Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

swimwear

(9 Posts)
maddy629 Tue 30-May-17 07:15:02

I feel that at 72 years of age and overweight I'm too old to wear a swimsuit on holiday this year. Does anyone here have any alternative ideas.

Riverwalk Tue 30-May-17 07:37:00

If you're intending to swim then you'll have to wear a swimsuit of some sorts! If you're self-conscious you can then cover this with a beach dress or kaftan so that you can sit around and enjoy the sun.

Auntieflo Tue 30-May-17 08:29:48

Maddy, if you google, "swim dress", you might find something you like. There are some pretty alternatives to a conventional swimsuit.

shysal Tue 30-May-17 09:48:03

I wear boyleg swimsuits, and you can also find skirtinis and swimdresses on Ebay, which all cover more than a standard costume. You can also wear a sarong to the water's edge.
I hope you find something that you are happy with. Mind you, on holiday you will always see far worse bodies than your own and nobody but you will be bothered! As my mother used to say 'nobody knows me'.

Atqui Tue 30-May-17 10:40:06

I know how you feel Maddy. I haven't worn a swimsuit for anything other than to actually enter the water for several years. When I do wear one I make sure it has bra type support ( from bravissimo or figleaves) and cover up with a thin kaftan type tunic .

DanniRae Tue 30-May-17 10:54:07

I am 69 (by time I go on holiday) and a size 18. We are going to an adults only hotel so as most of the guests are a similar age I don't mind putting on a bikini - always covered with a sarong. I totally agree with shysal and can assure you that there will be much worse bodies than your own. Honestly last year in Menorca - I kid you not - I felt slim next to some of the guests!! grin

M0nica Tue 30-May-17 11:42:24

I know, and have seen, plenty of overweight over 70s in swimming suit, not only when I go on holiday but when I treat myself to a spa day.

DD isn't over 70 but she is a size 20, a strong swimmer, and a wild water swimmer. She goes swimming 4-5 times a week and never thinks twice about being seen a swimming costume.

maddy629 Wed 31-May-17 06:09:27

Hello everyone,thanks for all the helpful advice. I now know what to look for when I go shopping for my holiday swimwear.

JamesM12 Tue 26-Dec-17 09:59:07

There are a plenty of swimwear specially designed for elderly women and even in plus size design. Get the swimwear or bikini that suits your body type and makes you feel comfortable. Wear the ones that give you the confidence to show off your beauty. You can also view on some of the online stores like Dollboxx www.dollboxx.com.au/collections/reversible-bikini-tops and Amazon.