Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

sunscreen

(19 Posts)
definitelymaybe Mon 15-Jan-18 12:27:08

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help. I watched a programme on the BBC the other night about looking good (ha!) and they came to the conclusion that only retinol and sunscreen actually helped to slow ageing -or signs of . i already use a retinol every other night, but i was horrified to find that my moisturiser doesnl have an spf in it when i checked. I thought it did sad

I'm quite a young grandma, at 48, so i'm hoping all is not lost and it isn't too late for me! My question is, can anyone recommend a facial sunscreen that isn't greasy, as I have enough of that already. I don't want to use normal sunscreen meant for the body and don't mind spending a bit on a decent facial sunscreen. Any help appreciated.

rubysong Mon 15-Jan-18 15:06:21

I have used face lotion with spf15 for many years, anything stronger gives me sore eyes. However I have frontal fibrosing alopecia and have lost quite a band of hair over my forehead and sunscreen is the latest product to be suspected of causing this condition. I'm now restricting the SPF use to the summer and using a SPF free product for the rest of the year. I have had a skin cancer removed so I am in a bit of a quandary.

Pittcity Mon 15-Jan-18 16:24:05

I use Aldi Lacura moisturiser for older faces which has SPF15 or 20
Non greasy and cheap!

Grannyben Mon 15-Jan-18 18:50:54

I thought it was a very interesting programme. I've used moisturiser since I was 16 but it doesn't have a SPF. I've since been googling and, in surveys, I've also noticed that the Aldi Lacura seems to do much better than many products which are much more expensive. I will certainly be giving it a go. Can I ask what retinol product you use

OldMeg Mon 15-Jan-18 18:58:07

I use a tinted moisturiser with SPF 15.

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:58:06

I've just checked and I don't think my facial moisturiser has any sunscreen in it.
If I'm going out in the sun I use a Boots facial sunscreen, otherwise I don't bother.
Remember to apply to your ears too, if you have short hair or wear it tied back as that is a place often forgotten when applying sunscreen.

Sixtylooming Mon 15-Jan-18 20:05:00

Clinique do a City Block which is SPF 40 and you can wear daily on top of moisturiser, also Clarins do an SPF 50, that is lovely and light. It's a bit pricey, but lasts ages even though the bottle is very small!!

Parsleywin Mon 15-Jan-18 23:04:27

How many hours during the day is the SPF in a moisturiser actually effective for? We're told it's important to keep reapplying sunscreen on our body throughout the day, but that isn't practical for the face if you're wearing makeup.

The other alternative is to use a specific once a day product - but it needs to be applied to a clean dry face and left for 15 to 20 mins before adding a moisturiser or makeup on top. Sometimes that just isn't practical!

absent Tue 16-Jan-18 02:08:45

Where I live we are directly underneath a large hole in the ozone layer, which is slowly closing I am pleased to say. Consequently, the sun is very fierce here. A survey was recently published which revealed that the sun protection factors on a wide variety of apparently reputable products – including the Cancer Society Kids Pure sunscreen that I use on my grandchildren – are almost all inaccurate and provide less protection than stated. I cannot now remember what products I used in the UK, but would advise googling information about the accuracy of sun protection factor claims before spending money on an inadequate product.

definitelymaybe Tue 16-Jan-18 09:22:48

grnnyben - the retinol I use is from a company that my daughter got me onto because it's cheap but apparently recommended by lots of people in the know. It's called The Ordinary and I think it was about 6 or 7 pounds for their 1% retinol. luckily I use it at night, or it might have been even worse with the sun exposure (not that we've seen a lot of that recently).

The Clinique and Clarins ones sound like they'll do just the job Sixtylooming. I also came across one from the body shop last night called defence something or other that looks good and is pf 50.

Grannyben Tue 16-Jan-18 19:15:38

Thank you for the information, I'm so pleased with the prices. I will certainly be giving it a go

Lazigirl Tue 16-Jan-18 19:21:03

I have used Clinique city block on face since friend who had skin cancer was advised to use this every day, even in winter, by dermatologist. I use on top of simple moisturiser.

lizzypopbottle Wed 17-Jan-18 17:00:48

This is what I use. I've never been interested in looking tanned.

lizzypopbottle Wed 17-Jan-18 17:41:26

Also, you have to apply enough sunscreen for it to be effective. Most people don't use enough. Below is a link to the British Association of Dermatologists:

www.bad.org.uk/for-the-public/skin-cancer/sunscreen-fact-sheet

dihut Wed 17-Jan-18 18:24:30

I have a very sensitive skin and the only moisturiser I can use is Simple with a spf15. I find it non greasy and have used it for quite a few years now.

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:27:27

I haven't seen the 'dry touch' one lizzy but I use Boots Soltan for face as well and the tube is small and light enough to keep in a bag. If I'm out and about I will use it on arms or any other exposed parts too.

However, I do keep in the shade more and more these days.

PamelaJ1 Wed 17-Jan-18 18:43:06

I have used many sunscreens in the past and have been happy with most of them. I only use facial products on my face but the best product I have found is bare minerals powder foundation. It is fabulous, easy to apply and, as it has colour in it lasts for hours. My sister, who has all sorts of skin problems and lives in a hot country swears by it.

lizzypopbottle Wed 17-Jan-18 18:45:28

I try to keep in the shade too Jalima for my skin but also for my hair colour. One day I'll grow it out but not quite yet...

Cold Wed 17-Jan-18 19:47:29

I have very very sensitive skin as well as psoriasis

The best cream I have found is Body Shop Aloe soothing moisture lotion spf 15

For formal outings where I need to even out the colour of my face I use Max Factor Ageless Elixir 2 in 1 foundation & serum that has spf 15

On holidays in the sun I lug around factor 50 sensitive sun cream and sit in the shade in a shirt and floppy Vera hat - despite these precautions I did develop a bcc on my face