Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Coat Suggestions!

(15 Posts)
GlamGran23 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:40:31

Looking for a practical coat for everyday wear.

Price not so important - want something that will last and is good quality.

Any suggestions would be really great!

M0nica Mon 17-Dec-18 16:58:24

Depends on your size, shape, height, colouring, price range, colour preferences, style preferences.

silverlining48 Mon 17-Dec-18 17:00:38

Go into a few shops and try some on. Take a friend if you want another opinion. If money isn’t an issue try a deopartment store.

seacliff Mon 17-Dec-18 17:09:28

Well I was away last weekend, walking around a city in extremely heavy rain. Unfortunately I found that my warm and light coat was not at all water resistant! I wished I'd brought my frumpy but trusty old Lakeland squall.

It all depends what you want/need.

MiniMoon Mon 17-Dec-18 17:50:40

What type of coat are you after? I have a Regatta water resistant coat with a hood, and I have a smart wool coat with matching scarf for more dressy occasions when going out.
I got my Regatta coat in a sale, so it was a bargain.

DoraMarr Mon 17-Dec-18 18:58:40

Hmm, you haven’t given us much to go on, so I suspect you don’t really know what sort of coat you need. Ask yourself:
When am I going to wear it?
Do I need a smart coat?
What fabric- wool or padded/quiltednylon?
Do I need my coat to be waterproof?
What length do I want- hip length, knee length, mid- thigh or long?
What colours do I look best in?
What shape suits me best- single breasted, cocoon shape, fitted, double breasted, belted?
Perhaps you could look online first, then when you have a rough idea visit a large department store and try on some coats.
Hope this helps!

Grammaretto Mon 17-Dec-18 21:32:52

I sometimes see what others are wearing and wonder what that would look like on me!
At my age I tend to go for comfort, rainproof, and warmth and try for a colour I like.
I tried on a gorgeous boiled wool, deep blue, Danish coat costing £££ but after a quick dream and twirl decided I wouldn't wear it enough to justify the expense.
I usually wear a lined raincoat all winter. Seasalt and Landsend both have good quality, sensible coats on their websites.

annep Mon 17-Dec-18 23:58:32

I like my knee length duvet coat so cosy and has hood but I have a wool dressier coat too. have others but these are what I wear mostly. Dress coat is black tweed which is very practical. However I am going to get a camel coat. I love camel coats and they don't date.

Humbertbear Tue 18-Dec-18 08:29:09

My standard everyday winter wear is always a padded coat with a hood from M n S. They have various styles over quite wide price range. The only completely waterproof coat I ever had was a wax jacket. Ten hours in the rain and I was completely dry inside.

M0nica Tue 18-Dec-18 08:39:18

In my case it is coats for conditions: The dark grey Jacques Vert, warm, elegant, good for going to town, over dresses and when I want to make jeans look chic, quilted 3/4 coat, very warm and cosy, goes over almost anything, scarlet boucle wool 3/4 coat, goes over trousers, it is the wrong colour for either of my dresses, cosy and warm. Big vintage faux fur coat, cosy round the neck. My go to-coat when temperatures fall below 0 degrees. Looks good anywhere over everything

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 09:04:19

My most used coat at this time of year is a Seasalt totally waterproof one. It’s bright yellow but they have plenty of colours. On a really cold day I add a jumper, scarf and hat.

Teetime Tue 18-Dec-18 09:04:27

Duvet type coats are popular this year- got mine from Hobbs in the sale- fabulously warm.

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 09:05:41

I have a lovely long, mid shin length black pure wool coat if I want to look smart. It’s warm and cosy.

londongran55 Tue 18-Dec-18 09:45:24

Hi GlamGran!

Hasn't it got cold?

I have recently brought a wonderful coat from Four Seasons London.
The coat I purchased was the 3/4 length jacket with an inner Gilet.
(https://fourseasonslondon.co/autumn-2018/3-4-length-jacket-with-gilet-inner-pebble)

Can't explain how warm it is, I went for the pebble colour, however it is prone to getting dirty.

Hope this helps.

LG xxx

Thingmajig Tue 18-Dec-18 11:10:35

www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/waterproof-jackets-raincoats/all-rain/fleece-lined-waterproof-womens-janelle-coat_squid_ink.htm?cm_re=Rain-_-B2-_-JanelleL1&cm_sp=FP-_-JanelleL1-_-RainB2

This is the coat I bought this year and it's fabulous. Properly waterproof, warm and long enough to protect from the worst of the weather.