Gransnet forums

Sport

Horse riding & fitness classes

(15 Posts)
Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 19:51:42

Hi
I am 58, became a granny at 41, I now have 4 grandchildren! I try to be active and get out. I’ve owned a horse for years, the mare I have atm is 20 (we’re going old together)! I still ride her, just take her around the lanes etc, on my own and in company! During lockdown I rode most days, it actually kept me sane. We also have a school to ride in, but I find that boring.
I go to a class twice a week, only just got back into exercise classes due to the lockdown! Anyone else similar to me! Ps I need to lose some lockdown weight, my poor horse ?

grannyrebel7 Wed 28-Jul-21 20:19:42

You are so lucky to own a horse. They are such lovely creatures. I used to ride as a kid and loved it. 10 yrs ago DH & I had a holiday on a ranch in Texas which was great. Haven't riden since though. I don't do any fitness classes, but walk a lot. Keep saying I'm gonna start Pilates again but never seem to get around to it!

Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 20:27:06

grannyrebel7

You are so lucky to own a horse. They are such lovely creatures. I used to ride as a kid and loved it. 10 yrs ago DH & I had a holiday on a ranch in Texas which was great. Haven't riden since though. I don't do any fitness classes, but walk a lot. Keep saying I'm gonna start Pilates again but never seem to get around to it!

Yes I’m very lucky to have my horse, hard but rewarding work. Love riding out on the country lanes, clip clop, heavenly! Maybe you could try a few Pilates classes on YouTube, give it a go

Shelflife Wed 28-Jul-21 20:30:49

I swim and attend an aqua fitness class . I am early 70s and am attending my first ever spinning class tomorrow. I am beginning to regret my decision already!!!! Think it might be too much for me. Any advice please .

Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 20:51:47

I like aqua, unfortunately only one class a week at my club, impossible to book on! I did spin weekly before lockdown, just go to your pace, don’t overdo it, warm up slowly, take small breaks to a slow spin if your struggling! I won’t lie, spin is very active! Make sure your bike to set to your height etc, they are adjustable, ask for help from the instructor, enjoy ?

Shelflife Wed 28-Jul-21 20:57:02

Thankyou Annie , will arrive in good time to ensure bike is correct height for me. I am feeling a bit nervous !!!

foxie48 Wed 28-Jul-21 21:24:30

I'm 72 and still riding. My horse is rehabbing from an injury ATM but a friend is kindly letting me ride her lovely mare. I do pilates to try to keep supple and I find walking the dog also keeps me reasonably fit. Hopefully my mare will start work again in a couple of weeks time and we can get fitter together. I can't wait to get going again with her. We hack and do dressage but the pic is of us showing just before the first lockdown which is something I'd not tried before.

Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 22:00:58

Your horse is stunning, speedy recovery! Dressage as well! I bet you enjoyed the challenge, it’s best to keep active, your proof of that. I plan to ride forever, enjoy the outdoors, winter is hard, but it’s nice to wrap up and get out, my mare is a cob, I did have weekly lessons but much prefer hacking out, she very forward going on a hack! Happy horse riding

Juliet27 Wed 28-Jul-21 22:05:29

Just been watching the Olympics dressage. As always it just chokes me up to see those beautiful animals and what they’re capable of. Pumpkin will go far bless him.

Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 22:16:54

Yes it’s so beautiful to watch, I would love to ride a horse like that! My mare is a cob, so I got zero chance!

Katie59 Thu 29-Jul-21 09:02:34

I used to ride a lot, loved it but after a minor fall 5 yrs ago which broke my wrist and took 6 months to mend, decided to give up on the basis that I don’t bounce like I use to do. Accident rate horse riding is very high, less risky ways of keeping fit.

foxie48 Thu 29-Jul-21 09:41:15

Thank you Annie1962 Sadly after several months of box rest she's lost muscle and is looking tubby but I just want her to be sound and back in work. My previous horse, whom I thought would be my last horse had colic and I lost him. Rose was bought just before my 70th whilst I was still totally devastated and in shock! She's talented and very pretty but just a bit tricky so I am not looking forward to bringing her back into work as I think there will be lots of fireworks! Thankfully I have a young friend who will help me. Like you, I intend to ride forever. Pic is of my previous boy, I still miss him, he was adorable, such a kind happy chappie! Do post a pic too.

Shelflife Thu 29-Jul-21 11:38:39

Hi Annie , just thought I would let you know that I followed your spinning advice this morning. I did enjoy the class , worked at a low level and clocked up 8 miles. Not bad for first time I hope. Will be there next week and will doubt build my stamina up as the weeks go by.

Annie1962 Thu 29-Jul-21 14:18:45

Shelflife

Hi Annie , just thought I would let you know that I followed your spinning advice this morning. I did enjoy the class , worked at a low level and clocked up 8 miles. Not bad for first time I hope. Will be there next week and will doubt build my stamina up as the weeks go by.

Fab, glad you enjoyed it, and pleased my advice helped!

Annie1962 Thu 29-Jul-21 22:12:30

foxie48

Thank you Annie1962 Sadly after several months of box rest she's lost muscle and is looking tubby but I just want her to be sound and back in work. My previous horse, whom I thought would be my last horse had colic and I lost him. Rose was bought just before my 70th whilst I was still totally devastated and in shock! She's talented and very pretty but just a bit tricky so I am not looking forward to bringing her back into work as I think there will be lots of fireworks! Thankfully I have a young friend who will help me. Like you, I intend to ride forever. Pic is of my previous boy, I still miss him, he was adorable, such a kind happy chappie! Do post a pic too.

Must have be awful to lose your boy to colic, you can never replace them, leave a big hole in your heart x your new ones sounds a keen one! Fireworks ? fingers crossed for you! Nice to have someone who’s willing to help you grin