Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Pencil skirts

(50 Posts)
Teetime Sun 11-Feb-18 09:43:24

I read in today's Sunday Times Style section that pencil skirts are the 'in thing' for Spring. Sadly I have the shape of a Teletubby - getting wider as I get near the floor so they are not for me. Its a shame I think they are very elegant especially with a nice leather belt and large buckle. Anyone going for it?

M0nica Thu 15-Feb-18 22:51:04

rambling rose, the slit would have to go up to the waist for it to be easy to walk at speed in a pencil skirt

It couldn't have coped with me and DGD running from platform 1 - 14 at Paddington today to catch the one train to our destination for an hour. We had six minutes to do it, and platform 14 includes running the length of platform 12, round the corner and onwards to find it. In trousers and boots with a sturdy 2 inch heel it was easy. In a pencil slim skirt and stiletto heels?hmm

SallyDapp Thu 15-Feb-18 13:08:05

Starlily, why don't you wear opaque tights with your skirts.

SallyDapp Thu 15-Feb-18 13:05:25

I love the fashion of the 50's but a nice wiggle dress or pencil skirt suits me better than the big flared skirts. Im size 18 to start with so I look massive in a flared skirt but feel so much sexier in a tight fitting skirt and high heels.

mabon1 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:15:28

I'm 76 and have never stopped wearing them since I started working at 20 years of age. Always flattering and smart, but always choose one with a kick pleat at the back.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:21:31

Absolutely nothing wrong with my rear view in a pencil skirt, but reducing my front to elegant proportions is a no go! So sadly the days of pencil skirts are long gone, unless I can find the gumption to start a regime of sit-ups and other belly reducing exercises!

Anyone know a stomach-flattening exercise that actually works?

NannyBadcrumble1 Tue 13-Feb-18 00:56:54

Oh those were the days when I was able to wear a pencil skirt, and impossibly high heels. I’ve long since hung up my heels, so when I have to wear them on very rare occasions, I’m wobbling around trying to stay upright.

Unless they invent an industrial strength body and tummy shaper, I’ll stick to my long, floaty hippie skirts

Shizam Tue 13-Feb-18 00:53:28

Gosh, I loved a pencil skirt. Had the legs to go with them. Now I prefer to keep my pins and feet comfortably covered!

mcem Mon 12-Feb-18 22:36:12

Have several - acquired over several years. This thread has put me in the mood to wear one tomorrow!
Ooops just checked and found 10. I'll try them in the morning but I bet they don't all fit!

JoyBloggs Mon 12-Feb-18 22:10:36

I pretty much live in cords or jeans and really hate the restriction of pencil skirts. However, I've got a couple and about twice a year force myself to give them an outing. Always feel very smart when I wear them and pledge to do so more often, but then happily retreat to my friendly old cords/jeans for another six months. The spirit is willing but the flesh isn't so keen!

starlily106 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:58:03

I would love to wear a skirt sometimes, but after having knee replacements I have scars which make me look as if I am wearing laddered tights, so I'm afraid it's trousers all the time.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-18 21:39:53

I would definitely wear one if I had the shape..

BBbevan Mon 12-Feb-18 21:30:45

I would look like Olive Oil

Fennel Mon 12-Feb-18 17:19:17

Looking at Etsy, I think mine are what's called pegtop skirts - more emphasis on the hips.

Luckylegs9 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:00:12

I love my new black pencil skirt, I haven't got a big bottom. I wear it just past the knee and wear tops that are no longer than just on the hip bone. Has to be with either kitten heels or boots and black tights.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-18 15:54:11

grin

muddynails Mon 12-Feb-18 15:53:27

ooooh pencil skirt highest heels you could walk in.......
Those were the days--------if you think you are going out like that my girl------when I had the figure I wasn't allowed
now I'm allowed no longer have the figure
Such is life

Bellasnana Mon 12-Feb-18 14:29:00

No thanks. Not a fan of skirts unless they are long and a bit floaty.

Fennel Mon 12-Feb-18 14:27:52

I've got a skirt pattern similar to a pencil one, with sloping side pockets. I made a few years ago - maybe try to find them and see if they still fit.
Mine weren't all that tight though.

Legs55 Mon 12-Feb-18 13:31:55

Wore one occasionally in my late teens, definitely not suitable for bus/train. Hot Pants were more my thingsmile I was 5'7" with a 36 - 23 - 36 figure. Not sure what happened but I'm very rounded around the middle, still got the good legs but can no longer wear heelssad

Gaggi3 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:41:59

Perhaps a bustle would solve the bum problem. I don't think I've ever written the word before and had to check the spelling.grin

annodomini Mon 12-Feb-18 11:38:19

It must be about 50 years since I wore a pencil skirt. And I've never given them a thought since then. At 77, I don't feel the need to be 'on trend', even if I thought I could get one that fitted me! Stylish? No... Warm? Yes please.

Ramblingrose22 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:30:17

M0nica - a pencil skirt with a long vent at the back solves the walking issue. Also allows for the legs to be admired from the rear and helps with sitting down.

I haven't seen the photos but IMHO pencil skirts only look good on fashion models and those with long shapely legs and a flat stomach. I can't balance in very high heels and refuse to wear clothes that restrict my movements so I won't be buying one anytime soon.

I do have two old ones in the wardrobe in very stretchy black velvet from M&S. One is knee length and the other is mid-calf. I can get away with wearing them with decorative or opaque tights, ankle boots and a not too clingy top - ideally one with side vents.

I haven't worn them for ages but I can't bring myself to throw them away.

GabriellaG Mon 12-Feb-18 11:30:13

luzdoh
YouTube has lots of hints and tips re clothes, accessories and occasions to suit any figure and all ages. I recently saw an asymetric haircut on there which I want my hairdresser to replicate for me.

Margs Mon 12-Feb-18 11:17:50

Pencil skirts are so impractical, whatever your shape.

But men seem to like 'em.........let THEM wear them!

GabriellaG Mon 12-Feb-18 11:13:56

Hmm...too many 'skirt' s.