Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What is up with M & S?

(337 Posts)
susiecb Sat 06-Aug-11 09:47:39

I despair! I have carried on with M & S through thick and thin, loved it when per Una and Autograph Weekend came to town but recently forays have left me purchasless. Have their designers and buyers all got terminal depression? The colours are dire, the styles difficult to wear and repetitious - how many Per Una funny buttoned cardigans can they turn out and where have the nice skirts gone? In one of their larger stores this week just outside Leicester I tried to buy nice linen trousers and tops for a holiday. The linen trousers were very cheap admittedly but my dish cloth has more style and wearability- as for tops if I was taking up a job in an undertakers they might just suit. As for lingerie the choices were lurid spotty things with those aweful Brazilian shorts instead of knickers or those sponge cup things you could bake a Yorkshire in. If you dont wear pyjamas but nighties like I do (pj's ride up in the night) then its a nice floral wyncyette type; and what has happened to the Knitwear - can noboldy finish a sleeve - does everything chunky have to end half way up my bicep and forget the cashmere - too pricey and difficult to wash. M & S used to be famous for its knitwear - what happened? End of rant. Is it me?

Hunt Thu 28-Feb-13 23:30:02

No.

JessM Thu 28-Feb-13 18:19:54

I have a very old bra. It is the most comfy one I ever had. Bought it one Sunday in Texas in 2001. Is this a record?

Ariadne Thu 28-Feb-13 17:35:19

lilybet the bras have changed; the material is scratchy and poor quality and the sizes are variable. No more for me, either!

lilybet Thu 28-Feb-13 17:32:01

Used to go once a year and get new Bras. Those days are gone. They have the same Bra but it no longer fits no matter what size I try. When you tell the assistant they look at you like your on day release from some "care in the community" I even waved the bra I was wearing at them(bet that's why they looked strange) but its the same bra. Oh no Madame it has changed. Well so have I no longer will I visit the dreaded department again

Deedaa Tue 29-Jan-13 21:50:56

Hope still springing eternal I picked up a rather attractive Per Una top (a miracle in itself these days!). To be on the safe side I tried it on. Just as well because it looked very nice, the colour was right, but the sleeves were cutting off my circulation! When did size 16 women grow Biba type matchstick arms? You'd think that a company that makes most of its money from clothes would be able to get the sizes right!

Deedaa Thu 20-Dec-12 22:55:40

You see that's the trouble JessM with what I've got to put inside them Style wouldn't come into it. Pregnant women would avoid me for fear of marking the child. grin

JessM Thu 20-Dec-12 17:38:56

Depends on what you put inside them deeda
And what you put them with
www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-W2012/269187/1117155/LEGGINGS%20WITH%20ZIP%20POCKETS

Ariadne Thu 20-Dec-12 17:22:39

deedaa grin

Deedaa Thu 20-Dec-12 17:21:24

Isn't stylish leggings an oxymoron, or is that just me? smile

JessM Thu 20-Dec-12 07:18:07

Yes I recently bought some lovely stylish leggings in Zara. They have an elasticated top that smooths out bulgy middle and pretend zips. M and S have a very sad unstylish version. No zips, less elastic. hmm
(I noticed the other day when picking up slippers for MIL. I rest my case.)

Deedaa Wed 19-Dec-12 23:44:47

Suddenly I love M&S again! I've just discovered that they are selling Fragonard perfumes. I've loved the original Fragonard scent since we did a tour of the factory in Grasse and to be able to buy it in my local M&S is great. Now, if they could just do something about the clothes..............

stardust Sat 15-Dec-12 18:06:08

If you want party clothes that are good value try M&Co. www.mandco.com. I recently saw a beautiful little black dress with sleeves and some really good tops with a little glamour. I'm a granny and proud of it. I don't want to look like a teenager, but I don't want to look like a frump either. Have a look at their site!

annodomini Thu 13-Dec-12 16:35:25

I once had some like that from BHS, but haven't looked recently.

supernanauna Thu 13-Dec-12 13:51:06

Worth a try, I suppose - thanks Nonu! I'll have a look on their website.

Nonu Thu 13-Dec-12 13:46:47

Bon Marche ?? smile

supernanauna Thu 13-Dec-12 13:28:38

About M&S - I have several old pairs of M&S Classic jeans - the type with about 3 inches of elastic either side of the waist. Having a big waist but thin legs, these gave me a perfect fit. But it seems they don't sell them any more. Does anybody know of any other store where I might get them please? I'm desperate!

kittylester Sat 01-Dec-12 16:48:49

granjura I worked there!! Not for very long, luckily, as I spent nearly as much in the shop as I earned. DH's brother worked there 'learning to die/dye' as he put it! I met DH at Corah's Christmas party as he had been smuggled in by his brother. Our first dance was the Gay Gordons grin

M&S was Corah's downfall as they insisted on Corah's making only for M&S and then moving manufacturing somewhere else at a moment's notice leaving Corah's with no work at all! M&S's quality was so good in those days!

DH's father was a director of another hosiery/knitwear company in Leicester called Poole, Lorrimer and Taberer on King Street.

Sorry for the digression. smile

annodomini Sat 01-Dec-12 16:43:10

Yes, granjura, I do! I visited that factory shop and on Hinckley market there was a stall full of Corah's seconds, at a fraction of the M&S price. An underwear company had a factory shop just down the road from our house. So convenient for knickers!

granjura Sat 01-Dec-12 16:28:48

For those in the Leicester area, do you remember the great days when all M&S clothes were made by Corah's in the town centre - and the great factory shop there?

crimson Sat 01-Dec-12 09:47:41

They're doing very well in France I believe now they've been allowed back. I'd love to know what they're selling in their shop on the Champs Elysee's [unless that's just for food; it hadn't opened when I was there].

absentgrana Sat 01-Dec-12 09:44:30

I occasionally buy knickers and pyjamas at M & S. I never look at the rest of the clothes as I have always regarded them as being for old women. wink

JessM Sat 01-Dec-12 09:41:21

We are getting a third M and S here.
Big full page ads in the local free papers. They all feature:
Twiggy (hasn't anyone bought her yet) in a dark forest green top. A kind of ribbed rugby top with a dropped hemline at the back (like the ones that were fashionable last year - or has the cycling bum fashion been revived by Saints Wiggins and Pendleton) I cannot find this item on their website.
Am completely bemused by this advert.

jO5 Wed 28-Nov-12 14:46:56

That's fine Glass. Thanks again.

I'm not going in there again. Or at least wear blinkers through the women's wear bit. It can get ridiculous! grin

(and they'll probably take half of it back.) hmm

glassortwo Wed 28-Nov-12 14:39:46

Jingle I have not forgotten you I am waiting for SIL getting back in touch she is terrible for answering texts/phone/emails, I sent another this morning, I will let you know asap about the pillow.
I am not going into M&S to look at the Christmas things as I know it will cost me, so best stay away grin

jO5 Wed 28-Nov-12 14:35:16

I think they have turned up trumps for Xmas. Got far too much lovely stuff!