Gransnet forums

Sport

Wimbledon

(19 Posts)
Joelsnan Wed 03-Jul-19 11:32:34

I used to enjoy watching Wimbledon, however I find I cannot watch it anymore as the levels of ridiculous noises coming from the courts is so off putting I just have to turn over. I suppose I could mute but then the atmosphere would be lost.
Also, two main stream BBC channels dedicated to Wimbledon is beyond a joke.
Has anyone else lost their love of tennis due to grunting, groaning, squealing etc.?

stella1949 Wed 03-Jul-19 12:52:37

I'm watching at the moment - with the sound off ! The men are not so bad, but the women drive me nuts with all that forced squealing and yelling. Apparently they are told to do it by their coaches from when they are young - supposed to make them play better I suppose !

Labaik Wed 03-Jul-19 13:22:24

Too much information; feel free to not read this...
….but I have a nasty little corn on my little toe that I have learned to keep under control by cutting it out on a regular basis. This hurts at the time but I've realised that if, when I cut a bit out I shout out 'ow' at the same time it doesn't hurt. I always think of tennis players when I do it. However, I must admit that I stopped watching Sharapova a long time ago because her screams drove me mad....

Anja Fri 05-Jul-19 22:01:55

Must be going deaf. Just watched the Coco Gauff match and didn’t hear or notice any undue noise.

What a brilliant young player to come back from two match points down to win.

Charleygirl5 Fri 05-Jul-19 22:04:51

A lot of the girls are so much quieter- less grunting and shrieking which I hate.

tanith Fri 05-Jul-19 22:33:20

There was a match this afternoon and the noise was awful one woman grunting and the other a high pitched squeal, I couldn’t stand it and turned off and retired to the garden. Not a sound in the Gauff match.

Joelsnan Fri 05-Jul-19 22:58:51

It was a pleasure to be able to watch the Gauff match. I had to check that I still didn’t have the TV on mute. What a match too.

mrsmopp Sat 06-Jul-19 00:30:19

Today's match was unforgettable. Having watched her previous matches, I was upset when she lost several games in succession and was convinced she was on her way out. For her to drag herself from match point against her shows great courage and maturity beyond her 15 years of age.
I hope she wins. She is brilliant. Go Coco!!

loopyloo Sat 06-Jul-19 09:01:03

Agree with annoyance that BBC is taken over with the tennis. Wish it was only on Sky.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jul-19 09:12:54

loopyloo not everybody has Sky but I think it should only be on one channel and not take over everything although I do enjoy watching it. I am aware that not everybody has my level of interest.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Jul-19 10:03:37

It doesn’t really need to be on two channels IMO, and I love tennis.
We have a red button so we can choose which match we watch.
I think that the players aren’t encouraged to grunt or scream quite so much these days so hopefully it will get better.
Harking back to the TV licence? it costs us as much for a year of television as it would for me to go to Wimbledon for a day. I don’t have Sky.
We do get an overload at this time of year but when you add up the coverage that football gets all year is it really so dreadful?

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jul-19 10:09:48

Pamelaj1 I do not have a red button so I am reliant on the 2 channels.

mrsmopp Sat 06-Jul-19 11:28:52

Looking again at this match it has struck me how unfair the lawn tennis scoring system.
Final scores were 3-6. 7-6 and 7-5. So each player won 17 games, didn't they?
Maybe the system should be more fair.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Jul-19 14:33:30

Sorry about that Charlygirl.
My mother didn’t either until this week. She is a real tennis fan and loves this time of year.
Unfortunately it’s also a time that family things happen.
This year the bridge club she goes to has arranged a Wimbledon afternoon tea next Saturday???. Without asking her , her partner said they would be there!!! ( there will not be a TV there.
She’s had enough.

Floradora9 Sun 07-Jul-19 14:50:21

I love the fact that Any Murray is smiling so much . I really admire his determination to get back to the sport he loves .

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Jul-19 16:30:59

I agree, he appears to be so much more relaxed. He is now pain free and it is less stressful doing doubles. He and Serena were really good- both fairly relaxed although both wanted to win. I did feel sorry for their opponents, first time on centre court and with that pair to play.

jackfowler Mon 29-Jul-19 13:49:21

i like all Tennis game match, my favorite series Wimbledon

MawBroonsback Mon 29-Jul-19 16:29:30

confusedconfused]
Been over for a couple of weeks.

korol Fri 18-Oct-19 22:20:00

Wimbledon gives good experience to players. For spectators, athletes show an example of endurance and attentiveness