Gransnet forums

Sport

Cheering on the underdog

(16 Posts)
MawBe Fri 02-Jul-21 16:53:10

Is it me?
Or is it a particularly British thing?
(Unless it’s Andy Murray of course) I always find myself on the side of the newcomer/wild card/underdog, don’t you?
And listening to the crowd today at the Djokovič -Kudla match, I am not alone . There’s something very satisfying about championing David over Goliath.

Ilovecheese Fri 02-Jul-21 16:55:37

When Manchester hosted the Commonwealth games we went to watch one of the races and there was a single runner from St Kitts. he wasn't in the first flush of youth but he got the biggest cheer.

MawBe Fri 02-Jul-21 16:57:27

Perfect illustration!

MoorlandMooner Fri 02-Jul-21 16:58:00

I even 'will on' the underdog on Antiques Road Trip and immediately change sides if the underdog starts winning.

Riverwalk Fri 02-Jul-21 16:58:43

Yes - only in this country would Eddie the Eagle be a national treasure! grin

MerylStreep Fri 02-Jul-21 17:00:16

MawBe
Because we are nice kind people. Eddie the Eagle springs to mind.

Lucca Fri 02-Jul-21 17:04:39

As far as Wimbledon is concerned I like to see newcomers. I would even commit the ultimate sin (in most peoples eyes ) of supporting a challenger to (Mr Perfect) Federer !

kittylester Fri 02-Jul-21 17:26:59

Federer is too perfect so I always support the other player

Parsley3 Fri 02-Jul-21 17:48:26

I find myself cheering on whoever is playing Djokovic but it is not because I don’t like him I just want the other guy to win for a change. Is it only a British trait? Will one of our Grans who lives elsewhere please give us their take on this?

Lucca Fri 02-Jul-21 17:49:07

kittylester

Oh I thought I was the only one !

kittylester Fri 02-Jul-21 19:23:18

No, lucca, and I think the blazers are the giddy limit!

LauraNorder Fri 02-Jul-21 19:40:46

I love to watch Federer, he’s such a talented player. Also love to watch Nadal and Djokovic.
It’s great to see newcomers getting close to knocking them out but I have to support the skill and talent of the greats.
Soon those newcomers will be the greats and the others will just be good memories like Agassi, Borg, McEnroe and so many others.
I was brought up in Fiji and schooled in Australia up to 11+. University and early career back in Australia so perhaps I don’t get the British underdog thing although I consider myself British.
Dare I say I can’t abide Murray’s attitude. Super talent and a deserving winner but such a sulky puss.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 19:42:45

kittylester

Lucca and kittylester
Wash your mouths out with soap!

Although if it was Nadal -v- Federer I would support Rafa

Yes! Eddie the Eagle - he may have come last but he had to be good to get there in the first place.

Lucca Fri 02-Jul-21 20:25:45

Murray surely has to be on his way out?

Juliet27 Fri 02-Jul-21 20:30:49

Definitely with you MawBe and agree with your thoughts Lucca

FannyCornforth Fri 02-Jul-21 20:32:14

I've not RTFT (horrors!) but yes, always