Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Colours to suit you

(14 Posts)
Carolina55 Fri 15-Mar-19 22:06:25

Has any had their colour chart done? I looked into it many years ago as I always had difficulty with reds and was told I needed bluer tones rather than orange ones.

Since then I stopped dyeing my dark brown hair and it’s silver and gunmetal at the back and it’s more obvious than ever that I can’t do autumn or jungle colours like orange, khaki etc.

My eye must be getting better as I get older as I seem to gravitate more towards blues, lilacs and pinks although I do envy my friends who can carry the tawny lion look with their hair and clothes.

Jessity Fri 15-Mar-19 22:48:55

I had mine done some years ago and it made, and continues to make a huge difference.

I’m an Autumn, shades of autumn leaves, hadn’t thought of tawny lion, I like it! I look terrible in pink, grey, black, white.

Style makes a difference too, I know to steer clear of fussy detail, large patterns, too much extra fabric, I need clean lines, small patterns, neat detail.

It seemed expensive at the time but I reckon I must have saved by only buying what I know suits me.

MiniMoon Fri 15-Mar-19 23:18:49

I did mine online. I discovered that I suit cool colours best, so I stick to blues, purples pinks and all shades of grey/silver. It's made clothes shopping so much easier too.

NotAGran55 Sat 16-Mar-19 00:01:40

I had my colours done over 25 years ago and it’s the best money I have ever spent . No more costly mistakes and lots of compliments on how well I look smile

Shirleyw Sat 16-Mar-19 04:29:44

That's a good idea, I forgotten about colour charts. Where did you get yours done?

M0nica Sat 16-Mar-19 07:35:52

I am puzzled, can you not see whether a colour suits you or not when you try a garment on?

Liz46 Sat 16-Mar-19 07:43:53

Yes, I had my colours done many years ago and was told pink and grey are my colours. I wish I had the will power to stick to this but I see something I like and buy it even if I have nothing to go with it!

I remember the lady who did the testing putting different colour scarves round me and I realised what a difference the various colours make.

kittylester Sat 16-Mar-19 07:57:52

I had mine done and discovered I am summer and I think it has made a difference to how I shop.

I'm baffled by how you can do it on line, mini, as I don't really have an eye for colour.

dragonfly46 Sat 16-Mar-19 08:07:31

I had mine done but didn’t agree with it and now my hair is grey I would need to have it done again I suppose. I just wear what I feel good in on the day and it varies depending on my mood.

Anniebach Sat 16-Mar-19 10:00:38

Never had it done, have always worn blues and greens, don’t
Like warm colours, red, orange,yellow , makes me feel uncomfortable

Lazigirl Sat 16-Mar-19 10:04:41

I agree Anniebach. I think you have an instinct about what suits you by the colours you gravitate towards. I would never go for brown, orange or yellow.

glammanana Sat 16-Mar-19 10:10:19

I had mine done quite a few years ago at a colours party about8 of us went to a friends house and a lady draped us all in shiffon scarf's,we picked what we thought siuted us then she made her selection and what a differance the trained eye makes.
My colours are mauve,pink's and creams and I have tended to add at least one of the colours daily.
Remember if you have your colours done to match your lipstick and foundation to a correct shade.

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Mar-19 16:16:57

I'm Autumn too, and naturally gravitate towards those colours, though I do seem to have a lot of blue in my wardrobe as well.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Mar-19 17:07:02

Regarding hair colour I have dark brown eyes and mid to dark brown hair. I used to love getting blonde and caramel highlights but since retiring we spend half the year in Malaga and the sun would make my hair yellow/brassy and with a red face (always sun cream though) it wasn’t a good look - plus it was expensive!

I now have my hair bleached to an ash colour with dark lowlights at a salon in Spain and it’s a much better look.

I would love to have my colours done though for clothes. Bit late now - plus I’m too parsimonious to throw out any of the ‘wrong’ colour clothes!