Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Covering a bald patch

(10 Posts)
jellybeanjean Fri 15-Feb-19 12:53:12

Afternoon all. I've recently had an arterial biopsy above my left ear; the side of my head has been shaved and I have a long scar. Not a pretty sight. I have ear length silver fine thinning hair and I really want to hide the bald patch as it will take a while to grow back; I can't wear/won't wear a hat because my head is sensitive at the moment. I thought about trying a clip in hair thing piece a la Claire's accessories; DD says don't you dare (so I will!) Seriously, though: where should i start looking?

tanith Fri 15-Feb-19 13:00:45

Could you not tolerate a silk scarf tied bandana style for the time being? Sorry I don’t know anything about hair adornments.

jellybeanjean Fri 15-Feb-19 13:19:49

I could probably tolerate silk, but my hair is so fine it would slip off unless I tied it very tightly which is what i can't do. But thanks!

FountainPen Fri 15-Feb-19 14:20:53

Maybe something from the Christine range of caps and scarves?

www.trendco.co.uk/our-brochures

MacCavity2 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:39:35

How about a little soft cashmere hat it would be light as a feather and warm. It will make you feel good to get out doors.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Feb-19 16:06:47

why not have the rest of your hair cut quite short and not worry about covering it instead wear your scar with pride. Hair grows quite quickly, or there are wide soft stretchy cotton bands which can go round heads, necks, double up as hats which my daughter used post chemo. I think sea salt do them in lots of pretty colours and designs.

MissAdventure Fri 15-Feb-19 16:55:09

Try the clip in thingy that you fancy, as well as any other reasonably priced things, and then you'll have an idea of what works for you.
Have a selection, and have a trying out session.

M0nica Fri 15-Feb-19 17:36:40

Personally, and I appreciate, that this is a personal view, I would just let it show and not worry about covering it up.

DD has a huge scar covering a third of her lower right arm, which she has for life. She just wears what she wants and doesn't bother whether the scar shows or not.

jellybeanjean Fri 15-Feb-19 21:05:04

Ooh just looked at the Seasalt range. Gorgeous headbands ?

silverlining48 Sat 16-Feb-19 12:36:01

Yes jellybean, and versatile as well.