Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shampoo and Set anyone?

(38 Posts)
JessM Sun 24-Jul-16 09:37:42

Not surprisingly this hair salon standard is dying out. It's a generation thing I suppose. I'm in my 60s and shampoo and set was something the older generation had when I was a child. The end of an era. My MIL used to have one every week, until she reached point where she couldn't get to the hairdressers. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36854809

HeyTheree Tue 19-Nov-19 14:37:03

"Shampoo and set" thing is still popular nowadays. I keep seeing articles like this one on various sites. People claim that this method is far safer compared to heating styling tools like curling irons. Besides you can use rollers every day without harming your hair with heat.

Ginny42 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:03:16

I noticed in an American programme that they called a 'blow dry' a 'blow out'. Here of course you would have a serious problem with your vehicle if you had a blow out.

I have always liked to be able to run my fingers through my hair, so no tight set styles for me. I have used the same salon for years and the staff have regular training sessions and the latest equipment and products.

I can only remember hairdressers blow drying mine. I do wonder if their arms ache from holding the dryer all that time for client after client.

pinknet Tue 13-Feb-18 08:03:00

I am a 48 year old male with longer hair and for me I actually find a shampoo and set very relaxing, a visit to the salon along with 40 minutes or so under the dryer with my hair in rollers allows me a chance to escape from the every day pressures of life and just escape from reality.
Unfortunately most people on this thread have pre conceived ideas of a shampoo and set due to the 60s Styles associated with them , but infact a shampoo and set can infact be anything you want it to be depending on your roller placement and comb out procedures . I urge people to actually try a shampoo and set before criticising the style.

Gracesgran Tue 02-Aug-16 16:41:59

Partly not particularly -sorry

FarNorth Tue 02-Aug-16 08:03:35

I know one or two ladies who have a 'set'. It suits them and is a look they like. I'd think they'd be as unhappy with another style as I would be to get a perm.
etheltbags1 are you serious? Get over yourself and enjoy your mother's company.

Gracesgran Tue 02-Aug-16 07:52:01

My village hairdresser still does shampoo and sets and my mother (95) has once a week from a mobile hairdresser; she could not wash her own hair. My daughter's hairdresser has no hooded hairdryer, mine has one or two mobile ones - not in evidence from the window and the one we have used for mum when her hairdresser is away has a bank of four which can be seen from outside. It must be particularly about choosing your market or what market or available.

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 23:13:13

No, I expect your mother will only change it if she wants to do so herself! grin
You could show her some pictures of older women with more fashionable styles - tell her how easy Judi Dench's hairstyle must be to look after wink

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 23:11:05

ethel!!
my DM had hers done in the same style as long as I could remember; when I started doing it for her in her much later years I could have shut my eyes and still put the rollers in correctly!
(the same style as HM the Queen)

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:10:59

my mother embarrasses me with her 'set' type of hair but she wont change it for me. I hate to go out with her for that reason.

Leticia Tue 26-Jul-16 18:18:07

Thinking about this thread I made a point of looking through all hairdresser windows in town this morning. I found 4 plus my own and not a single hood drier to be seen.
I suspect that many elderly people are like my mother and need a good cut every 5/6 weeks so that they can wash it in the shower every few days and just comb it into place. Younger people do similar- a lot wash it daily.
Life has changed.

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jul-16 09:08:27

I see many ladies of older years who now just have their hair cut short,it looks quite smart. I've thought of this as well as the scraped back look.

Deedaa Mon 25-Jul-16 21:34:12

I think this time I'm going to get the barber who comes and cuts DH's hair to do mine. He told me he is trained in ladies' hair as well and I think I'd find it easier to get him to do it how I want.

Harris27 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:56:38

I had to laugh at this thread have been looking for home hairdresser for elderly am in law and couldn't get one for her that did wash and set tried about ten and all said no. Eventually got lay that does it but costly!

Leticia Mon 25-Jul-16 19:11:18

Actually, having given it some thought, my mother's local hairdressers has one drier so some must still have it. I would imagine that many my mother's age are like her and have a hairdresser come to the house and then it has to be a hand dryer.

Leticia Mon 25-Jul-16 19:07:11

I will have a look but they certainly have no driers in mine. I also have young hairdressers who are excellent. I am not sure where all these 'older ladies' are- my mother at 93 has a wash and blow dry, as do her friends. I am in my 60s and can't think of anyone my age who would have a shampoo and set.

ginny Mon 25-Jul-16 11:43:38

My hairdresser has just one drier for Shampoo and set ladies but says they only do a few nowadays. I certainly don't know any one of my age or younger that still has one.

Mother in law has her S & s every week and has it coloured too. She is 85 and says she doesn't want people to think she is old. She is totally baffled as to why at 62 I am happy to have my natural greying hair colour.

JessM Mon 25-Jul-16 09:13:22

Maybe it's a good look if your hair is getting a bit thin?
Vivienne Westwood embraced it at one stage. But then she has done most things with her hair e.g. long and messy and dyed orange, shaved to a white stubble etc

petra Mon 25-Jul-16 08:44:08

leticia Those hairdressers who still do shampoo and set know far more about hair than many younger hairdressers.

mumofmadboys Mon 25-Jul-16 07:19:32

I don't know where you live Leticia but look around you. There are plenty of shampoo and set older ladies!

ninathenana Mon 25-Jul-16 01:06:11

Agreed gettingonabit My usual salon is unisex and you will often see a twenty something guy sitting next to a "shampoo and set" client.

gettingonabit Sun 24-Jul-16 22:58:52

Why not, leticia? It doesn't mean the stylist is out of touch, necessarily. My stylist is brilliant-best I've ever had-and cheap too. Her core business is shampoo and set, though.

Leticia Sun 24-Jul-16 22:15:19

If I saw a hairdressers with curlers and hoods there is no way that I would even go through the door.

Leticia Sun 24-Jul-16 22:13:30

I thought they had died out years ago. I don't know any salons that do them- or who would want them. My mother is over 90yrs and has a wash and blow dry for at least 40years.

gettingonabit Sun 24-Jul-16 22:01:18

The salon I go to still mainly deals in shampoos and sets. (I don't have one myself, btw..)

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 21:31:25

I have a horror of having an 'old lady style' even though I am probably in that category!!
However, my hair seems to be getting more and more curly, wild when it is longer and looking 'permed' when it is short, however much I try to blow-dry it straight. The hairdresser can blow-dry it straight but if it's damp outside it's a waste of time!
It's not grey yet though .....

DM never washed her own hair as far as I remember - she went to the hairdresser's every week for a shampoo and set, and when she was unable to go out either sister-in-law or I used to shampoo and set it in rollers.