Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shiny Hair?

(15 Posts)
fumanchu Thu 21-Jun-18 22:33:13

Sometimes I see older ladies with gorgeous grey or silver hair that really shines. Is there stuff you can put on to make hair shine?

OldMeg Thu 21-Jun-18 22:34:39

Yes

J52 Thu 21-Jun-18 23:11:43

Argon oil or coconut oil shampoo, conditioner or a finish oil from either source.
If using the finishing oil, put a few drops in your palms rub through damp hair and dry as normal.

stella1949 Fri 22-Jun-18 00:18:43

Mine is always shiny - I use Argan oil after washing.

Mapleleaf Fri 22-Jun-18 07:02:58

There's quite a lot of products to give a shine to hair. I've got an oil that I got from Avon which is very good. (You can go online if there's no rep near you). A small amount rubbed in palm of hands after drying hair is all it takes. Other brands available, I'm sure! ?

Welshwife Fri 22-Jun-18 07:57:12

If I use conditioner or oil of any sort my hair just lies flat so that sort of thing is no good to me. I have grey/white hair and use Aveda blue malva shampoo for the second wash. It does give it a good colour and also a sheen. There are cheaper purple shampoos about but the ones I have tried make my head itch and hurt.

petra Fri 22-Jun-18 08:51:14

fumanchu
Argan oil. Get it Poundland. Same with their Argan oil shampoo.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 08:59:02

Welshwife, oil and conditioner used to have the same effect on mine. But I’ve found that a drop or two of argan oil massaged in the night before washing it works.

fumanchu Fri 22-Jun-18 18:23:27

Great help, thank you all. I will try argan oil smile

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Jun-18 19:03:20

I use argan spray, just spray on before drying.
It protects hair from over heating (hair dryer. hot brush etc) as well as giving hair shine.
I get mine from
Home bargains.

Matisha Sun 12-Aug-18 09:34:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fennel Sun 12-Aug-18 10:10:15

My Mum had lovely shiny hair. She used normal shampoo rinsed it then did another rinse with white vinegar then rinse again. She said that got rid of the scum. Also saved rain water to rinse her hair.
I find central heating makes my hair dull and dry- better in the summer.

Richa94 Tue 28-Aug-18 07:36:22

For me, deep conditioning of hair with eggs is the natural remedy that works best for me in making hair shiny.

LisaLee Fri 07-Dec-18 15:19:52

Hello ladies. I also was using argan oil for a while as a conditioner as well as Pantene shampoo. After reading an article here I decided to make some changes and try something new. I've tried OGX and Redken conditioners for a while and can say they both are nice. I'm glad OGX is sulfate-free, but a bit expensive for me. So I'm using the other one, for now, it also works as a detangler.

Pittcity Fri 07-Dec-18 17:24:18

My hairdresser is always telling me that I should buy products from the salon as anything else is ruining my hair. I am happy with Lidl or Aldi own brand.
I don't think more expensive equals better.