Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Acrylic nails

(65 Posts)
fizzers Sun 07-Apr-19 12:14:25

Anyone else wear acrylic false nails? just started with them since the new year, and I love them! the only time in my life I've had the long , painted nails that I always yearned for! But, just wondering, how long is it safe to keep wearing them? should there be a 'breathing' period? Anyone had nail problems with them?

80sMumIsaGranny Wed 17-Apr-19 09:44:46

My nails are still not great after having had two SNS (which is a powder dip acrylic) manicures last summer.

Prior to the first powder-dip manicure, my nails were quite long and strong. Since it was removed, my nails have been thinner, flaky and extremely brittle and prone to breaking, often vertical breaks which are very hard to deal with.

As much as I loved the look of my SNS manicured nails, I won't be having it done again!

Elenkalubleton Wed 17-Apr-19 08:34:25

Schnackie,you have to buy a bottle of acetone from chemist,not normal nail polish remover.That gets them off.
I’ve bought a DIY gel kit,from boots,that use occasionally.Find it very good.But yes they all ruin your nails.

Cosmos Thu 11-Apr-19 19:17:49

I know lots if idol,e that use and love them, all say tgey can't do without them. They wouldn't do for me, they ruin your nails and u would rather try and get them into condition. But they work for a lit of people.

Nanna58 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:07:34

Happily had a acrylics for around 15 years, when I have my break from them for a couple of weeks twice a year my nails absolutely fine, I can only imagine there are some terrible salons out there, never intend to be without mine!

crazyH Tue 09-Apr-19 21:34:44

OPgrndr .....I've heard that a daily egg is good for health.....and I do have a half boiled daily. My health isn't the best, but my nails are strong, very rarely chip and sadly they are my best feature ?

OPgrndtr Tue 09-Apr-19 21:29:10

I have never had any of those things done to my nails. I only had one manicure and was my wedding day with pink polish to match the flowers. Now I have kidney disease and a low protein diet. My nails started chipping and flaking until I started eating one egg each day. That makes them grow faster and stronger. I have to trim them for keyboarding now. (unbelievable, just one egg each day)

mimismo Tue 09-Apr-19 09:01:28

I saw something on internet by a trichologist (hair and nails expert) who suggester that nails needed equal time with no treatment at all as time spent covered with nail polish, false nails etc. I was checking because twice now, after a pedicure, I've been left with a whiite residue on the nail that cannot be removed without scraping. Maybe something for us all to bear in mind.

Saggi Tue 09-Apr-19 07:54:22

Having worked in heavy duty retail all my working life I’ve never had decent nails. It didn’t bother me as long as they were clean and short. But when my daughter was to be married 11 years ago I thought I’d give the false nails a try. Loved them for the day ...even got a compliment off the bride. But couldn’t use a till at work with them on or pick anything up. Most annoying articles . My old boss used to say she always looked at the nails of a woman wanting employment...if they cared about then too much it meant retail wasnt for them.Proved on more than one occasion to be so true!

Baloothefitz Tue 09-Apr-19 02:17:23

You must be very careful of the amount of bacteria under acrylic nails ,also mould fungus can grow between your own nail & the acrylic. Far better to use a good oil on your own nails & manicure them & use nice nail polish in my opinion.

Nanny123 Mon 08-Apr-19 22:15:32

I have always had horrible nails that split as soon as they started to grown to any decent length. I tried acrylics and found that the did ruin my nails so now I am getting the shellac ones done and they harden my nails and they grow to a great length - delighted with them.

jura2 Mon 08-Apr-19 20:33:42

Lots of interesting info and advice here:

www.livestrong.com/article/1004877-acrylic-nails-toxins/

Tangerine Mon 08-Apr-19 20:29:03

Many of my friends have had gel and acrylic nails. All of them have regretted it.

I'd avoid having them if I were you.

