Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Anyone given up the dye & gone for grey?

(129 Posts)
Kandinsky Mon 18-Mar-19 13:14:57

I’m only 54 ( only she says grin ) but fighting a losing battle.
I’m so tired of having to cover the grey literally every month. Wondering if any of you just gave up & felt better for it!

Thank you.

ali2810 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:43:49

I have vitiligo which now affects most of my body, including my eyebrows and hair! Dying was proving very difficult so I now have bright white hair; apparently it looks great and not ageing at all - people often say I look much younger than my 59 years!

Theoddbird Tue 19-Mar-19 18:33:06

I started dying my hair metallic silver. I now have lovely grey hair with a sparkle to it. It did take a while but having it trimmed regularly helped

Magrithea Tue 19-Mar-19 18:22:57

I bit the bullet nearly 3 years ago and haven't regretted it Kandinsky, It was liberating after being tied to regular (and costly) appointments with my hairdresser for colour and I'm lucky that, although not completely grey, the colour my hair is I like.

It took a while to grow out (about 18 months) but worth it in the end so be brave and do it!!

Nanniewonka Tue 19-Mar-19 17:30:59

At the age of 55 after several years of fending off the inevitable, I went au naturelle. I have never regretted my decision as my hair went completely silver within a couple of years and looked much brighter than the dye I was using.

73 now, and after many years of the ubiquitous old lady bob, I have had it cut very short, Judy Dench-esque and given up the hairdryer. Very liberating!

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:29:28

i have gone grey, and am loving it

dragonfly46 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:56:45

My hairdresser recommended that I should stop highlighting my hair as it was a lovely natural colour. Saved me loads of time and money. I love the natural look.

Day6 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:47:14

I am fair skinned and started going grey in my 20s - people then asked if the light bits of my hair were 'streaks' (as they used to be called.)

I used to dye my hair but stopped about ten years ago, in my 50s, and embraced the silver white that I am. I have thick hair. When I was last at the hairdressers I asked her if my silver hair made me look washed out/old and should I change the colour. She said no, and I was never to dye it. "People pay a fortune to have hair this colour!" she said. She called it 'platinum blonde'. Sounds better than silvery white I suppose! grin

TanaMa Tue 19-Mar-19 16:36:18

Like my Mum I have only just started to go grey at the 'sideburns' and am 84. Not sure what I will do when it speeds up - as long as it is silver/white and not like a brillo pad I won't mind.

Helen2806 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:09:08

I went grey about a year ago and have had so many compliments. My hair is in better condition too.

Nanny41 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:58:11

I love my silver locks and have short hair to match it, receive many compliments so it cant be bad.

Liz46 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:56:48

I hate dyed hair probably because my mother used to dye her hair jet black until eventually she grew it out. Black hair looks too harsh on older people. A colleague did the same thing and probably reinforced my opinion.

I do agree with other posters that a good cut makes all the difference.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Mar-19 15:44:41

I love your hair, greytin
I'm sometimes tempted myself to go for a short, shaved look, but not really brave enough anymore.
(Or good looking enough!)

Hm999 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:25:50

Highlights. And maybe a few lowlights

hdh74 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:17:31

Love that Greytin94 - and I so agree about the style making all the difference. Yours looks great from the back.

I love your purple GrannyBeek

newnanny Tue 19-Mar-19 15:15:07

I have been wondering just the same thing. I am 57 and have to dye every 5 weeks. I have long hair which I put up into ponytail most of the time but leave it loose occasionally. I have it trimmed every three months and 2 inches cut off every six months so in good condition and shines. I don't ware make up unless I go out in the evening. I just hate the grey washed out look. Apart from this I am told I look much younger than my years. I suppose I worry I will look old with grey hair so must be more vain than I realised.

mrscake1 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:59:53

I stopped dying my hair in my late 40's and although I don't like it everyone I know comments on how attractive it looks. The only thing is I feel invisible. Everyone presumes you are over 60 which I hate as I am still in my 50's. Just don't want to go back to dying it again.

