Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A hairy problem

(16 Posts)
sluttygran Tue 02-Oct-18 15:21:18

I have seen several threads about thinning hair, and I’m badly affected.
My hair is so sparse and fine that I am almost decided upon having a wig - or even several - in order to look smart again.
Vanity apart, it’ll probably keep my head warm during the approaching winter!
Any tips or recommendations from those of you already brave enough to invest in some ‘scalp furniture’?

KatyK Tue 02-Oct-18 16:26:06

I have lost all my hair through alopecia. It's no fun, there is no help. I didn't want a wig. I have a (quite expensive) hair system, which is just like my own hair but wouldn't be for everyone. There are a few threads on GN on hair loss which may help you.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Oct-18 17:23:44

I have thinning hair especially on the back so bought a wig. It always itched after a short while and all I wanted to do was take the thing off, preferably with a flourish, but didn’t because my own hair woukd be stuck to my head, so suffered til I got home.
The other thing I thought was it looked and felt fake because it was so much thicker than my thinning hair which I was used to.
It’s now back in its box. It wasn’t the most expensive one so that may be the reason for the itching, but it wasn’t that cheap either (around £200).

geera Mon 08-Oct-18 11:28:03

I've been 'loitering' for some time, but never joined in. However, having seen so many of you with a hair-loss problem, which is my curse also, I felt duty bound to chip in. I've had long, thick hair all my life, and was mortified to see how much I was losing; the partings are noticeably wider! I was recommended ROOTS recently, and after a couple of weeks I can honestly say the 'plug test' is showing a definite improvement. I use the shampoo, conditioner and serum and am hopeful. I NEVER recommend or endorse, but we all need a helping hand sometime. Also, it won't break the bank, which is good to know.

sluttygran Mon 08-Oct-18 11:32:09

I shall try that, geera.
Thanks for the hint. I was getting quite excited about buying a wig, but I don’t fancy the itching which some have complained of!

itsmaira Tue 22-Jan-19 05:42:03

I also face the same issue.
Here is a story of my hair.
From the start i like short hair but not too short. My mum's demand always to increase the length of my hair. So there is always a conflict between me and mum so i decided to grow my hair not too much but a medium length.
But due to water issue r my negligence my hair became thin and even dead at the edges.
Then i trimmed my hair monthly and apply some oil.
After few months it came back to normal but i never get back like earlier.
But i set my goal to grow my hair with proper care so that i get them back shiny and thick.

LullyDully Tue 22-Jan-19 08:14:21

I have worn a wig for years due to alopecia. A sad business but I have grown to accept it due to lack of cboice. A wig is good if you can find the right person to advise you and cut it where it is thick. I couldn't go out bald like some do. I feel more confident in a wig and just accept it as something I wear. I even get complements on the colour which feels odd and I keep quiet. Good luck sluttygran.

PS no itching, just very hot last summer!!

Luckygirl Tue 22-Jan-19 08:59:49

I look at a lot of women (particularly young women) and am appalled at the way they "scrag" their hair back from their faces in such a fierce way. I do not think it looks nice at all; and you can see how their hair is gradually thinning from the front. And then they get themselves "slug eyebrows" to accentuate the mass of forehead - nuts!

I have a friend who I am sure wears a wig - it looks really nice.

dragonfly46 Tue 22-Jan-19 09:05:23

I am taking Anastrozole for breast cancer and have noticed my hair has stopped growing and is thinner. I have very short hair and usually have it cut every 6 weeks but it is 8 weeks now and no longer.

Poppyred Tue 22-Jan-19 11:34:52

If it’s thinning on the crown Toppik hair building fibres is brilliant at filling in the gaps and looks very natural and comes in every hair colour.

If it’s beyond that stage then you will probably have to find a good wig shop and take advice. The only alternative at present is a hair system such as Lucinda David I think she’s called, she has a salon in London and Manchester and involves sticking a net on the scalp and weaving hair through it. It’s very expensive and you would need an appointment every 6weeks for maintenance. Hope this helps.
London and Manchester

KatyK Tue 22-Jan-19 15:09:52

Just a point. It's Lucinda Ellery. I go to a similar salon in Birmingham. Yes it's expensive but I'm not sure what I would have done if I hadn't found it. Losing all your hair is soul destroying.

Anja Tue 22-Jan-19 15:50:02

KatyK ?

KatyK Tue 22-Jan-19 15:53:57

Thank you Anja. I have written many posts on here about it. No fun but people are going through worse.

MawBroon Tue 29-Jan-19 11:21:01

22January from the same poster

I also face the same issue. Here is a story of my hair
From the start i like short hair but not too short. My mum's demand always to increase the length of my hair. So there is always a conflict between me and mum so i decided to grow my hair not too much but a medium length
But due to water issue r my negligence my hair became thin and even dead at the edges
Then i trimmed my hair monthly and apply some oil
After few months it came back to normal but i never get back like earlier.
But i set my goal to grow my hair with proper care so that i get them back shiny and thick .

confusedconfused

MawBroon Tue 29-Jan-19 11:22:17

Sorry wrong thread

blondenana Tue 29-Jan-19 23:13:16

geera do you think the ROOTS system is really helping,i bought some but i dont seem to have had much luck with it,and the plastic bottle has caved in so doesnt squeeze very well, i will persevere for a bit longer though
I was shocked when i saw how sparse my hair was at the back and on the crown, my hair at the front is quite thick so looks deceiving at first glance