Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Vertical split thumbnail

(17 Posts)
Rosieroe Wed 29-Nov-17 13:41:19

I have a vertical split on the thumbnail of my right hand and I can’t find any way of fixing it. It keeps catching on anything I have to put my hand in, such as pockets or bags, and I never before realised just how many can ring pulls I used my thumb nail for (mainly cat food).
Has anyone found a successful way of repairing a vertical split? I’ve filed it down and cut it back many times but the split has remained. Im currently trying a suggested method of applying a little piece of tea-bag mesh with nail polish below and on top, but still caught the nail on something and the split is getting longer.
Does anyone know of a good product? Would getting gel nails be a good idea - giving the real nail time to grow underneath?

Bathsheba Wed 29-Nov-17 13:46:54

I hope someone comes on here with a solution because both my daughter and I suffer from vertical splits on our fingernails and simply cannot find a way to resolve them. We've tried gel nails, nail strengthener, cutting them back as close as we dare, constantly filing. My daughter even saw her GP and sent nail clippings for analysis, which showed nothing amiss. She was then sent to a dermatologist who also had no answers.
So I really do empathise with you Rosieroe and hope this thread brings a solution for all of us smile

HillyN Wed 29-Nov-17 13:53:05

Both my thumbnails have vertical splits- they grow like that after injuries to the nail bed so gel nails don't help. I just keep them cut as short as possible and bought a gadget for opening ring pull cans.

gillybob Wed 29-Nov-17 14:11:26

I have no choice but to file mine right down as soon as the vertical split starts to appear, which is usually after only a few mm's of growth. I have tried everything including tea bag mesh, super glue etc.

midgey Wed 29-Nov-17 14:17:44

I wondered about putting superglue on my husbands split nail, but I lost my nerve!

gillybob Wed 29-Nov-17 14:36:21

Oh I've used it on mine lots of times midgey and it works for a time but loosens if you put your hands in water (especially if it's warm/hot) . Take a small piece of tea bag and place it over the nail split, dab a tiny drop of superglue over it, then file gently. Acts as a brilliant short term repair.

Rosieroe Wed 29-Nov-17 14:48:59

That’s rather disheartening to hear you and your daughter haven’t had any success Bathsheba.

I’ll have to try supergluing my teabag on and acquire a ring pull gadget to stop other nails going the same way. Let us all hope there’s still a gransnetter out there who can share a miracle cure.

NanaandGrampy Wed 29-Nov-17 16:12:06

I have this on one of my big toenails and now I pop into the salon every 8 weeks or so and have a gel nail applied. Its painted clear or to match my other toes and you would never know. Its a bit of a faff to keep going in but its been years and I simply don't think it will ever repair on its own.

Its certainly stopped me catching on things and making it worse. Might be worth trying. If you're a bit more flexible than me you might even be able to do it yourself Rosie :-)

tanith Wed 29-Nov-17 16:45:33

I have two on my right thumbnail, it started when I had a fungal infection in the nail. I've tried everything but after 5 yrs I don't think will ever heal so I keep it as short as I can all the time it's very annoying.

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:49:38

I had a split thumb nail for about a year. I also had Gel nails for most of this time although I do keep my nails short. It was fine when my nails were just done but after a week or so the split would reappear and I would buff it gently.
I did feel that perhaps the Salon had over buffed my nails at a time.
The Salon had no answers.

I decided to stop the gel nails for a while. I keep my nails short which took them down to almost get beyond where the split started. I also used Sally Hanson Nail Rehab. One coat dries very quickly and coats and 'smooths' out the split.

You can put on a second coat if you wish. It's a pale pink colour - I took this off and renewed it every 4 or 5 days just to keep it tidy. This has been for about 4 months and I'm still on the first bottle.

Very happy to say that my split has now disappeared or grown out. That's not to say that it might not appear if I was to let my nails grow to any length. The nails are short and I gently buff the ridges myself. Will never let a nail technician to this again or even file my nails, I think they are a bit over enthusiastic in how they do this.

For Christmas I plan on getting my gel nails again but won't let them do the buffing or such. Also I'll have them cut and filed to my short length so that all they have to do is tidy my cuticles and apply the gel polish.

I am so happy and as I type this I am feeling my thumb nail..... minus split. Though it's likely that the tendancy is there for it to happen again if I'm not careful.

Sally Hanson Nail Rehab - I think it was around £10 in Boots.

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:54:25

www.boots.com/sally-hansen-nail-rehab?cm_mmc=bmm-_-Google+Boots+PLAs-_-BAU-_-C=%28GB%3AWhoop%21%29+Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Beauty+-+Desktop_%28GB%3AWhoop%21%29+Sally+Hansen&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0vnQBRDmARIsAEL0M1n2CtsN9vFzu5Jw2TISRrpGvkfVXJM_xnuZ4MS-tQCyPy7ebvIXVpoaAvPkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what I used. I'm not saying it cured the split but it helped, it stopped the split from snagging while I kept the nail short and it helped the look of nails that normally look better with a wee coat of polish.

Liz46 Wed 29-Nov-17 18:33:31

I had one on my right thumb for many years and my nails were generally rather weak. I read about the supplement MSM, gave it a try and a few months later had strong nails. If I stop taking it my nails start to break again after a couple of months.

Nelliemoser Wed 29-Nov-17 18:53:18

I would plaster it up to stop tearing any further (and buy yourself a can opener. ) wink
Stop getting it wet and put waterproof gloves over it .

Water does finger nails no favours . It should improve if you start being a little more gentle with it.

Are you sure that using Gel nails and all the harsh nail varnishes and other chemicals are not making the nails even more brittle ?

suzied Wed 29-Nov-17 18:55:13

Gel nails has certainly helped my weak nails, I used to get vertical ridges and now my nails are much stronger.

Welshwife Wed 29-Nov-17 22:33:40

The thing to strengthen nail years ago was a square of jelly daily. The hair and nail capsules are greatly rated by my friend who tells me her nails are much stronger now

Bellab Mon 01-Jan-18 22:16:54

Had the same problem with my thumb nail for many years.I started taking hair skin and nail supplement for thinning hair and my nail has really started to improve. It grows longer without the split and I am sure it is slowly growing out.

Tegan2 Mon 01-Jan-18 22:43:55

I used a tea bag and nail glue to repair mine. I get vertical tears and horizontal ones now. Put Rimmel nail repair on the ends [can only get it off the internet now as it has formaldehyde in it], keep my nails really short and rub all sorts of cream onto them at night. Also wear cotton gloves a lot of the time when doing housework etc [pretend I'm a mime artist sometimes]. Used to have the strongest nails in the world sad. Will check out Sally Hanson nail rehab, though. I used their 'Hard of Nails' for a long time but it stopped helping.