MaggieTulliver Tue 19-Mar-19 14:37:53

I was very dark in a past life and started colouring my hair in my 40s. It's been a darkish blond since then but now at 61 I've decided to let the grey rule. I've had so many compliments - luckily it's a shiny silver although I still have some dark in it. I have a chic short layered bob with a long fringe which looks quite youthful. I've made peace with my hair and have never been happier with it.

Greytin94 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:37:38

I’m 49 and been going grey since my 20’s. After fighting a losing battle for some time ( and an expensive one) I took the plunge last summer to go grey. I couldn’t afford to have my hair stripped, it was shoulder length brown , or cope with it just growing out naturally. So I decided to be quite radical and shaved my head for McMillan. I raised a large sum for a good cause and solved the going grey conundrum in one fail swoop.
I’ve kept my hair very short since and everyone loves my new colour and style. They all seem to think I look younger, despite the grey.
So my advice just be brave and go for it. A good style is the answer to not looking old.

fifeywifey Tue 19-Mar-19 14:30:22

I've embraced my grey hair after years of having my hair dyed blonde. My hairdresser started the transition by adding a lot of bleached streaks into my hair. On her recommendation I used a violet coloured shampoo to combat any yellow from the bleaching. A short choppy haircut removed a lot of the remaining blonde.

I'm so glad I took the plunge and love my white/silver hair which is now in great condition. I would say though that I take a bit more care with my make up to avoid a washed out look.

What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it you can always get your hair dyed again. Go for it!

kwest Tue 19-Mar-19 14:22:22

Two younger friends from my Pilates class were trying to describe another class member."Much older lady". I said "You are just being polite , you really mean me". They said "Oh no, you know who we mean, she is tiny with white hair".
The lady they were talking about is indeed tiny, with almost a boyish figure, she is so slim and with pure white hair. I know we are similar in age but nothing else. But she does have the look of a little old lady, albeit a fit little old lady. It put me right off any idea of letting my hair go white.

Shirls52000 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:20:07

I m 62 and have coloured my hair for as long as I can remember, I m lucky that I didn t go grey until quite late but I am blonde, dyed and proud as I just don t suit grey hair. My friend on the other hand had had white hair since her 20 s, she dyed it briefly a few years ago but it just didn t look right, she is now white haired once more and looks gorgeous. At the end of the day it’s all down to what makes you feel good about yourself xx

Daisyboots Tue 19-Mar-19 14:15:45

I have always coloured my hair myself but when I got to 70 I started to gradually lighten the colour to a lght ash blonde. I stopped altogether in 2017 and as my hair is short was soon silver all over. My DH didnt want me to stop colouring my hair although he has white hair (silver fox he says) because he thought I would be a grey mixture but I have taken after my Dad in hair colour.
My DD is 53 and a year or so ago she was fed up with her hair so she took the hair clippers to it. A number 6 so very short. Her hair is a mixture of colours brown grey and white and as she keeps it quite short it looks very stylish. Some people would pay the earth to have their hair coloured like hers so go ahead and enjoy the freedom of not having to keep colouring your hair.

blue60 Tue 19-Mar-19 13:17:34

I'm naturally blonde. Stopped having highlights done a year ago and my hair is in much better condition with just a cut every other month. I'm lucky to have good hair.

I don't care about trying to look younger and have decided to be natural.

Patticake123 Tue 19-Mar-19 13:08:10

Just do it. I got fed up of having my roots done every 6 weeks and I’ve never regretted it. My hair is a peculiar mix of pure white on top and badger grey at the back and sides but with a good cut, I still get the occasional compliments. It’s definitely ageing to have your hair coloured, everyone knows what your doing. Be brave, you’ll love it and the extra money in your purse can be spent on gorgeous treats!

Caro57 Tue 19-Mar-19 12:20:00

I ‘went gray’ - LOVE it, liberating, kinder to my hair, better for my skin tone, cheaper and easier!