Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Goodbye to Boots Seventeen

(18 Posts)
NanKate Thu 11-Jan-18 15:45:13

Just occasionally I buy some make up from Boots Seventeen range, it's cheap and cheerful and I like the shade of one of their lipsticks. Boots have emailed me today to say Seventeen has bitten the dust (well pretty soon) and is being replaced with something a bit more jazzy for young people. If there is anything you like from this range you need to get it now.

Do you remember Miners Makeup?

Day6 Thu 11-Jan-18 16:51:32

Oh yes, Miners make up! There's a blast from the past!

I like some of the things in the 17 range. I do hope with a change of name and image prices don't sky rocket. I have some of Boots No 7 stuff too although that's become fairly pricey over the years.

Deedaa Thu 11-Jan-18 17:33:26

Miners was great, with that green and grey packaging! I remember the black khol liner they sold for painting inside your bottom lid and they used to do a watercolour eyeshadow that you could get really good effects with.

1974cookie Thu 11-Jan-18 17:47:41

Oh goodness yes. I remember Miners makeup which was affordable as a teenager. If I remember right, it was Miners block mascara that I used to buy as it was the cheapest option. I have to add that the thick spider leg lashes were in retrospect were not a good look, but it was the 60's.
Rimmel was another cheap option and how many Gransnetters used to use "Hide and Heal" for their spots?

varian Thu 11-Jan-18 17:52:37

I only tried Rimmel mascara once (in the 1960s) and had an allergic reaction.

GrandmaMoira Sat 13-Jan-18 10:27:45

I am allergic to Boots 17 but used to use Rimmel and Miners.

MissAdventure Sat 13-Jan-18 10:30:52

I used to love outdoor girl mascara. I have never found anything that measures up, and can only find it in blue online.

Chewbacca Sat 13-Jan-18 10:32:05

Miners used to do a very pale pink lipstick in the 60s. I wore that and the mascara block that gave you huge thick spidery lashes. I must have looked like the living dead!

MissAdventure Sat 13-Jan-18 10:32:40

Actually, the nearest I've found, which I've worn for the last 5 years or so, is by boots 17.

orchidsailor Wed 24-Jan-18 15:48:34

Thanks for the tip. My first job was in Boots and I used to be on the 17 counter. Sorry to hear of its demise! I used to love Almay. I've been trying to find a good pencil lip liner and eyeliner from budget brands. Can anyone give any recommendations? I've tried one or two but they don't last or smudge.

orchidsailor Wed 24-Jan-18 15:49:35

Miss Adventure:
I noticed on Saturday that my local Poundland was selling a mascara, black and white casing. I think it was Outdoor Girl.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Jan-18 15:55:54

Oh thank you. I'll have to go into the one near me and have a look. smile

seacliff Wed 24-Jan-18 15:58:25

I used to like the Barbara Daly makeup from Tesco. I didn't realise it had gone until I went to stock up on blusher.

harrysgran Sat 27-Jan-18 20:16:04

Oh miners what a blast from the past remember I had a white shiny cream bit like what we call highlighter now and we would wear it on our cheeks band eyes

lilypollen Mon 29-Jan-18 21:01:04

Miners great 60s memories. I wore Mod Mist all the time and used their makeup. Thought I was the bees knees as my Saturday job didn't run to Mary Quant prices!

Missadventurefalls Tue 11-Feb-20 05:27:23

@MissAdventure. Same name

TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 07:24:05

Oh I remember Miners , I must have looked like a miner when I used to wear their black block mascara, I also had a think about Mary Quant make up too. Was so disappointed when that brand bit the dust,

TrendyNannie6 Mon 17-Feb-20 07:31:00

Thing not think, didn’t realise boots 17 had gone, lots of reasonable make up brands around in the last few years , Mua lipsticks are quite nice for a very reasonable price think they are around. 1.50 each known as Make up academy, they have a little twisty bit on the bottom which I actually thought was just showing the colour. But you can twist it off and find more lipstick inside. Win Win they are in Superdrug