Gransnet forums

Sport

Cricket

(16 Posts)
sodapop Tue 13-Apr-21 19:08:19

I read today that that thought is being given to 'modernising' cricket terms. Batsmen to be called batters and wickets called outs. Whatever next, its a national disgrace ??

ixion Tue 13-Apr-21 19:51:54

Am I correct in believing that one day cricket, with no cricket 'whites' was introduced to make the game more welcoming to a new, younger audience?
Likewise some men's tennis Grand Slams being reduced to three sets from five and tie-break points introduced to reduce the potential lengths of sets - again, all in the name of being more 'audience friendly' for those with reduced concentration spans?

B9exchange Tue 13-Apr-21 19:56:54

DH is apoplectic, he didn't like the introduction of 120 ball cricket and this is even less. It seems to me that you either love cricket or you hate it, and making matches shorter and less exciting isn't going to change that.

Callistemon Tue 13-Apr-21 20:05:00

DH is apoplectic

I'm not surprised!

I don't understand all the cricket terms although we played at school but if I was sufficiently interested I would make sure I knew all the vernacular.

Another instance of dumbing down to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Callistemon Tue 13-Apr-21 20:07:25

wickets called outs

I saw a teenage girl being interviewed on TV and she thought this was a good idea.

I thought she needed to grow up and learn words longer than one syllable.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Apr-21 20:28:20

Some of my earliest memories are watching cricket on the village green and going to County matches with my paternal grandpa.

Why change/fix something which isn’t broken?

grandmajet Tue 13-Apr-21 20:31:53

Totally ridiculous. Leave cricket alone, whatever next!
I don’t like cricket. I love it!

Septimia Tue 13-Apr-21 20:44:13

I think it's ridiculous, too.

And I don't like cricket, or even understand the scoring!

SueDonim Tue 13-Apr-21 20:47:02

It’s so patronising, isn’t it? It’s making the assumption that people are too thick to either understand or to learn what the terms mean.

grandmajet Tue 13-Apr-21 20:51:35

We’ll have to reinvent Bridge, very hard terminology. People can play Snap instead. And what about chess? Much too difficult.

Jaxjacky Tue 13-Apr-21 21:24:39

No ‘love’ in tennis in case it’s demeaning? good grief, who the sits about coming up with this utter garbage.

sodapop Tue 13-Apr-21 21:30:32

grin agree Callistemon good job run and bat are only three letter words.

Callistemon Tue 13-Apr-21 21:57:34

Crick-et is two though. Is that too diff-i-cult?

Autocorrect keeps changing that to crock-pot!

sodapop Wed 14-Apr-21 09:00:36

Subtle nuance there with just one letter change grin

fairfraise Wed 14-Apr-21 09:29:15

Crackpot idea indeed! I can't think of any commentators who would use these terms. I like watching cricket and been to a few games in the past few years.

fairfraise Wed 14-Apr-21 09:34:49

have been.