Gransnet forums

Sport

Fabulous tennis today

(107 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Fri 11-Jun-21 19:45:44

My bottom has been mostly glued to the sofa since early afternoon thanks to the two amazing semi finals at Roland Garros. What fabulous tennis.

Gwyneth Fri 11-Jun-21 22:50:51

Have been glued to the tennis. Both semi finals were brilliant superb tennis. Was hoping Rafa would win but it was not to be tonight.

jusnoneed Sat 12-Jun-21 08:26:15

Was so glad that they didn't stop it to enforce the France curfew time, that really spoilt the match a couple nights ago.
It was a good game, lets hope Tsitsipas doesn't get overawed by the occasion and plays like he did in the semi.

Puzzler61 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:47:57

It was a splendid battle of the most mighty!
Looking forward to the final at 2 pm tomorrow BST (15:00 hours French time).
I read it will be on ITV3 (not ITV4 where it has been for the last 2 weeks),
so for Grans who want to watch it on ITV channel - please check - don’t just take my word for it.

MayBee70 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:20:17

I hope Novak loses tomorrow. I really don’t like him on several levels. I find his whole attitude unpleasant.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 12-Jun-21 14:36:59

I’m with you there MayBee 70. I’d really love to see a Tsitsipas victory. You could see how much it meant to him in his press conference after the game.

Millie22 Sat 12-Jun-21 16:55:22

I'm with you too MayBee there's just something about him. I'm sure the crowd will be supporting Tsitipas so hope he wins.

tickingbird Sat 12-Jun-21 17:07:59

I’m almost ashamed to admit I was close to tears when Rafa lost. I’ve been a tennis nut since I was a child and he is my all time favourite player. It’s made much worse by the fact I really do not like Djokovic and wouldn’t have been so upset if it had been anyone else.

It was a fantastic match but dear Rafa looked tired towards the end, bless him. There’ll never be another like him.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 12-Jun-21 19:53:39

My feelings exactly about Rafa too tickingbird I was lucky enough to see him play just the once (a dream come true) but as I was watching last night I was thinking I so hope I will get another chance one day ?.
I was also in tears with Tsitsipas at his interview after his semi.

tickingbird Sat 12-Jun-21 20:14:18

I’d love to see Rafa play in person.

I do hope this isn’t his last chance to win another major and I’ll be rooting for Tsitsipas tomorrow but I fear ND will be too strong. Did you see Djokovic’s behaviour against Berretini the other night? It was appalling and I’ve no idea why he gets away with it. He’s unhinged.

NanKate Sat 12-Jun-21 20:24:08

Come on Tsitsipas don’t let ND win. Come back soon Rafa.

tickingbird Sun 13-Jun-21 14:19:33

All settled in for the Men’s final. Doesn’t seem right that Rafa isn’t there and I’m praying that ND gets his a* kicked.

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:45:11

I’m seated for the Match - let noone disturb me!
Tsistipas is starting well.
I’m just hoping for a stunning display of tennis (and preferably not Djokovic to win).

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:48:54

The sport needs fresh stars. We’ve been spoilt by having so many top class players at one time but they’re all in their mid to late thirties now.

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:10:55

I think it is Tsitsipas’s first Grand Slam final (age 22) and he is not overawed by Djokovic in the first set in Paris today.

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 15:14:14

Am I just perhaps an instinctive “underdog” supporter?
I find Djokovic smug and arrogant (probably neither, just his manner) as if he thinks he is unbeatable.
Time for a shake up at the top perhaps? ???

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:19:41

We have 2 much younger men poised to fill the “top guns’ boots” in Tsitsipas and Zverev.
It was a shame they were drawn to play each other and therefore knock one of them out.
They are the future starts of top Men’s tennis I think.

Millie22 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:22:24

Happy in the Millie house.

tickingbird Sun 13-Jun-21 15:24:48

MawB You are right about Djokovic. He is smug, arrogant and bad tempered.

Tsitsipas has taken the first set and played great tennis. Let’s hope he can carry on and win. He’s the future, along with several others and, although I live Rafa, it’s time for a change.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 13-Jun-21 15:37:19

Another one here who cannot stand Djokovic. I don’t even watch his matches unless his opponent is one of my favourites.
I agree it’s time for new younger ones to start taking the grand slam titles unless it’s against Rafa of course ?
I hope Tsitsipas can hang on to his lead ????

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 15:47:54

I do so prefer Men’s tennis.
The women’s game is always a bit “Pat a cake” in comparison- Venus Williams and Martina Navratilova excepted. Even when the men grunt, it doesn’t grate like the squeals of Sharapova and her like!

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:56:56

This match is better than I ever dared hope ?
Well done Stefanos Tsitsipas. Keep it up!

Grandmadinosaur Sun 13-Jun-21 15:57:08

I do too * Mawbe* . Didn’t mind it in the days of Martina, Stefi Graf,Chris Evert etc but Serena and Venus apart they all seem much of a clone of each other if am allowed to say do.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 13-Jun-21 15:59:18

Yes I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Bad news is DH will be home soon after watching the football. Thank goodness just having a cold just assemble it meal ?? it will be eaten in front of tv too

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 16:00:46

Ditto Grandmadinosaur ? ?

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 17:41:06

We’re both engrossed!