Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Have you found "your style?"

(112 Posts)
oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 09:37:41

I have been wearing hush sort of light weight, trousers and more or less any tops and some nice sandals for months. Also, a couple of maxi skirts. I think this has been reasonably successful. Now the season is changing..... what to wear? Picture a vertically challenged, size 14 ish person who feels the cold. Thanks folks. smile

SusieK Mon 18-Dec-23 12:56:54

I have two jumpsuits - one a lightweight denim one, and one a silky patterned one in greens and blues. I love them, except for the hassle of going to the loo!

grannymags Mon 18-Dec-23 12:41:13

At age 63 I found my style for me it’s jumpsuits weekdays jeans and boots but as soon as I’m going anywhere out comes one of my many jumpsuits and I feel great always dressed

Casdon Sun 10-Dec-23 21:12:28

Reported, old thread revived by spam advertising.

Primrose53 Sun 10-Dec-23 20:54:15

I like organic cotton leggings, biker boots, tunic tops, lovely colours, silver jewellery and have hundreds of earrings. I have long hair but always wear it up so have lots of clips and spikes.

It’s not intentional on my part but people always tell me I look “arty”.

Coolgran65 Sun 10-Dec-23 18:19:17

I wear pull on leggings that look like jeans. Not skinny leg, more tapered, and I roll them up to give a cuff just at the ankle. In winter I wear bright coloured socks to match my top or shoes/boots.
Always a scarf and earrings.

dipalisingh Sun 10-Dec-23 15:34:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

virginia0806 Wed 27-Jul-22 13:59:26

I guess that no

LilyRosie Mon 18-Jul-22 13:12:32

Think about the clothes you have that make you happy. What are your favorite items in your closet? Pull these pieces out and think about why they make you feel good. Notice what they have in common.

avnisaha Fri 01-Jul-22 05:35:53

Esspee Wed 30-Mar-22 13:52:57

Extremely elegant Piyabose but a little impractical for everyday wear.

MayBee70 Wed 30-Mar-22 13:48:35

My style these days is still wearing pyjamas except when I’m walking the dog. My son and his family are staying with us next week so it will be a shock to my system having to wear proper clothes in the day.

piyabose Wed 30-Mar-22 13:43:42

godamwale Wed 28-Oct-20 15:37:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Susie42 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:42:13

Still looking for my style but now getting close. Like many others had to wear formal for work and it has taken a long time to leave that mind set behind.

jewelrymaster Tue 21-Jan-20 06:56:52

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 01-May-19 09:36:17

I can be found in jeggings most days with a plain t-shirt and a long cardigan in the obvious colour from my user name! I alternate between beige/cream or blue/grey each day.
On hot summer days I wear my home-made sleeveless dresses in various (mainly floral) patterns , mainly pastel coloured. In my own eyes I'm stylish but I fear the short dumpy old hag in the mirror tells a different story.

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 09:31:40

You still have today and tomorrow for bargains if you are a Sahara fan. They are having a pop-up sale in PallMall in London which runs until the end of tomorrow.. PM me if you want details!

lovelylegendary Wed 01-May-19 09:20:37

goldengirl Mon 01-Oct-18 15:37:52

I change my style with the wind. At the moment it's based on bright colours and I'm currently looking for some funky tights. I love chunky jewellery which is part of my style too.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Oct-18 14:37:10

paddyann shock and grin I hope you pointed out that you don't have a beard like Demis
I sent for a maxi dress from White Stuff to take on holiday with me but immediately sent it back again.

Trying to shed a few pounds before I look at the new JL collection.

Freeandeasy Sun 30-Sep-18 18:53:05

Suits not suite!!!

Freeandeasy Sun 30-Sep-18 18:44:35

Yes, I’ve eventually found my “retirement” style. Been retired a year now (I’m 62). I’ve always worked, since the age of 18, in an office environment. The job I retired from meant you had to dress very smartly and I wore mainly dresses with jackets/suite etc. and I had a LOT of smart shoes. When I first retired, I realised that I had very few casual clothes. I took a lot of my previous work wear to the charity shop, but kept a few “good” jackets, dresses etc. My style now is what I would call “smart casual”. I wear black tailored trousers, shift dresses with jacket/Mac out shopping or sometimes skinny jeans with a Breton type top and a nice gilet with boots. My latest gilet purchase was a faux fur one from Tiggi - just love it! I feel “put together” iyswim? For lounging about the house, I wear casual black comfort trousers from M&S, with a nice top. I would never wear them going out, but they are smart(ish) and I would be happy to receive any unexpected visitors wearing them. I find that having given a lot of my “corporate” clothes away, my wardrobe is much more streamlined.

paddyann Fri 28-Sep-18 08:48:00

I gave up my maxi dresses,loved them but after a throw away remark from my usually complimentary OH that I looked like Demis Roussos I thought it was time for them to go...and the extra weight .Back to a size 10 now but still a bit wary of the maxi.I do agree with the dark leggings ,boots and bright tops thing,just dont have the tops too baggy as that just makes you look square .

MawBroon Fri 28-Sep-18 08:41:36

Have a look at the new John Lewis collection. Lovely colours!

lemongrove Fri 28-Sep-18 08:27:07

I like the sound of the toque Jane ?
I may be the only GNer who doesn’t like purple though, so I would have to buy one in green.
I shall hit the shops next week looking at Autumn styles but may give M&S a miss.