Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Fine straight hair

(8 Posts)
Marian1412 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:55:16

After I have finished styling my hair with a hot brush I need something to tame flyaways and add shine. Any ideas? So many products out there it is overwhelming.

M0nica Wed 29-Mar-17 13:47:08

I use argan oil. I get mine from Waitrose but any chemist or like will have an equivalent product.

kittylester Wed 29-Mar-17 13:53:59

I have very fine and very straight hair which is the bane of my life. I recently had a treatment called Olaplex done by my hairdresser and I have been amazed at the difference it has made. It has, so far lasted about 8 weeks. I also use a thickening shampoo and conditioner.

I sound like an advert don't I - I have no connection with the company but might buy shares if it continues to be so impressive. grin

Badenkate Wed 29-Mar-17 16:01:48

One more thing to be grateful to the menopause for! Before it I had fine but abundant straight hair but now it's just as abundant but I've now got a lovely wave in it. No help to you I know - but some years ago younger DS played the part of a soldier in a stage play and had his hair practically shaved off. It grew back much thicker with lots of body. So that's always a possibility.... ?

janeainsworth Wed 29-Mar-17 16:51:40

I like argan oil too.
I sometimes use a styling wax when hair seems finer than usual - just a very small amount rubbed between your hands and then run your fingers through your hair & plump hair up a bit.

Charleygirl Wed 29-Mar-17 20:59:01

I am like Badenkate- my hair is no longer very straight although it remains very thick and fine. It also no longer needs to be washed every second day so there are some merits in being post menopausal.

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-17 07:39:48

I am interested to read about posters whose hair has got wavier as they have got older. Mine remains, in my 70s, as dead straight as ever.

The only time my hair has curled (except for when my mother tried unsuccessfully to coax it into ringlets as a child) was when I got very severe eczema in my hair. The hair on the top of my head where the the eczema was particularly bad became exceedingly curly (I have short hair). I thought I looked rather like those pictures of Queen Alexandra, with tight curls on top and smooth and close to the head round the sides. DH said I looked like a coconut, as the affected hair had faded on colour, short red rough red hair on top, surrounded by straight smooth dark hair.

Thankfully when the eczema cleared, my hair grew back straight and dark.

Badenkate Sat 01-Apr-17 08:35:34

I'm actually rather pleased with it now M0nica. It always used to hang down but now there's a bit of form there and I can just wash it and leave it and it has some structure. Talking to my hairdresser, he says that it's not uncommon for hair to change after the menopause. I do remember that pregnancy had an effect on my hair as well.