Gransnet forums

Sport

Rugby

(23 Posts)
Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 08:01:22

Tinge of sadness watching this. My adored Mum, who died last year, would have been so excited about this match.

She grew up in Twickenham and used to go with her father.

She was quite poised as a rule, well turned out and polite. You know the type.

But get her in front of a rugby match and she turned manic.

So I am watching this for my Mum. I have a packet of After Eights ... her preferred Rugby snack ...and fingers crossed England will win.

LullyDully Sat 02-Nov-19 08:23:30

Yes, I know what you mean. Take care. Let's hope they win. ( for me it's when Wales play I have the memories.) Let's also hope their weather is less like a Bronte novel than here today.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Nov-19 08:35:47

I have everything crossed for an English win rugbyrugbyrugby

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 09:03:13

The tv is on and it’s almost kick off time! We have had breakfast and are on the second cuppa of the day.
Good luck England!?

Teetime Sat 02-Nov-19 09:31:01

I have settled DH in his armchair with his 3rd cup of tea of the day and tummy full of scrambled eggs on toast. I shall join him at half time with coffee and bikkies. Come on England!!!

Marmight Sat 02-Nov-19 09:31:43

My 3 girls used to watch the 6 nations with DH, he shouting for England and they for Scotland. The girls will all be watching today supporting England (one from Sydney) and wishing their Dad was there too. I’ve got one eye, half closed, on the telly, the other on GN. ?? Nervous stuff ......

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 09:55:55

England not playing very well....eeek! Nerves maybe but too many mistakes.They need to give themselves a severe talking to now it’s half time.

merlotgran Sat 02-Nov-19 10:18:38

It's not looking good. sad

Nanny27 Sat 02-Nov-19 10:34:14

No it's not. Less than 20 minutes left. Can they turn it around?

DanniRae Sat 02-Nov-19 10:50:46

My sport loving husband has just turned the rugby off in disgust! I am glad as he was driving me mad with his ranting and raving!!

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 10:55:31

grin perhaps he could come over here Danni and commiserate with my sports mad DH in his hour of need.
Fair play to SA, they did well ( but we lost, not through their magnificent play...because it wasn’t, but due to our side, who played poorly.)
I hardly dare say ‘ it’s only a game’ to DH though!

HootyMcOwlface Sat 02-Nov-19 10:58:53

We dared to hope, but it was never going our way was it. Shame. ?

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 11:02:37

Ah well ... not to worry as Mum would say. Let's have a sherry. That was her answer to most problems

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 11:04:17

My sport loving husband has just turned the rugby off in disgust! I am glad as he was driving me mad with his ranting and raving!!

Just spotted this, DanniRae! Sounds like my house. But it was me getting irate!

BlueSapphire Sat 02-Nov-19 11:31:32

Just about to drown my sorrows with a sherry....

Rufus2 Sat 02-Nov-19 12:42:46

Commiserations England! The best team won as usual. hmm
Is it true that the English team had planned to perform a Morris Dance in front of the Springboks during the game's preliminaries?
If so, they should have stuck to the plan. It would have scared them to death.! grin

ninathenana Sat 02-Nov-19 13:48:48

We turned off as soon as the final whistle went but DD texted me in disgust over the fact England players removed their medals before they had even left the stage.
I suppose it was a bit rude.
To be honest, I didn't expect us to win. Then again, most people didn't expect us to beat the All blacks.

DanniRae Sat 02-Nov-19 15:59:56

Sorry lemon but Mr R is out watching our local team - in the rain!!

Grannyknot Sat 02-Nov-19 18:34:24

South Africa did play magnificently! They had the game from the get go. Commiserations to the runners up, who have also played well in this tournament.

Personally, I am thrilled for Siya Kolisi, the South African captain who grew up in impoverished circumstances and lost his mother at 15. He and his wife have adopted his two younger siblings and also have two children of their own. He must be over the moon, and he will be more than lauded when he gets back home.

A well deserved win! flowers

Oopsminty Sat 02-Nov-19 18:45:56

Thank you LullyDully and 'cheers', BlueSapphire!

South Africa played well.

Maybe next time!

BlueBelle Sat 02-Nov-19 18:49:06

I felt that removing the medals was a churlish move at best and offensive at worst Not good and not what I would have expected from us

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Nov-19 18:50:52

Well done The Springboks!???.
Agree they were the best team on the day GrannyKnot

Pleased they scored a try and a did not just win with penalty kicks.

My little grandson must be a reincarnation of my father, he so wanted South Africa to win.grin

He, like his Great grandfather loves everything about Africa.
Especially the animals and music.
I have promised him a South African Rugby shirt for his December birthday.

Grannyknot Sat 02-Nov-19 19:21:52

Cherry they scored two tries! smile One by Mapimpi (who also had a hard life as a youngster, walking for miles to school and only made it to competitive rugby comparatively late, in his twenties) and another by Kolbe.

I had a little England supporter in the house today (my grandson is English) so we had tears when England lost! Oh dearie me, the stress is all too much smile I just made sure everyone was adequately fed and watered ... smile