Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Whiskers - how do you deal with them?

(79 Posts)
Smurf52 Thu 16-Nov-17 11:02:57

Isn't it awful that we get those nasty bristly things on our upper lip and chins. I've been grappling with them for around 10 years. Initially I tweezered them. I tried the hair remover strips but either i wasn't doing it right or they dont work properly. Then when I had more cash available I went to beauty salons and had the lip and chin wax. Now I'm retired I can't afford that any more it's back to tweezers. I have tried a small shaving implement called Flawless which is great for quickness but i get a stubble unless I do it twice a day. My sister was my late mother's carer and used to shave her chin every day. When my sister went away for 2 weeks on holiday my mum (who was in her eighties) had a growth on her chin that would make a navy officer proud - I dread my chin getting that much hair when I'm old. What do other grans do with their whiskers?

Nanawind Thu 23-Nov-17 16:20:07

I have just purchased a Smooth Touch women's hair Remover. It cost £10 from Amazon.
It's small can fit in my make up bag. Tried this morning and it has removed the little bug***s from top lip painlessly. Left it feeling smooth.
Will try the rest of my face later.

K1mbeatham Tue 21-Nov-17 22:17:38

Yep, and the tweezers need to be tweezerman. Best ever even for very fine hair

DanniRae Mon 20-Nov-17 10:46:59

Mine too loopy. It's to do with - whisper it - our age I think. I certainly don't bother with shaving my legs or bikini line this time of year. wink

loopylou Mon 20-Nov-17 10:38:06

I have my eyebrows threaded probably every 4-5 weeks, upper lip I have had threaded/waxed but ingrowing hairs were a problem so I now used a depilatory cream or electric razor. I have used an epilator but found it a bit eye watering to say the least!
The odd chin hair that I never seem to notice until it's an inch long ?? gets tweezered.
Oddly my armpits are hairless........ Why?

MissAdventure Sun 19-Nov-17 20:27:07

I'm really not that bothered about being a bit hairy. Apart from not wanting a full beard, the rest can do its own thing.

swji1 Sun 19-Nov-17 20:24:05

No-one seems to have mentioned SHR (Special Hair Removal) on this thread. This is a form of laser treatment and yes, it does work on grey hair! I have had electroylsis to remove hair on my face for more years that I can to remember but when my therapist retired, someone told me about SHR. It really works and I am currently going through a course of treatment on both my legs AND face. It does cost an arm and a leg grin but it will soon be over. Hair is NOT growing back and it is totally painless. Already I can go away on holiday and not worry about shaving my legs! I'm hoping that 2018 should mean no more hair removal appointments for the rest of my life (I'm 65) but the tweezers are now in the back drawer in the spare room). What's not to like?! My friend is so enthusiatic that she is now having her armpits and armpits done but I suspect that is going too far for me.

Sillynanny65 Sun 19-Nov-17 20:06:22

I have my eyebrows, lower lip & chin threaded. The upper lip I find too uncomfortable to have threaded so I have it waxed. When I first started threading about 2 years ago I would go every three weeks. Now due to lack of growth I go about every 4/ 5 weeks. The hair is definitely getting weaker. I don't feel it is expensive,like Teetime I would rather go without something else to feel good. Where I go it is not in the middle of a shopping center where everyone can see, it's a shop, with a lot of privacy.

Julieangell Sun 19-Nov-17 15:01:05

I can heartily recommend the Whizzit sold on Amazon it is
Cheap lasts for ages easy to carry with you on Holiday
And once you get used to it quiet painless and it is Battery operated works on chin and upper lip also fine hairs on cheeks. Previously I have tried every thing including Lazor,
This is great for me.

Vange Sun 19-Nov-17 06:41:14

I had electrolysis for YEARS - it didn't work!

Fran0251 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:40:42

Thanks Lara, very helpful.

sandelf Sat 18-Nov-17 17:42:57

So glad I'm not the only one - yes, tweeze, and shave the remainder.

Coconut Sat 18-Nov-17 17:35:39

I never leave home without my tweezers, just n case. Mother Nature is a cruel cow !!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 18-Nov-17 17:18:43

We are all different and I believe it may be that some of us have more than is necessary an amount of testosterone which is a male hormone and responsible for the excess of hair but in places it should not be in a woman.
My p's ceased by sixty and over the years unwanted chin hair and other body hair has decreased and disappearing altogether .Could be wrong but I am sure it is hormone related.Only a expert can tell you and I would rather resort, were it me, to having them removed than other means which could be dangerous were it to involve hormones.

