

I am really happy that women can play pretty well whatever sport they want these days - I just don't have to like it!

I'm a woman, I love football, but I really don't like women's football, or most of the women commentators. The depth of knowledge isn't there, except for people like Jacqui Oatley or Eilidh Barbour who are equally at home with other sports.

So no, not for me.

merlotgran Wed 19-Jun-19 22:33:07

Well done, girls! A well deserved win against Japan.

hugshelp Wed 19-Jun-19 22:53:00

Enjoyed the England game though we got a bit sloppy in the second half and had a bit of luck on our side at times but very good result, two good goals and some solid goal keeping . Japan played well. Great to see some good clean footy too, no diving or histrionics.
Shame for Scotland, didn't see it so don't know how it fell apart, except for the penalty.

Pittcity Thu 20-Jun-19 08:24:36

DH and I think that the women's game is so much better to watch than the men's. It's good old fashioned football as opposed to prima Donna posturing.

Jabberwok Sun 23-Jun-19 19:13:21

I think it's fantastic that woman play football! wby on earth shouldn't they? My mother played cricket at school in 1931, When I was at school we weren't allowed to!!! Rounders and tennis in summer, hockey and netball in winter. Loved them all, but would loved to have played football and cricket as well. Lucky ladies, good luck to you all!

Alima Sun 23-Jun-19 19:41:14

Woo hoo Pittcity, did you see the Cameroon match today? Not so much posturing, I thought someone would get lynched!

HildaW Sun 23-Jun-19 19:47:12

I loathe football - its all about vast sums of money nowadays and some pretty nasty people.
However, watching the women play it is totally different. Strangely its seems to be more honest and skillful. They have to be so dedicated....no vast sums of money or dodgy sponsorships...just sheer hard work and dedication against some very entrenched and ridiculous bigotry. I find myself quite confused.
I recently learnt that women's football was a huge thing back in the early 20thC and was comprehensively squashed by the powers that be once all the men were back from the Great War, its taken all this time for them to get back to this stage. I wish them well and just hope that women's football is not tainted by the racism and misogyny of the men's version - well done girls/ladies!

merlotgran Sun 23-Jun-19 23:41:41

Well done, England.

The most entertaining game so far.....for all the wrong reasons. shock

Jabberwok Fri 28-Jun-19 12:46:16

I'm not interested in mens football at all for the reasons given by HildaW and luckily neither is DH! but the women are a different matter! How brilliant was last night?!! I would love to have played all those years ago! Bit late now!!!!!!!

Grammaretto Fri 28-Jun-19 13:22:47

Yes Jabberwock !

DGD plays football and has played in a mixed team since she was 8 and now at 11 she is in a girl's team. She loves it and judging by all her trophies, is rather good although she never boasts. DS loves taking her to matches both men and women.
Now that it has become mainstream and she can see it on TV, it is even better. You are no longer seen as butch.