Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Jeans

(23 Posts)
Hathori Sat 09-Feb-19 17:49:39

Where to get and what brand, good jeans that look elegant and keep their shape, for a short plump lady. (moi). Please?

Jane10 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:07:22

'Not your daughters jeans'? Expensive but worth it. All is safely gathered in...

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:06:40

Another vote here for NYDJ (not your daughters jeans) My D persuaded me to try on a multitude of Top Shop jeans, I was very impressed for the price. Their “Joni” range comes in different lengths and various colours, found the young staff so helpful.

FountainPen Sat 09-Feb-19 20:06:49

I'm 5'2", average rather than plump but dislike to way that a lot of jeans cling at the thighs. I've been buying Rohan's Venture jeans. At £80 not cheap but soft touch fabric and very comfortable. They only seem to come in black and a seasonal colour - last was aubergine.

dragonfly46 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:14:03

I like Next jeans that stretch all ways. I also used to buy NYDJ but usually when I went to the US. So much cheaper there.

Helennonotion Sat 09-Feb-19 20:44:37

Dorothy Perkins are the only jeans on the planet that seem to fit me, without that gape at the back! They last a good while and they do different lengths, seem to keep their shape too.

Hathori Sun 10-Feb-19 15:58:24

Oh these NYDJ ones look so good. I am not hugely plump, just a size 14 but being 5ft makes one look dumpy very easily. I am also looking at the Rohan site and can look into Next shop, thank you girls.

shysal Sun 10-Feb-19 16:16:42

I buy my NYDJs on Ebay . There are often bargains to be found. There are sometimes cheap bootcut ones which are not so popular these days, but they can be cut down to make cropped jeans for the summer. I don't even hem them, just roll up a couple of times.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Feb-19 16:24:47

Not your daughter’s jeans? My last two pairs were my daughter’s (I love a good cast off). Checking the labels I see they were from Top Shop, and are both beyond reproach. I have a few pairs of M & S jeggings too, that fit and last well. Though I must say that last time I looked they were offering far too many different styles and fits and I couldn’t find one pair that were just right.

Anja Sun 10-Feb-19 16:30:43

I don’t think jeans can ever look ‘elegant’. Suggest you lower your standards and just strive for looking ‘good’.

The trick is to make sure your posterior is covered if you are more than a size 12.

Grammaretto Sun 10-Feb-19 16:39:03

My favourite were from BHS! Boo hoo. Not too tight but gently elasticated. Straight leg and only £15 in their closing down sale.
Who took over their stock or rather who made their stock?
It wasn't M&S.

NotAGran55 Sun 10-Feb-19 16:49:11

Another vote for NYDJ. I like straight jeans and they are the perfect width for me . 5’2” on a tall day and the American 8P is perfect for my curvy UK 12 rear .

Nanah67 Sun 10-Feb-19 16:51:51

I used to buy nyjd but I discovered robel.
Lots of designs plenty of stretch they have winter and summer styles and weights. They cost roughly 50 pounds but last for years. They are very comfy and come in all sizes they are very slimming.

Scribbles Sun 10-Feb-19 18:40:04

Lands End are the only jeans that have ever fitted me perfectly and I never buy any other kind.

Hathori Wed 13-Feb-19 17:52:01

Will look at Robel and Lands End, not heard of these brands. Thank you smile

52bright Wed 13-Feb-19 18:20:35

I get m and s jeans, jeggings and leggings. The short length is usually right for shortie 5ft me. The only way I can get a pair of remotely flattering jeans is to take as many different styles into the changing room then narrow them down. It sometimes takes two trips to the dressing room by the time I also compare 2 different sizes. Once I find a pair which are more or less flattering I use the code to repeat buy on line when the originals wear out ...until the style is discontinued ...then off I go again for a long session at M and S.

Hathori Fri 15-Feb-19 17:12:07

Oh dear that sounds exhausting 52bright!

Nannymags27 Tue 19-Feb-19 16:11:26

Bought some NYDJs some years back when they were the only ones I could find with a high (what I’d class as “normal”) waist. They were mega expensive - over £100 from John Lewis - but the fit was superb. After a couple of years, as the fabric was so soft, they developed holes between the upper thigh where they rub. To the extent that I’ve had to darn them (oh, yes!). Twice. And now I wear them for cleaning. What a waste of money! M&S jeans used to be a fab fit & proper denim but, sadly, those days are long gone.

RosieLeah Tue 19-Feb-19 16:32:54

I agree with Anja...jeans are strictly casual wear. I haven't worn jeans since I was a teenager. They just don't look right on older, 'fuller figures'.

sroge Sat 23-Feb-19 14:29:24

Love my jeans and will wear them until I am ancient! I like Debenhams ones from their Mantary range.

Hilltopgran Sat 23-Feb-19 18:10:27

I find cotton traders straight leg jeans are a good quality and fit and a reasonable price. I have not found any others that fit as well or are as comfortable. They are available in different leg lengths and colour, I have dark indigo and black which wash well and do not loose their colour or shape.

NotTooOld Tue 19-Mar-19 17:27:14

I usually wear jeggings, the best ones being from White Stuff, but I would really like some jeggings that are not so tight in the leg as my legs seems to be getting bigger with age. They must have an elasticated waist though. Has anyone come across any, please?

dj123 Wed 27-Mar-19 06:36:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.