Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A HANDbag?

(21 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 27-Nov-17 14:45:45

Driving to the station yesterday seatbelt light came on in the car.
I was “done up”, I was alone.
Then I realised that my handbag on the passenger seat must have triggered it! No wonder I get backache.
Maybe I shouldn’t have had the kitchen sink there too hmm although to be fair it is quite a heavy leather “Cambridge” satchel.
But seriously, what are your essential bag contents?
All I had was purse, keys, mobile, iPad (mini to read on the train) plus assorted tissues, lippies, the odd receipt or two.....

BlueBelle Mon 27-Nov-17 14:50:51

As I ve no car so bag is always on my shoulder not too much ....keys, purse, phone, tissues, and a fold up very lightweight shopping bag

Grannyknot Mon 27-Nov-17 15:11:42

I never carry a heavy bag and for that reason most of my handbags are fake leather. I've never been able to understand why anyone would have a handbag that weighs a ton before it even has anything in it.

In my handbag is lipstick, comb, purse and my Freedom Pass. I hide my keys so I don't carry them.

ninathenana Mon 27-Nov-17 15:19:40

Fold up brollie (you never know)
Purse
Keys
Phone
Tissues
Immodium
Small retractable tape measure
Pen
Reading glasses
Emery board

tanith Mon 27-Nov-17 16:02:50

Most of the time I have keys phone and keys my glasses round my neck, I only carry a bag if I'm going out to lunch or a function. Then I have keys,purse, tissues, phone, pen and my glasses.

dogsmother Mon 27-Nov-17 16:09:26

I am reducing my requirements regularly.
A coat or clothes with pockets and a hood and a phone with plastic.
This me and I don’t even need a purse now nevemind a handbag ? the freedom iswonderful so is the never ending”can you put this in your bag for me please” ?

DanniRae Mon 27-Nov-17 16:46:26

Reading glasses
Purse
Fold up shopping bag
Tissues
Keys
Comb
Lip salve
Eye drops
Pen
Mobile phone
Umbrella if looks like rain

HildaW Mon 27-Nov-17 17:50:41

I only use a small cross body bag now.....its small size means I have to be selective. A purse, phone, keys, tissues, pen, small notebook, lipstick, and small torch (we live in countryside where there are few street lights).

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Nov-17 17:57:08

I don't own a real handbag. I have a little backpack in purple fabric. When I go out, it contains a cotton handkerchief, Emery board, purse, phone and tablet (the electronic sort), ibuprofen tablets and Rennies. When going to Knit and Natter it also carries a selection of crochet hooks, a stitch marker, scissors and a darning needle!

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 18:18:51

Mobile phone
Purse/wallet
Keys
Pension
Small notebook
Tissues
Lips gloss
Paracetamol

Willow500 Mon 27-Nov-17 18:25:34

I can't seem to get away from carrying my life support bag with the kitchen sink in it.
Purse - big enough to carry one phone
Other work phone
Contact lens case with solutions
tissues
make up bag
folding hairbrush
folding mirror
cheque book

I had my iPad in it yesterday so it weighed even more blush

Greyduster Mon 27-Nov-17 18:31:36

Depends which bag, but most regularly
Purse on an internal security chain
DD’s house keys
Driving licence
Travel pass
Phone and ear pods
Specs and a spec wipe
Paracetamol
A photograph of my grandson
A small hand mirror
A small sewing kit
Tissues
A couple of wet wipes in a poly bag
A small fold up cotton shopping bag.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 18:34:27

You're right Greyduster, I'd forgotten about the little fold up shopping bag. And the small hand mirror. And the glasses. Other than that, I carry very little......blush

Maranta Mon 27-Nov-17 19:25:02

It depends what I am doing or where I am going but I prefer to travel light and usually have a small bag that just contains my purse, keys and phone. www.shoegarden.co.uk/products/healthy-baglett-black-small

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 19:36:23

I have been carrying a bag on my left shoulder since I was 11 and had to carry a heavy satchel to school.

It's not a handbag as such and these days I try to wear a cross-body bag. Every so often I tip it out on to the kitchen table and have a sort out and marvel at what I find in there.

tidyskatemum Mon 27-Nov-17 19:58:37

I have quite a big bag that doesn't have all that much in it but can I ever find my keys...........?

grannyqueenie Mon 27-Nov-17 22:58:00

Heck no wonder it weighs a ton!
Tissues
Wet wipes
Spec cleaning cloth
Plasters (I am the Queen of Blisters)
Paracetamol, Imodium and antihistamine
Ventolin inhaler
Lip Balm
Tweezers
Lipstick
Small mirror
Bus pass
House and car keys
Purse
Phone
Diary
Pen
Foldy up bags x2
But if I go for a walk I do have little material bag that just holds tissues, £5 note, keys, phone + small camera

lemongrove Mon 27-Nov-17 23:03:11

Blimey!

lemongrove Mon 27-Nov-17 23:04:53

All I have are:
Purse
Car keys
Door keys
A few paper hankies
Packet (half eaten) polo mints
Small foldable shopping bag.

lemongrove Mon 27-Nov-17 23:06:25

You did a very good Lady Bracknall thread title Maw

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 23:11:07

That sounds quite normal to me grannyqueenie!