Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Styling product for hair

(11 Posts)
clementine Mon 25-Mar-19 12:12:25

I have a layered bob hairstyle, which looks fine when I leave the hairdresser's but I am finding it increasingly difficult to manage it between salon visits. I should add I have very oily hair, nothing has improved that not even getting old( er) ! I wonder sometimes do I use too many products. I always shampoo with a volumising one , currently using Aussie Volume and follow up with a light conditioner on the ends. Today I also applied PK Elasticiser which I had a sample of to try and make my hair look a bit better.

I do use Mousse as well to style, just wondering is there an alternative to Mousse that would give my hair a bit of body and hold the style .

It looks reasonable now as it's just been washed and blow dried but by tomorrow morning I will waken up looking like a haystack . I should add I get it coloured too.

NewNonna Fri 29-Mar-19 22:03:27

I use Nioxin spray to give volume to my fine hair but you could try dry shampoo at the roots for style. Batiste do a brilliant volumising dry shampoo. I picked up this tip from my daughter-in-law ?

FlexibleFriend Fri 29-Mar-19 22:14:49

When I ha a bob all I did was shampoo and conditioner and straighteners even though I have straight hair, the straighteners make it look very sleek.

phoenix Sat 30-Mar-19 07:22:36

VO5 do a volumising gel spray that is very good. You can find in many supermarkets for under £3, give that a try.

Put your head upside down (iykwim) spray, then go the right way up and finish styling.

(Mr P has very fine hair and uses it, but don't tell anyone wink)

kittylester Sat 30-Mar-19 07:29:14

I use the VO5 extra body mousse and find that helps.

Nanna58 Sat 30-Mar-19 08:09:28

Some volumising hair heroes, Living Proof if feeling flush, or Tigi Small Talk, both great for weightless non greasy volume.

Oldfossil Tue 02-Apr-19 08:19:40

This sounds odd, but it is working for me - try solid shampoo. It comes in a cardboard box,so saves a bit of plastic plus it is easier to pack when going on holiday. Thought I’d better try it out a few weeks before departure - wasn’t too hopeful and thought it might leave my hair feeling ‘claggy’. But no, it worked perfectly and my fly-away frizz suddenly had more body. It looks much sleeker,actually keeps its style and is not at all sticky. Altogether a good buy! The one I bought is called ‘Friendly Shampoo Bar’ - from a local health shop. (I also bought a solid conditioner from Lush, which seems fine.)

Willow10 Tue 02-Apr-19 08:26:44

I recently bought Neem soap on a Gnetters advice. I was very sceptical at first, didn't like the smell and it felt odd washing my hair with a bar of soap. But I've persevered for three washes and have to say I'm delighted with it. It lathers beautifully, I don't need a conditioner and I just use the tiniest amount of clear wax to smooth in before drying. My hair looks fuller and thicker too, without the weight of products.

clementine Tue 02-Apr-19 18:00:42

Thank you all so much Ladies for the advice and suggestions . Think I need to change my hairdresser as well, have been with the same one for 15 years but feel a divorce imminent !! He seems to have lost interest and my most recent cut is the worst yet. Have known him and his wife who also works site him since he was a junior so it's difficult !

clementine Tue 02-Apr-19 18:01:14

sorry with him not site him !

lemongrove Tue 02-Apr-19 19:29:55

Yes, change your hairdresser, I find after a while they take you for granted and stop bothering much.
I have similar hair clementine and never use a conditioner, just a golf ball sized blob of any mousse.
When half dry ( if I have time) I blast hair with hot hair dryer, then style it.
Btw, you, tangerine and I should all get together! ?