Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How much of your wardrobe do you actually wear?

(21 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Jan-16 22:35:45

I have 2 double wardrobes, a pull out trouser Rack ( I use for jeans) and several drawers.
All full!
My life at present which for most part involves looking after 2 small GS , requires sturdy warm clothes.
Jeans T shirts and a fleece seem to fit the bill
In spring/summer the fleece may come off
The rest of the clothes just hang forlornly awaiting that special time that they. may be worn for just a few hours (after they have been hauled out of the wardrobe and tried on several times before being discarded for being too tight,too short,too long or just plain Wrong)
And as for jewellery. Well who can wear anything that remotely dangles with a 1yr old in tow!

I read some where that we only wear a third of the clothes in our wardrobe

Tegan Fri 15-Jan-16 22:56:19

None of it. Because anything that I do actually wear never seems to make it back to the wardrobe....this is the airing cupboard door at the top of the stairs where most things end up. I have two huge wardrobes full of clothes that never see the light of day....

Anniebach Fri 15-Jan-16 23:24:25

I have one wardrobe which holds what I need, so wearing only a third would mean I would be starkers some days

Alea Fri 15-Jan-16 23:42:14

Why do we have 2 threads on this topic??

Nelliemoser Fri 15-Jan-16 23:47:41

Oh dear having read the title I now have this mental image of GNers walking down a street carrying wooden wardrobes on their backs.

My mind will keep going off at tangents. I have a problem when I see a sign saying something like "Disabled Toilet". (Well call out the plumber then!)

Off to bed.

Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Jan-16 23:57:52

grin now I've got odd images in my head nellie. In my defence it Must be the late hour when I posted
I'm not sure why post came up twice !

Dara Sat 02-Apr-16 16:35:30

I have got rid of a lot but lots remain!

lynnie1 Sat 02-Apr-16 16:49:00

If I find I'm not wearing something, it goes to the charity shop. I only keep what I actually wear. I like to do the same with my husband' s wardrobe too, although he isn't as enthusiast as I am parting with things...

Teetime Sat 02-Apr-16 17:08:17

I wear it all - if a thing hasn't been worn for more than two years it goes in the charity bag - unless its decidedly evening as I rarely go to evening do's and those things don't alter that much if you stick to classics which I do.

mollie Sat 02-Apr-16 17:14:06

I've just had a throw-out so I can say that I actually wear all of it. It's all well worn and classed as casual and comfy. I never have need for formal or occasion wear so it's not on the hangers...

pompa Sat 02-Apr-16 17:20:54

About 5% -- the rest is Mrs P's hmm

Ana Sat 02-Apr-16 17:26:47

grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:23:06

I had hoped when started this thread,
I would have decluttered my wardrobe. But not as yetblush.

However I do have more room now....
DH Retired last thursday and all his shirts have gone to charity shop!

rosesarered Sat 02-Apr-16 21:35:34

I had a clear out of the wardrobes this Winter, for myself I kept about 75% and for DH kept about 90% the rest went to a charity shop.

J52 Sat 02-Apr-16 22:02:49

I have just had a huge clear out ready for moving. Most of my clothes are packed away and I have survived for a week on a very small range of trousers and tops.

This could be all I ever need! But extreme cold or hot weather would be difficult and I've no smart going out clothes.

Oh well, I'll just eventually have to unpack the rest!

x

Deedaa Sun 03-Apr-16 15:58:03

I'm really going to be firm this summer and stick with the things I actually wear instead of hanging on to things that might work "one day".

f77ms Sun 03-Apr-16 16:13:00

I have just had a clear out and anything that hasn`t been worn for 2 years has gone to the charity shop I work in . I have sorted into winter and summer and have noticed that so many summer things are white , about 10 white or cream tops which look very similar ! I wear those jazzy loose fit pants a lot so white or cream goes with any colour pants . In winter it is leggings (black or navy) and big chunky cardis mainly so very boringly casual .
I just sold my maxi dress from the 60`s on Ebay and while listing it I had to measure the waist 22" and 33 hips , I cannot believe I ever got into it as I have always felt fat even in those days . Twiggy has something to answer for !

Envious Sun 03-Apr-16 17:01:37

I need to have a clear out but I find it gets very tiring trying on trouser after trouser to see if they fit...and then I also suffer from I might wear it someday syndrome and I paid too much for it to get rid of it. Trying on lots of clothes brings on body aches and pains also! confused

M0nica Mon 04-Apr-16 00:35:38

I wear most of the clothes in my (one) wardrobe and (one) chest of drawers. I wear them until they are worn out or outdated, dispose of them and replace them.

I really could not cope with having lots of clothes . I would worry that I had wasted money by buying things I wasn't wearing. Most of all the thought of waking up in the morning knowing thatIi had to choose what clothes to wear from 10s if not 100s of possible outfits, would quickly reduce me to a nervous wreck.

felice Mon 04-Apr-16 11:25:15

After a friend commented quite loudly in Church one Sunday that it was nice to see me wearing something that really suited me,shock I have had a long hard look at what I was regularily wearing, same old, same old.
Re-organised the wardrobe and went to C&A with DD.

SO actually admired a jacket I was wearing on Saturday, I reminded him he had bought it, he said yes he knew 8 years ago where had I hidden it, ouch.

Definately time for a make-over.

textureonline Thu 09-Nov-17 00:14:05

Please visit our website www.texture-clothing.com to see quirky lagenlook style