EthelJ Sat 18-Nov-17 16:41:38

I agree Hooty. I couldn't understand the logic either, but that's what a beautician told me, I wasn't sure if she was maybe saying that because she wanted the business but she seemed genuine. Btw I still use tweezers! But mainly the twirly manual epilator which I have found to be great.

keffie Sat 18-Nov-17 16:10:44

I have full face threading every 4 weeks at my local spa: I have to keep on top of my eyebrows inbetween but my face is fine for the month, before it's done again. Costs me £18 each time. That's the equivalent of around £4-50 per week and worth every penny

NannyKasey Sat 18-Nov-17 15:35:31

I bought one of these from ebay - cost me £5.86 -works for me. I had to buy a shaver adapter tho

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yes-Finishing-Touch-Face-Body-Hair-Remover-Instant-Pain-Free-Hair-Removal-Lot/352213144297?hash=item52018a12e9:m:mwiZgp8AO7uUmXO5tj4QoJQ

Bamm Sat 18-Nov-17 14:55:25

Do try Inhibitif facial serum ( from Victoria Health on internet ). Honestly it really works. It is like a golden colour oil or serum and it is applied twice a day for eight weeks or so, then a couple of times a week for maintainance. It is worth persevering for the eight weeks, the hair grows slower, finer and weaker. I had to tweeze lots of really coarse hairs every day from chin and upper lip. I have a Braun epilator which does not touch the coarse hairs and removal cream hurts my skin and still doesn't remove them. I have had electrolysis in the past but new hairs have appeared. Lasers don't work on fair or grey hairs. Put on the Inhibitif after cleansing face in eve and a bit before any night creams then in morn before moisturiser etc. It is really good if used as directed ( tweeze or shave first ) . Costs £ 17 but lasts ages.

DanniRae Sat 18-Nov-17 14:12:21

I was thinking that Hooty - doesn't make sense does it? I love your name BTW!! grin

Esspee Sat 18-Nov-17 14:11:41

In an emergency don't be afraid to use a well lubricated (new) razor but it is not a long term solution. The hair will grow in very quickly as coarse stubble.
Electrolysis is permanent but expensive.
IPL is expensive and works on dark hair/ light skin only.
Lasering is expensive and I have no knowledge of how effective it is but is reputed to work.
No no is a no no!.
Waxing, threading and sugaring all work but need to be repeated every month or so therefore cost mounts up.
Tweezing is much the same but tedious as you do it yourself.
So you pay your money and take your choice!
Sorry OP wish there was a simple solution. smile

pollyperkins Sat 18-Nov-17 13:59:27

It does hurt yes but not as bad as waxing in my opinion

cavaliermum Sat 18-Nov-17 13:52:12

Threadings the way to go for me
Eyebrows too
Quick , effective and cheap
Can push it 6 weeks apart if necessary
Give it a try
( nips a bit )

HootyMcOwlface Sat 18-Nov-17 13:48:47

I don't understand why tweezering would make the hair grow back courser but waxing, epilating, etc does not. Aren't they the same principle, only tweezering does it one hair at a time rather than multiple hairs. I'm confused! ?

quizqueen Sat 18-Nov-17 13:09:39

No one has mentioned sugaring on here. It's a more pleasant experience than waxing as it's a just a malleable paste, not hot, so the area can be treated more than once if any hairs are missed. It pulls the root out so regrowth is slow and often the new hairs seem finer. I recommend looking for a local practitioner. Electrolysis is the only permanent solution and if you volunteer to be a 'guinea pig' at a local beauty college you should get it for free or cheaper at any rate.

pollyperkins Sat 18-Nov-17 12:49:34

Threading for me. Eyebrows and chin every 6 weeks or so. Costs about £10. In between I use tweezers. I tell DH to tell me if he sees a particularly long bristle - but at a time when I can do something about it, NOT when we are just about to walk into a dinner or party etc, as he did once!!

tigger Sat 18-Nov-17 12:36:54

There is a braun epilator I purchased recently for around £100. Excellent results. Expensive but if you calculate the costs of waxing etc you could soon recoup the costs.