Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wide feet dilemma

(24 Posts)
Teetime Tue 21-Aug-18 11:51:00

Hall all as you may remember I had extensive foot surgery this year which is all better and I can do everything I need to now thankfully. However it has left me with one wider fitting foot and one semi normal foot. Any suggestions please for how to purchase footwear.

ninathenana Tue 21-Aug-18 12:38:21

Depending on the size difference I would assume you would need a wider fitting pair and a thick insole in the other shoe. Perhaps with adjustable fastenings so you can have one tighter than the other.
J. D. Williams do some lovely wide fitting shoes up to a EEE also try Hotters, pricey but worth it for comfort.

ginny Tue 21-Aug-18 14:22:00

Another vote for Hotter’s. I have wide feet and buy their regular width. Extra wide are far too wide so could be the answer for you.

Teetime Tue 21-Aug-18 14:29:46

Thank you. I am looking for something smart as I wear a lot of skirts and dresses.

Charleygirl Tue 21-Aug-18 15:07:07

I also wear Hotter the extra extra wide but I do not class their wide shoes as smart.

I am aware what you do not want to do is buy two pairs of shoes but different widths and/or sizes- the cost would be horrendous.

Buying on line is not the answer, you need to go to a shop to try them on and then maybe if you liked them buy on line after that.

ninathenana Tue 21-Aug-18 16:25:42

J D Williams have all the styles you could hope for from trainers, ankle boots etc. to red carpet styles

MiniMoon Tue 21-Aug-18 17:06:39

Check out these shoes
I have a pair of sketchers black slip on shoes that are fairly smart, and very comfortable.

MiniMoon Tue 21-Aug-18 17:08:24

By the way, I would buy wider shoes for your poorly foot, and put an inner sole in the other one.

Jalima1108 Tue 21-Aug-18 17:45:29

Try DB Widerfit Shoes - they come with two removable insoles so that people who need to can insert their own orthotics. They come in various widths; they are a very helpful company and if the shoes are not suitable they are very easy to return.

EllenT Tue 21-Aug-18 18:16:03

Clarks' wide fit (E) work for my uneven and horribly lumpy feet. I find the styles with 'trigenic' soles work really well for me.

Nannarose Tue 21-Aug-18 18:26:30

www.marshallshoes.co.uk/waldlaufer

Marshall shoes also have other useful brands.

Also worth looking at Padders.

Teetime Tue 21-Aug-18 19:57:57

Ok thankyou all. Spent the summer barefoot and in flip flops or golf shoes.

stevenreed Sat 23-Feb-19 13:08:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nigelng Sun 18-Aug-19 07:25:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Purpledaffodil Sun 18-Aug-19 07:33:10

Marks and Spencer’s Footglove? With maybe an inner sole under the narrower foot?

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:23:42

I use a leather stretch spray on on my left shoes and boots to soften and stretch them as the foot is wider it’s a bunion .
It works very well for me .

NotAGran55 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:24:28

* with a bunion

Auntieflo Sun 18-Aug-19 08:41:18

Do Marks and Spencer, still do Footglove shoes?

MawB Sun 18-Aug-19 08:49:20

Some Hotter styles (Angel is one) have two insoles which you can choose to remove to improve the width of the shoe I find myself doing this when it is hot and my feet swell and then replace them when they have gone down again. So you could do that for the wider foot and leave them in for the other.
While the majority of their styles are perhaps not “smart” some are and others “smart enough”!
Angel and Livvy shown

Pittcity Sun 18-Aug-19 09:09:57

I have one wide foot and the other has developed a bunion through having to wear a too wide shoe. I go to Shuropody for measuring. Their shoes are comfy and fashionable. Also available online.
Clarks and M&S wide fit are my other go to shops.

Elegran Sun 18-Aug-19 09:13:01

Another vote for DB widerfit shoes. They go up to an *E width, (far more choice than Hotter, which only go to a 3E) so would definitely be wide enough for your wider foot, and they have many styles. There are some very smart ones. They are in some shoeshops, but if you get their catalogue in includes a tape-measure and detailed instructions for measuring size and width fittings, and a chart to translate your measurements into shoe sizes/fittings to order online. Some styles have stretchy uppers that adjust to your feet.

They are very helpful, so if you contact them, maybe they would sell you one of one size and one of another? If that fails, I believe there is a website somewhere for people with odd feet (or just one foot!) who exchange single shoes.

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 00:08:20

M&S and many online and High Street shops stock wider fitting shoes nowadays.
You should certainly be able to get some attractive shoes for any occasion without breaking the bank.
Good luck and I'm glad your foot has healed. smile

Elegran Mon 19-Aug-19 01:36:16

Individual shops vary in how they define "wider". Some claim to stock wider shoes, but only an E fitting, which is certainly wider than an A, B, C or D, but no use to anyone who needs an EE, an EEE, an EEEE, an EEEEEE or an EEEEEEEE. They probably will not sell one shoe of one width and a partner of a wider fitting.

GabriellaG54 Mon 19-Aug-19 14:51:40

They're certainly very very nice MawB and I love the colours.