Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Smart/casual!

(13 Posts)
Jennyem Thu 13-Jul-17 10:32:41

I'm lucky enough to be invited to a corporate event at a motor racing event on Saturday (Silverstone), the invitation says smart/casual and I'm at a loss as to what to wear! I have tried on just about all the clothes in my wardrobe and can't decide, I don't wear dresses, am more comfortable in trousers. Help please? Thank you!

suzied Thu 13-Jul-17 10:43:50

Some smart summer trousers, maybe linen, with a summer top (not t shirt) maybe a vintagey blouse should fit the bill. I am going to a smart/casual event on Saturday too, I will wear a mid calf length summer dress and silver sandals, but if chilly I will wear navy pleated trousers and a white cotton embroidered top.

M0nica Thu 13-Jul-17 13:22:09

suzied gets it just right. At a motor racing circuit, I would wear practical shoes, flats or summer slip-ons. You may be walking on rough ground/grass. Also a light jacket, it is surprising how cool an outside event can be, especially if there is a breeze.

Disgruntled Fri 14-Jul-17 09:46:59

How about a female tuxedo with trousers? Is it quite glittery? glamorous?

Soniah Fri 14-Jul-17 09:47:12

Whatever you wear take earplugs or ear defenders, it is very loud!

Jennyem Fri 14-Jul-17 10:10:26

Hi Ladies, thank you all for your advice. I think I will go for the linen trousers and blouse combination and good tip about a jacket. I've been to Silverstone before but only walking round the track or in the stands where I could wear comfortable jeans and t-shirt. As you can gather I'm not one for dressing up, just prefer to be comfortable in my older years! Really looking forward to it though.

Jane43 Fri 14-Jul-17 10:57:31

Probably too late but they have a lot of nice summer trousers in the M & S sale.

W11girl Fri 14-Jul-17 11:34:26

Spot on SUZIED. Can't beat Linen trousers and a floaty/frilled type blouse with smart ballerinas.

Tizliz Fri 14-Jul-17 14:06:06

Wellies! It always rains, I know as I used to live there.

Mspjam123 Fri 14-Jul-17 14:48:58

Apart from the trousers and flat shoes, keep it smart. There's no such thing as smart-casual for women, just "smart" and " a bit scruffy". And make sure you have your hair in a wind- friendly do or it will be Wurzel Gummidge city at the first gust!

Oriel Sat 15-Jul-17 09:00:09

If it's smart casual I'd steer clear of anything linen as by the time you arrive it will be crushed and crinkled. I don't think linen looks smart casual - just casual.

I'd go for dark coloured slim leg trousers ending at the ankle with a white cotton shirt and flat shoes. Dress it up with chunky jewellery and a good quality handbag.

textureonline Thu 09-Nov-17 00:01:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Teetime Thu 09-Nov-17 03:54:46

Reported