I just buy the cheapest hair gel that the supermarket has when I need some. I can't justify buying the expensive stuff. I wash my hair every day and use gel when I want it spiky.
Electric egg maker for poached eggs - convince me?
I've spent years growing my hair into a short bob. Went to the hairdresser on Saturday for my usual round the edges trim and the hairdresser layered it a bit. I thought she was snipping away a lot but didn't like to say anything. It isn't a disaster and will grow out in a couple of months but I was surprised I didn't speak up. How depressing to still be intimidated by a hairdresser in my late 60s.
I just buy the cheapest hair gel that the supermarket has when I need some. I can't justify buying the expensive stuff. I wash my hair every day and use gel when I want it spiky.
Great update Falconbird. I've had the same hair dresser for 28 years and fear his retirement. I'm becoming very set in my ways, same hairdresser, GP surgery, RA consultant, dentist, dog trainer - the list goes on. I even return to the same Greek village most years 
I wouldn't mind trying the 'tousle it up and put a bit of gel on it' type of hairstyle, Coolgran. What type of gel do you use?
I know how you feel happened to me twice at the same hairdresser. Now desperate to find a new one.
'Getting home and re doing it' ... Ariadne after the shampoo and cut why not ask to blow dry it yourself? More and more people do that these days.
I have hairdresser now and she and her colleagues are superb - I love my hair! It is very "good" hair, though, quite thick and does as it is told. But they listen, which I think is often the issue, and ask too.
In the past, hairdressers have given me beautiful hairdos, but not ones that looked good on ME. So I have been through the getting home and re doing it bit.
I think that all women have had bad hair cuts or colour and don't say anything to the hairdresser, but we really should do.
My present hairdresser is very good and I hardly have to say anything, but if she is not sure about something, then she checks with me first.I have usually been happy with my hair over the years, it's fine but thick and shiny and is easy in a layered bob. I just have blonde highlights put in now and again.

Well guess what?
Now that my hair has calmed down after being cut - the hairdresser may have been right.
It looks better than it has for awhile. Maybe some hairdressers do know best. It looks smarter and has more of a style to it. 
I caught sight of myself in a loo mirror at the local supermarket and thought "looks good."
Thanks GA I'll read that now.
Blog here: www.gransnet.com/blogs/female-hair-loss
Anya - Thank you. I actually have beautiful thick hair, it's just not growing out of my head! I have a hair system. There is a blog called
Female Hair Loss on here. It's becoming quite a problem according to the clinic I attend. Anyway, back to hairdressers......
They speak a special language that I have never learned to decode. Probably not going to now.
I have a newish one, called Bailey (I kid you not) who is about 18 and uses a word I do understand: perimeter 
KatyK sorry about your hair. I haven't seen anything about it before on GN, but there are days when I'm hardly on here at all so must have missed that.
Tegan yes I think my hairdresser was being kind she was concentrating very hard when she was doing the trim.
I'm going to grow out the few layers she's put in and try to be more assertive next time. I have a lot of hair where it hasn't thinned and try to make the most of that.
The only plus point is that my hair is a nice shade of grey and quite a few people have commented on that. 
It's strange hair in that if it's too short it curls but below ear lobe level it goes straight.
I now speak up at the hairdresser..... especially convincing her to thin it a bit more at the back of the ears.
If she dries and gets that brush turning, I fix it when I get home giving it a tweek or two to rough it up. Often I ask her to just rough tousle it, a bit of gel, and I'm ready to go.
And it actually is fine, and really is good to go.
If hairdresser has dried it with brushes it's hard to tell if it's just right until you've washed it yourself. Mine is happy for me to drop in without notice and have her do an 'adjustment'. Thin a bit here or there.... make my fringe a little more angular etc. etc.
My hair frizzes unless it is blow dried, which I also dislike because the hairdresser tugs at it.
At home I have a hot air brush that turns round. It's a great invention! x
I like my hair very short, having a small round face! My hairdresser never cuts it short enough. I have only just managed to ask her to cut a bit more off recently. If she thinks it is not appropriate she tells me the reason. It is great to have found a hairdresser I can actually talk to.
Falconbird; just a thought but I wonder if your hairdresser felt that the cut she gave you suited you better and disguised the fact that your hair was thinning? I'm only saying that because, when I tried on several wigs it was only by looking at the photos I'd taken of myself wearing them that made me realise that the shortest one suited me far more than the chin length one that I'd planned to buy.
Thank you nottooold. I have harped on about it many times on Gransnet (there is a blog on it) - Falconbird, - sorry to hijack your thread. I'm sorry you are not happy with your latest visit to the hairdresser and I hope it grows out quickly for you.
Falcon; Hothair do pieces that just attach to the crown of the head [also fringes that do the same]. I can't use them because my hair is so thin and fine that I can't afford to lose the tiny amount of hair that comes out when you unclip them. Bouffe spray really does thicken the hair at the roots [although it tends to make my scalp itch]. But I have just bought a short bob wig; haven't had the courage to wear it yet though. It's so short that, instead of feeling that I'm wearing hair I feel as if I'm putting on a hat. It doesn't help that I have a very high forehead so need a fringe, but my fringe is so thin you can hardly see it. I'd be better off using the fringe hair to cover my crown. My mum also had the same; she put it down to having lots of perms
.
katyk My hair is thinning on the top and I hate going to the hairdresser because I think everyone is looking at my hair loss.
It started after I had a lot of cap highlights in my fifties but it may be hereditary because my mum had the same problem.
Sorry to hear you have lost your hair, KatyK. However, as you say, at least you have no more worries about going to the hairdresser.
I've only recently discovered that you can have your hair rough-dried after a cut/colour (ie a quick blast with the hairdryer), so that's what I do in the winter. In the summer I just go out wet. I hate all that blow drying nonsense and then I just go home and wash it and do it my way.
The other thing I hate is that Indian head massage type thing they do after they have washed it. I keep telling myself to say 'don't so that' but so far I have not had the nerve.
I've had the same woman cut mine for the past 10-15 yrs. I never have it blow dried at the salon because my hair is so fine and thin it's dry by the time she's finished cutting.
When I blow dry and use products at home it looks great for about half an hour then just falls flat.
I have had many terrible hair experiences over the years. I always said 'yes it's lovely thank you'
then went home and cried.
No such worries now as my hair has all gone 
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.