Daisyboots Mon 08-Apr-19 20:29:01

I have had gel on my nails for nearly 17 years. They were awful and always splitting before and they dont look as bad when I have the gel totally removed. Acetone has never been used to remove the gel and I have a wonderful beautician. My nails are not long because I have long filbert nails anyway so no need to to have them very long. My Mum was still having her nails gelled at 97. She loved them after having awful nails for many years. I remember her eating squares of jelly when I was young as it was supposed to strengthen nails.

Bazza Mon 08-Apr-19 20:22:14

Ickle I’ve also had nails ruined, I’ve found renovate by Leighton Denny very good. Quite expensive though. Available from John Lewis. Worked for me, took a while though.

Marian1412 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:25:41

Remover with acetone is used to remove Gel nails and this can be damaging. I used a strengthener on my finger nails which caused my nails to peel and flake. I later discovered it contained Formaldehyde. I am now using completely natural products from Cienna Rose and am happy with improvements.
Still have gel toe nails in summer, but give them a rest over the winter until time for sandals again.

ninathenana Mon 08-Apr-19 18:38:02

I agree quizqueen there are some awful designs and I hate the long stiletto look but my friend has hers done and they just look like well manicured nails.

quizqueen Mon 08-Apr-19 18:30:25

I hate fake anything. I've never understood why a woman would want those hideous, long fake nails.

Willow500 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:16:01

I've never had good nails - they break and split at the slightest thing and over the years I've had acrylics, gels and stick ons. I've gone months without having anything and tried all the strengthening remedies but nothing works for me. I have all the equipment to gel them myself but even that didn't stay on so have gone back to having acrylic. My own nails grew under them so last week they were soaked off and overlays put on which are basically acrylics without the false tips. I've been out gardening today and my nails still look perfect.

Marian1412 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:15:17

Remover with acetone is used to remove Gel nails and this can be damaging. I used a strengthener on my finger nails which caused my nails to peel and flake. I later discovered it contained Formaldehyde. I am now using completely natural products from Cienna Rose and am happy with improvements.
Still have gel toe nails in summer, but give them a rest over the winter until time for sandals again.

Horton1828 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:55:28

* good

Horton1828 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:54:32

I’ve had acrylics for about 10 years now... love, love, love them. I’ll worry about the consequences when I retire in 3 years time. I have had several breaks from them, surgeries etc. On a break at the moment, usually about 3 months, yes they are fragile, but there’s worse things to worry about. I do also believe it’s about the quality of the product and workmanship. I go to a fabulous salon, the girls are very food and conscientious about their work. Will definitely have them back on for the summer. ?‍♀️?

Caro57 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:41:33

Ruined my nails, took MONTHS for them to recover (still not brilliant) and would NEVER do again

Edgeways Mon 08-Apr-19 16:37:39

I use a small bottle of tea tree oil specifically for nails from Holland and Barratt and it has been helpful for my nails after gel nails as it rehydrates them and gets rid of any white lines or spots which the gel seems to cause. Then I use Nail Envy for a few days which strengthens them.

pce612 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:32:04

I would never have acrylic nails after reading all of the nightmare stories.
My natural nails are grow well but are soft, flakey and split. I treated myself to a shellac polish manicure which looked great until the polish grew out and had to be removed by soaking in acetone so I didn't bother again, although it did seem to make my nails feel harder.
Trawling the web I found a product called Gellux recovery+basecoat. It needs an ultraviolet light source to cure it (I already had one but you can get them on ebay).
What I do is remove any polish, make sure nails are perfectly dry and apply a thin coat of Gellux, cure for 2 minutes under ultra violet lamp and then wipe off the sticky residue with nail varnish remover.
I then use an ordinary nail varnish and top coat as usual. I use nail varnish remover to take off old polish - the gel coat stays put - and re-apply new colour etc. It has made my nails really strong. Could be worth a try. www.justmylook.com › Nails › Gel Polish

SueB20 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:04:22

Sorry managed to post the same info twice