Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Meghan’s M&S Jumper

(92 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 13-Jan-18 14:36:07

After the outcry about Meghan Markle’s eye wateringly expensive engagement picture dress, her white dressing gown coat and her hat on Boxing Say, is nobody prepared to give her credit for booosting a British manufacturer and opting for a high street piece?

www.marieclaire.co.uk/news/fashion-news/meghan-markle-marks-spencer-jumper-571598

nigglynellie Tue 16-Jan-18 18:00:52

I don't think anyone on here is a 'cap doffer'(what a quaint expression!) and I'm sure no one noticed your greeting paddyann or would have cared less if they had!
The RF are pretty popular and won't be going anywhere, anytime soon! Amen to that!

trisher Tue 16-Jan-18 11:23:12

Be careful paddyann not doffing your cap might be seen as "vitriolic"!

paddyann Mon 15-Jan-18 20:45:38

Trisher thanks for that it had passed me by

There really are some unpleasant people on this website. PaddyAnn!!! Glad I don't have to mix with you in "real life"
I can assure you I am the most even tempered easy to get on with,caring woman you could hope to meet..honest.
Yes that too,I dont understand the cap doffers who worship royalty nor their inability to see that they DONT bring in gazillions of money...the houses do ..but then they cost US almost as much .I am and have always been a republican..as were my parents and my GP's though they were IRISH republicans ...not a bad bone in any of them ,just a wish to see a fairer system than the monarchy is ...oh and I did meet a senior royal and I DIDN'T curtsy,bow or doff said cap ..as far as I'm concerned when they work as hard as most folk I know and PAY their own way they might be our equals NEVER our superiors.Do you think ANY of them would do the "job" if all they got was a council house and a state pension?

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Jan-18 18:24:16

If anyone’s still interested, you can bold words on GN on any device by using * at the beginning and end of the text. I do always imagine someone’s shouting when they use capitals.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 18:03:18

First apologies to MawBroon,for going off piste so to speak, Yes I definitely give MM credit for her high street purchase .
Secondly apologies for unwittingly unleashing Trisher's scorn.
It doesn't take much does it before a thread turns to point scoring rubbish , bye for now .

trisher Mon 15-Jan-18 17:53:08

Bridgeit you seem to be arguing with youself about child labour, so enjoy!

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 16:58:42

Saggi, you should be glad you weren't born one! Why don't people get that we can't help who we are, we don't get to choose do we ? at least the current royals do try to do some good, what would you have them all do ? disappear of the face of the earth, would any of our lives improve if they did ? No I don't think so!

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 15:15:20

You are correct Trisher, you didn't, but my posts were about child labour specifically, so I naturally assumed you were continuing to follow the theme of the thread .

Saggi Mon 15-Jan-18 15:14:41

Don’t ‘do’ royalty. Waste of space!

trisher Mon 15-Jan-18 14:38:39

Try reading the post Bridgeit I posted what you said and pointed out that there are other things that also provide employment, such as the sex industry. I never mentioned child labour.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 12:30:42

Trisher where did I say I approved of child labour ?!?!

Mapleleaf Mon 15-Jan-18 12:18:26

Actually Trisher they were two different statements. The first part of my post was in reply to what you had said ( and not meant as a criticism of you, by the way but rather as another point of view) and the second part of my post was concerning some of the unpleasant remarks that are being said, not to do with my first part. When I look at my post, my paragraphing is poor, so apologise for that. I also apologise if I have upset you that was not my intention.

trisher Mon 15-Jan-18 12:04:52

Bridgeit I would just say Trisher that they do provide a lot of employment
So does the sex industry but I don't approve of that either.

Great level of discussion Mapleleaf Says more about you than me.

Mapleleaf Mon 15-Jan-18 11:59:54

Miaow Trisher

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:42:05

Yes thanks, Durhamjen that's a much more informative site.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:38:20

Ahh thanks, yes I just looked & the first link referred to America

durhamjen Mon 15-Jan-18 11:36:52

Sorry about that. You'll find info on Soil Association.

www.soilassociation.org/organic-living/fashion-textiles/organic-cotton/

durhamjen Mon 15-Jan-18 11:33:05

Depends on the cotton, Bridgeit. Organic cotton is different.

www.cottonedon.org

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:27:58

meant their not there!

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:17:57

I would just say Trisher that they do provide a lot of employment.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 11:16:34

A friend of mine use to pride herself on only buying 'cotton garments ' as there was ' no way ' she was going to wear synthetic. I showed her my book about ethical buying,she steadfastly refused to believe that children were working many hours a day for a pittance producing these garments made with carcinogenic methods for which she was prepared to pay a fortune for. I don't think we know the half of what goes on , or how we can do the right thing to improve the situation,if no one buys these garments children people communities suffer & if we do buy them we are aiding & betting those who mercilessly exploit communities & there well being.

trisher Mon 15-Jan-18 11:05:11

Well if this isn't attacking someone niggly
There really are some unpleasant people on this website. PaddyAnn!!! Glad I don't have to mix with you in "real life"
or this
the amount of vitriol that is appearing by some posters on this thread. Would they say these things to the people if they were face to face with them, I wonder. Probably not

And actually "Yes" I would express my disapproval of the RF and the amount they cost the country, and the numbers of hangers on that now comprise it, face to face with anyone. What I haven't done is condemn people who like them, just said I don't understand it which apparently is "vitriolic"

durhamjen Mon 15-Jan-18 11:04:57

I hope she doesn't buy from Zara, Next or Mango.
Or if she does, she could make sure their workers are paid. Some of them haven't been paid for 79 weeks, so I've just heard.

Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 10:27:54

Back to the original question, I wouldn't even think to know or care where each article of clothing MMwears ,comes from !!I might think 'ohh that looks nice 'or 'I wouldn't wear that ' So yes I could say ohh that's good she is supporting aBritish manufacturer ( is there one? ) even M& S clothes are not manufactured in this country! We do seem to get in a bit of a lather in this country about such things don't we!!

nigglynellie Mon 15-Jan-18 10:27:30

No one is attacking anyone for their disaproval of the RF. What is being attacked is the way that some people express their views. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for goodness sake, to be so venomous about a young (not middle aged!) couple and the family they belong to is quite frankly deeply unpleasant and totally unnecessary.