Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

eyebrows and other stories

(14 Posts)
frankie74 Sat 18-Aug-18 11:51:37

I've been getting ready to go to a lunch-time bbq and for once have taken some time with my appearance. I decided to pluck my eyebrows, but it's difficult with poor eyesight, and varifocals don't focus properly when you are looking through the top of them. so I turned them upside down. Bingo! and shock horror! I suddenly saw what everyone else normally sees. 10 minutes later and the forest is neatly pruned.
Does anyone else have any beauty tips for the older woman?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Aug-18 12:16:30

Find a really good beautician whom you trust and like, then tell her to be truthful.

In my case I am not always pleased with what she says, but I am pleased with the 'afterwards result'

DanniRae Sat 18-Aug-18 13:19:46

I bought a 10 x magnifying mirror (didn't realise how powerful it would be!) and it is amazing for finding all those stray facial hairs that need plucking. Mind you, you need to brace yourself before you look in it as it is so 'unforgiving' grin

Farmor15 Sat 18-Aug-18 14:22:12

I found a good magnifying mirror with suction thing on the back so can stick on window. That way I get good light as well as magnification, but it is scary?. I don’t like looking in it unless I’m trying to pluck the ever growing hairs from the wrong places.

M0nica Sat 18-Aug-18 15:00:57

Get your eyebrows shaped and tinted by a beautician.

On DD's recommendation, I had that done for the first time about 2 months ago and I am due to have it done again next week. It was a revelation and I do not know why I didn't think to have it done year's ago.

As I have commented before I am quite hirsute. I have been having electrolysis for years. It is now down to 10 minutes of discomfort two or three times a year and you can forget about those magnifying mirrors and tweezers. I admit to owning tweezers but I do not possess, and never have, a magnifying mirror

mollyc Sun 30-Sep-18 18:17:08

I have always had my eyebrows tinted professionally but now at the age of 81 I wonder if I should stop I don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb. I still use eye shadow but stopped using eye liner last year. What do you all advise? Is there an age when you stop?

PamelaJ1 Sun 30-Sep-18 18:24:59

Mollyc, my oldest client is 98.
BTW I’m a beauty therapist - not a beautician.

petra Sun 30-Sep-18 18:46:15

Teeth. A lot of older women don't notice that their teeth have become 'darker'
I use a teeth whitening kit from my dentist but still have them cleaned twice a year by my dentist.
If you have to pay for your dentist: mine charges £35.

BlueBelle Sun 30-Sep-18 20:22:20

I might be the only person on here who has never touched their eyebrows they are just fine as they are and I wouldn’t know where to start they are a decent shape not too dark or big in fact I m perfectly happy with them Nowadays girls do such strange things with their eyebrows There seems to be an obsession with having thick black ones

Willow500 Sun 30-Sep-18 20:46:13

Some people's eyebrows look ridiculous these days but as mine have all but disappeared in the last few years I do try to make them look better. When I can I get them shaped and dyed but I can't see to pluck them either (even with a magnifying mirror) so use brow products and brush them into shape. I've been watching my DIL's make up videos (she's a make up artist) and one of the tips I've picked up is to really massage in primer before foundation - I've just been spreading it on. She also massages the foundation in like moisturiser and takes it further down her neck and everything goes over her eyelids - although with contact lenses I can't do that. Does help that her skin is 25 years younger than mine of course grin

Happiyogi Sun 30-Sep-18 20:53:09

Willow! How lucky are you! I'd love to have a make up artist in the family.

Willow500 Sun 30-Sep-18 21:00:28

Yes Happiyogi but sadly she's on the other side of the world so doesn't get to work on my face grin

PECS Sun 30-Sep-18 21:03:26

I think I have about 20 hairs left per eyebrow..all the rest appear to have slipped down to my chin and I have plucked then out!
I actually began to lose my eyebrows after I was given an inhaler for sinusitis by the GP about 20 years ago! I asked about it & apparently it happens! Now I have hardly any eyebrows ..never know if I should just get rid of them all !

Jimjam1 Wed 03-Oct-18 20:12:07

Had the same problem with my eyebrows. Done some research and had microblading. It’s a form of tattoo. Really pleased with the results. Make sure you do your research to make sure your beautician is qualified to carry out this procedure.