Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

how should I wear a new scarf?

(18 Posts)
Stansgran Mon 31-Dec-18 12:37:34

I need advice. My style is rather frumpy/ dowdy. My clothes are usually bought from East( defunct) Fenwick/John Lewis or M&S. They are often years old. For Christmas DH has given me a spectacular Hermès scarf- pure silk, handrolled edge in pinks , oranges and just rather psychedelic. My existing winter coat is grey, and spring coat is camel. ( told you I was frumpy) I'm going in for a knee operation in under a fortnight so I need something that I can get on line. I don't want DH to think I don't like the scarf. The lovely man tries very hard. I've looked at jaeger and they have nothing i feel would complement the scarf. I think I would need a funnel type neck. I'm asking here because I wanted a denim jacket some years ago and I was told Orvis on here and I'm still wearing it.
Please help.

Telly Mon 31-Dec-18 12:43:42

Have a look on You tube there are loads of demos, much easier to get the hang of it when there is a demonstration. Nothing wrong with your style! I was in JL with DD, when I mentioned that I liked Mint Velvet. She scanned the displays and said 'you would, they're your colours'. Needless to say they were black, grey and navy in the main. Just like my wardrobe. Enjoy your gift!!

MawBroon Mon 31-Dec-18 12:52:27

Wow, serious scarf envy!
You dont say if it is square or rectangular.
If square, try a triangle loosely tied at the back to fill in the neckof a coat or jacket.
Or if rectangular loop once round your neck and let the ends hang down
There is also the Mary Berry where you fold it once, loop (folded) round the neck and pass the “open” ends trough the loop in different directions.
Probably garrotted yourself by now!
I’ll try to find the YouTube vid for you.

MawBroon Mon 31-Dec-18 12:54:42

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKcwnoGCak

Lisagran Mon 31-Dec-18 12:55:21

stansgran - are you looking for hints as to how to tie your new scarf - or ideas for clothes (a funnel necked top?) with which to wear it?

Stansgran Mon 31-Dec-18 15:26:49

Well both. The scarf is very slippy and I need a coat to set it off or complement it. I didn't think of you tube. It's a square scarf - a carré the French call it. I think it may become an heirloom!

Lisagran Mon 31-Dec-18 15:42:16

I need a coat to set it off - my kind of shopper, Stansgran grin

Grandma70s Mon 31-Dec-18 16:05:34

My son gave me a similar Hermes scarf years ago. I don’t think I’ve worn it more than once, though I still have it. It is, as you say, very ‘slippy’.

Marydoll Mon 31-Dec-18 16:07:01

Stansgran, it sounds lovely.
If you are looking for ideas, try Pinterest.
Search: How to wear a scarf There are lots of ideas.

merlotgran Mon 31-Dec-18 16:31:33

I need a coat to set it off made me laugh as well.

I've said on other threads that I am not a scarf fan and just don't 'get' the amount of scarfage some people are prepared to put up with around their necks.

However...….I do like the way Joanna Lumley wears a scarf simply tied and usually with a black top so that's about the limit of my scarf skills.

mumofmadboys Mon 31-Dec-18 16:44:03

I enjoyed watching your your tube Maw. But what an elegant lady! She would of looked good in anything!

shysal Mon 31-Dec-18 16:54:15

I think the colours you describe would go well with your camel coat, but don't let that stop you buying something new! smile

janeainsworth Mon 31-Dec-18 17:22:23

I know your existing coat is grey stansgran but perhaps it just needs updating?
I like this from M&S www.marksandspencer.com/petite-textured-single-breasted-coat/p/p60200064?image=SD_01_T49_1409P_T0_X_EC_90&color=GREY&prevPage=plp

J52 Mon 31-Dec-18 17:52:06

Lucky lady, what a lovely present.
Please don’t be tempted to pin it in any way as it will spoil the silk fabric.
A scarf ring ( rather old fashioned) to thread it through, will keep it from slipping. You will probably get one very cheaply on eBay.

JackyB Mon 31-Dec-18 18:04:32

The video was nicely done but she drove me mad talking about "diameter" and she couldn't tie a reef knot. I was expecting something more original, too. I think Inhave worn scarves all those ways.

As for Stansgran' question. If the scarf is so colourful you can surely only wear it with a neutral coloured coat. Pin it down as they can easily blow away. (I sucked one off my neck with the vacuum cleaner once!

oldbatty Mon 31-Dec-18 18:08:10

Right, get yourself along to a department store ( Debenhams) is good and see a personal shopper.
I have also used John Lewis and the person looked about 12 but turned out to be brilliant at her job.

Take the scarf as your starting point.

DoraMarr Mon 31-Dec-18 18:12:05

I agree with Oldbatty. You might be surprised- there are a lot of beautiful coats in bright colours that might pick up one of the colours in your scarf. Wear with pride and happiness.

oldbatty Mon 31-Dec-18 18:23:27

The 12 year old made me stand in front of a full length mirror and we discovered my shoulders are small and my derriere is not small. Armed with this information and a quick glance at my pallid complexion, she returned with clothes that fitted and looked good!